Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: If you frequent Events where this is an issue, what do you do?
Use the Gen-Turi Generator Exhaust System 20 46.51%
Use My Own Exhaust Setup ('Splain, Lucy!) 12 27.91%
Don't Do Anything 11 25.58%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-05-2006, 08:55 PM   #15

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vette Racer:
Hey Sean, run that sucker under the other guy's RV! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't want to block the generator door or have the "genturi" in front of the kitchen window. Has anyone used two elbows in order to offset the stack?

Wes

high desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2006, 09:07 PM   #16

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vette Racer:
Hey Sean, run that sucker under the other guy's RV! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hehe hehe...THAT WAS THE PROBLEM- he did the same thing! And I bet he had a tighter coach than I do...it was truly a "boat outta water". I've got a cleaner running genset than he did- couldn't compete!

Roger...I did that, but decided amongst the posts that returned, they were a little outdated- wanted to get the latest skinny. Check your PM...

OK...here's the latest... (OK...some guy was telling me on the Alternate Channel that the AQMD was the responsible agency to regulate 'air qualiy', so here's my response)...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I stopped off at the CDF firestation today on the way home from work, and talked to a couple of the guys for over a 1/2 hour. First, it wasn't CDF that was taking care of the infield @ Fontucky, but San Bernardino County Fire- need to make that clear. Second, they said that actually, Ventura City Fire has more money than all of San Berdo County (OK...a little stretch, but they're not far off) and therefore can afford those tools more than other counties or cities. Third, they outfit THEIR engines with CO "sniffers" (as they call 'em), but theirs at this particular station was offline because of funds to recalibrate it- they would call a HazMat Team should the need really arise.

Fourth: A CO issue, or any other detectable gas issue, whether at the track, or at your home, would warrant a call to the FIRE DEPARTMENT as a first response. What they may do is recommend, if they don't find anything out of the ordinary, is a secondary call to the Gas Company- they said they usually have more 'reliable' equipment for a better reading (I'm sure a few Gas Co. employees would LOVE to come out to the track and spend a few hours surveying an issue if given the chance ). Makes sense you would cal the FD first- the Gas Company (nor the Chevy Geo AQMD vehicles) usually doesn't come out in a fire truck .

They laughed at the idea of calling the AQMD: a specific comment was: "yep...only if you're polluting the whole valley, and who would do that willingly if they were the culprit?". Good point!

The biggest thing I got out of our conversation is that venues such as California Speedway definitely "spec out" what equipment is required to watch over their events (because they are hired), and that the best suggestion for me was to send a letter (or email) to the Speedway management detailing my concern(s). They also, in most cases, supply their 'Public Safety' vendors with equipment that otherwise would not be available by the agency(s). I would call this valuable information now that I know this. An email is in the works as 'we' speak.

Of course, I assume there are other differences between departments/cities/county/state governments. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What has beat all he!! is that my wife called me about 7:30am this morning, telling me that ALL THE SMOKE ALARMS WERE GOING OFF IN OUR HOUSE! She called 911, and they came blaring with lights (no sirens- she told them no evident emergency). They checked out everything, found nothing, and their only advice was "maybe one of the unit's sensors needs to be cleaned".

I AM NOT KIDDIN' YA...doesn't seem to be my week for eletronic sensing equipment. Now to try to acertain WHICH smoke detector cried 'Wolf". Whatdayawaanathink I'll proly be replacing all of them...

Sheesh...just can't get a break, man!

Old 09-13-2006, 02:42 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Sean, got those smoke detectors replaced yet? How bout that genny exhaust? Lets get with the program here, Howie's already done several mods while you're thinking about it.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 02:53 PM   #18

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I don't want to block the generator door or have the "genturi" in front of the kitchen window </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Wes...what's wrong with looking through the kitchen window at a well-endowed stack?!

Naugh...Tom...took the SLC into the factory this morning...got a few weeks before I need a genset exhaust system (Eric's BBQ). Oh...and the freakin' smoke detectors have yet to go off again...go figure.

I got this feeling it was just Murphy gesturing to me that I was #1 in his book that weekend...
Old 09-13-2006, 04:20 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Yeah, and he held up the #1 finger too, didn't he, that way you'd know you was #1. Love it when I get that.

On edit: You know, its funny but I had something like that happen to me too. The alarm went off in the garage in the middle of the night, ADT called and I went out there with my big gun and couldn't find anything wrong. Never happened since, go figure! Just knew we had a varmint in there but never saw one. Never fails.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 10:22 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Well after having the C0 detector sound off last year, the dealer resealed generator compartment and extended the tailpipe a few inches. But we had it go off on us again. So I figured it was time to get one of teh Gen-turi stacks. I wasn't about to spend $130 on a new one. So of course RV.net had the solution. Help from this thread and this thread on barthmobile.com gave me great directions. Set off to Lowes to pick up the parts. Might not look like a factory built unit but at about 1/10th the price it works for me. I plan on painting the steel bars and making a few cosmetic changes, but for now it works. Best of all after running the generator during the trip we had no more C0 issues. With the garage I'm able to just load the whole thing, full length, in the back.

Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 05:59 PM   #21

Hey Thanks Y-Guy! Really...other than the white color, you really can't tell the diff between your $15 setup and that ripoff Camco unit!

Do you happen to remember what kinda gappage you left for the venturi?