Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2006, 08:41 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
My brother just bought a 06' shortbed Dodge truck. The dealer said in order to tow his 5th wheel toyhauler he would have to get a "slide hitch". The local hitch / trailer shop only had "manual" slide hitches. Any suggestions on the matter. He has the Dodge 3500 series diesel mega-cab "single rear wheels". He is towing a 36' tri-axle 5er toy hauler. I know the dry hitch is 2280 and the UVW is 9500. My first question would be when doing normal traveling down the road and you encounter a normal turn at a intersection does the hitch need to slide then or is it only when you are cutting the trailer into a campsite that has a fairly sharp cut / swing.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2006, 08:41 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
My brother just bought a 06' shortbed Dodge truck. The dealer said in order to tow his 5th wheel toyhauler he would have to get a "slide hitch". The local hitch / trailer shop only had "manual" slide hitches. Any suggestions on the matter. He has the Dodge 3500 series diesel mega-cab "single rear wheels". He is towing a 36' tri-axle 5er toy hauler. I know the dry hitch is 2280 and the UVW is 9500. My first question would be when doing normal traveling down the road and you encounter a normal turn at a intersection does the hitch need to slide then or is it only when you are cutting the trailer into a campsite that has a fairly sharp cut / swing.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:58 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
If and when a sliding hitch is needed all depends on the geometry between the 5th wheel RV/TH and the back of the truck cab. If 1/2 the width of the RV/TH is greater than the distance from the center of the pin bore in the 5th wheel hitch to the back of the cab, the RV/TH will hit the cab as the angle between them approaches 90 degrees - how much before 90 degrees depends on the pin box offset (if any), hitch placement, etc.

If he's looking for an automatic sliding hitch, Pullrite makes one. Pricey, but probably cheaper than taking dents out of the cab pillars and replacing rear windows.

rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 10:53 AM   #4

i have a Ford F-150 quad cab, and i had a husky Easyglider put on... and i never had to use the
thing the trailer comes within ill say 6 inches
of the cab... now i had to sign a waver before they would put it on, because he said husky does not recommend it (because of people not paying attention and dented or broke the window in the truck) and tried to sue husky...
ive had it for 2years now... and not 1 problem
http://rvadenver.com/new_page_9.htm you can check it out here but the price was not that high i paid around 500.00 for the hitch

Dean
Old 02-13-2006, 01:21 PM   #5

I have the pullrite slider in my shortbed gmc. The geometry of my truck/trailer combo dictated some kind of slider. I went for the pullrite because forgeting jus once would have cost more than twice what I paid for the hitch.

Because it's sliding while your backing it does change backing angles a little. Kind of wierd at first but you quickly learn to use it to your advantage.

Brant

2004 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Intruder350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 03:59 PM   #6

Yea, I'd get one that slides automatically, like the pullrite superglide. I know they cost more, but It will pay for itself the first time you forget that you have a shortbed pickup. What kind of toyhauler did he get? Tell him to join and post pictures. I would like to see what a megacab looks like with a big toyhauler.
Fords-R-Us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 04:33 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Well, I would argee an automatic slide is the way to go. My brother has 4 kids, so your attention is sometimes distracted while driving. And your right, just once will do it if you forget with a manual slide hitch. I'll have to get on the Pullrite website and see what models they offer, and find a place here that sells them.
My brother has been to a few IRV2 outings including last Labor Days at 4 mile Creek in Niagara Falls with the Pond piggies.
He used to have an older pop-up and a 35' bobtail trailer. One he used for off-roading weekends and the pop-up for other just camping outings. He just got tired of taking stuff back and forth between the 2 trailers. Something always got let behind. So he bite the bullet and bought a 05' Raptor 36' toyhauler. Then he found out his V-10 gasser Dodge wouldn't pull it. So he just bought the 3500 mega-cab diesel. Rusty-Jc what are u getting for gas milage on your Dodge? Dodge doesn't publish any numbers on their bigger trucks.

Jim....
Old 02-14-2006, 04:43 PM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I went for the pullrite because forgeting just once would have cost more than twice what I paid for the hitch. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

KZ: Excellent point. I've never had a short bed truck, but I did try to navigate one time on some off-camber roads when I was a 5vr newbie- and guess what- I wound up having to buy a new bed. Thank goodness there's a company around here that has used ones for about $700- with tailgate.

Fords-R-Us: Glad to see ya back! Check your PMs...

Sean
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 03:52 PM   #9

I bet he will be proud of It when he gets her rigged up. It sounds like he sure has a nice rig.
Fords-R-Us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 04:39 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thanx for all the input. I think his only choice is the pricy "Pullrite Superglide". I know down the road that my next move maybe a 5er myself. I just always liked the room and storage they provided. Right now he is searching around for a better price. Does anyone have any links to online sellers of this product?

Tags
kz-rv