Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2005, 03:44 PM   #1

Hello,

I am sure more than a few people on this forum have installed Sirius or XM in their Trailers. I did the install in the truck...came out great. I purchased a second mounting kit for the trailer so I can pop out the receiver from the truck and put in the trailer. I don't know about the whole suction cup thing in the trailer....Where are other people installing them. Also my warrior has the Sony stereo with amp....is there extra RCA inputs on the back of deck....I will be opening it up on the install...but if I know ahead I can purchase the adaptor so I won't have to make an extra trip. Lastly is it worth hooking it up with RCA jacks instead of the FM Modulator that is built in to the unit....will I really notice a difference. Thanks for the help as always.

James

2006 F-350 CC, Diesel, SRW, LB
jab3143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2005, 03:44 PM   #2

Hello,

I am sure more than a few people on this forum have installed Sirius or XM in their Trailers. I did the install in the truck...came out great. I purchased a second mounting kit for the trailer so I can pop out the receiver from the truck and put in the trailer. I don't know about the whole suction cup thing in the trailer....Where are other people installing them. Also my warrior has the Sony stereo with amp....is there extra RCA inputs on the back of deck....I will be opening it up on the install...but if I know ahead I can purchase the adaptor so I won't have to make an extra trip. Lastly is it worth hooking it up with RCA jacks instead of the FM Modulator that is built in to the unit....will I really notice a difference. Thanks for the help as always.

James

2006 F-350 CC, Diesel, SRW, LB
jab3143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 03:45 PM   #3

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
James,
i would have probably been the last person who could have repsonded to this thread, not that this response will probably have any usefuleness anyway just because I never really listened to radio, just my CD's.

But that XM i got as a gift a year or so ago really is great! I have switched my listening pleasure from CD's to XM.
BUT,.. i thought that the lousy stock radio that came with the WW's didn't have RCA connectors and you had to use the modulator. I installed the XM in my truck, but its been a year, and it is hardwired so i can't really move it to the trailer. I wish i had gotten one of those 'moveable' ones.

Not that it influenced my decision to like XM so much, but my trailer was broken into a couple days before I was going to use it, and i had it packed up, and one of the very few things stolen was about 60 of my GratefulDead CD's.
That was a long time and much loved collection.
A sad day.
Now I love XM.
Mike
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 03:58 PM   #4

Hi Guys:

I love my XM...and now I don't have to move it from one of our vehicles to the garage anymore- DirecTV now has most of my favorite XM music channels on it!

James: That was one of the reasons I didn't get the WW Sony unit- no RCA inputs. And because we have satellite on the TH, and DirecTV has the XM channels, now I don't have to worry about it- the only thing I need to do is try to figure a righteous (read hidden) wire path from my sat receiver to my system in the basement...

Sean
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 04:50 PM   #5

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
But i use a modulator in my truck, and it sounds great to me, ..
so i would be pleased as punch to have the same setup in the RV.
Real nice ehhh?? having a stereo in the WW with no jacks
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 05:00 PM   #6

Hey boys,

Since I have a home stereo system in the Afa, I just got an additional home kit and wired it in. XM radio in the trailer with 3 plugs. Sean, you need to get a Nano like Brians or one of the larger IPODS to hold all your music and just plug that into the big system. Think of the weight you won't have to carry, and the library in the IPOD will allow you to pick and choose your music.

I'm getting a 60Gig Video for X-mas and have started downloading music onto the laptop. What a cool system.

Either XM or Sirius is a great addition to any vehicle or home. Since I got mine, I haven't listened to regular radio (almost 2 years now)

Clark

2005 F350 PSD CC DRW Tow Boss
C.CARNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 05:25 PM   #7

Clarkie Baby!!!

Hey...you finally got some time off?! 10-4 on the laptop thing- I did that for the Rasor Road trip- loaded all my favorites onto the laptop and didn't have to babysit it- I like it that way! Then I lost the hard drive, but the IT guys were able to ressurrect the D drive I had all my music on, so I was thankful for that. Of course, all my son's iTunes library was gone, but I found out that iTunes will find all your music media and convert it for you- but it took about 3 hours to do it. Now he has all my music on his Nano. Oh...and instead of the 20gig drive they kept on putting in my laptop, they finally got smart and put in an 80gig, so I have plenty of room now. Hopefully it'll stay that way for a while- I also bought a USB 80gig backup drive so I can keep everything backed up.

But even still, it's nice to have some fresh music to play, and that's where XM comes in- especially for background stuff.

And just how do you already know what you're getting for Christmas?! Christmas is a time for giving- not buying for yourself!

Hummmm...you musta've been a good boy this year!

Sean
Old 11-27-2005, 07:00 PM   #8

We just bought a new pickup with Sirius radio and it seems really cool. My question is does anyone know if our account can be used in the truck stereo and a remote receiver too ?
RidgeTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 07:03 PM   #9

Phil:

My guess is you've got a introductory offer on the truck's player...wait until it's done, then you should be able to add it to your existing account- that's what XM does.

One thing that always get me about Sat radio is the clarity...how's it sound in your new truck? Awesome, ey?