Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2005, 08:38 AM   #1

I did a post on here recently about how I made some cheap awning deflappers using a ball bungie and a clip I found at Home Depot.
Last night I got a Camping World sales flyer in the mail and they had this same clip on SALE for the nominal price of $4.99, regular $6.99 for a set of 4. They called it the "Crocodile Clip"
I paid $0.97 for this exact same clip at Home Depot.

WW FS2300
twinbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2005, 08:38 AM   #2

I did a post on here recently about how I made some cheap awning deflappers using a ball bungie and a clip I found at Home Depot.
Last night I got a Camping World sales flyer in the mail and they had this same clip on SALE for the nominal price of $4.99, regular $6.99 for a set of 4. They called it the "Crocodile Clip"
I paid $0.97 for this exact same clip at Home Depot.

WW FS2300
Old 11-16-2005, 09:05 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
If you paid .97 for each of the clips plus bungie cord at Home Depot, then Camping World's set of 4 for 4.99 seems to be about the same, isn't it?
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 10:42 AM   #4

Theirs do not include bungie cords, nor did mine but I bought my bungies for $0.25 so for $1.22 each it is still cheaper than their set of four clips. What amazed me is they list their regular price at $6.99 for four clips. So I can make a pair of awning deflappers for $2.44 or I can buy a pair of awning deflappers from CW that range in price from $7.99-$22.99 a pair.
I know there is a thing called "New Math" but I use the old math and it dosn't seem to be about the same to me.

TB

WW FS2300
Old 11-16-2005, 03:07 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I didnt realize theirs didnt include the bungie cord. You are right, often times, we can go out and buy the parts and make things cheaper than the RV stores sell them for. But I guess for many, it is the convenience of having them right there for the taking. And also, many people wont realize that the various parts are available at places like Home Depot, etc.
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 05:06 PM   #6

TB:

I couldn't agree with you more - I HATE THAT PLACE! And just for that reason- there may be some items there you can't get from anywhere else, but only because they're crap. It's certainly a last resort shopping experience for me.

I actually TRIED to buy something from them a little over a week ago- dropped in (the last minute before we left out of town) to grab an oil filter for my Onan 5.5 generator....OUT OF STOCK. Prolly the most popular genset out right now, and they were out! My local RV guy had it, though, $3 cheaper!

Gawd...imagine ANYONE having ervice done there- YIKES!!!

And thanks for the earlier tip- I went to Home Depot and got exactly what you did, and I've used them a few times, and they work juuuussssst fine. Although, I have to admit, I believe the clips cost me $0.99 instead of $0.97!!!!!

Take care!

Sean
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 05:24 PM   #7

Sean, that just goes to show that things are always more expensive in Cali.
Those things have many other uses, they make a pretty good chip clip, I use one of them to take the tension off my seatbelt, plus the original purpose of them is for the temp. repair of a tarp that has lost a metal eyelet.
On our opening weekend hunt a couple of weeks ago we were sleeping under one of my canopies on cots and my hunting buddy used a couple of them to clip a mesquito net to his cot to keep the little buggers out. You could use them as closepins, etc....etc.
TB

WW FS2300
Old 11-16-2005, 05:45 PM   #8

Well now...darn me for not picking up a few more! I'll have to remember that!

Here's another example of how they're high-priced- when I was there last, you know that Camco generator exhaust extension to be able to vent the fumes above the coach? They get $140 for a 12-13' piece of plastic extension from Camco! My gawd. I've seen them elsewhere for under $100! Not to mention the fact that you could have a local muffler shop bend one up for you for about $30-40.

And Wes' Dirt Devil Central Vacuum unit? They want $399 for when you could order from rvupgrades.com for $269. The shipping ($20 plus change from rvupgrades.com) is prolly twice that from CW!!

Sure glad you brought this up...there has to be a limit to everything...

Sean
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote