Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-15-2006, 09:26 AM   #1

Hi Everybody,

Well I was browsing the forums last week and thought it would be nice to have the rain gutter extensions people were talking about to eliminate the black streak problems on warriors. I couldn't just purchase those because shipping would cost as much as the part cost. So last night I was reading about people upgrading the stock water pump with one of the shurflo models and they seemed pretty happy with the results. So I ordered my gutter extensions and New waterpump and strainer from CW last night. By the way CW has a real good sale on the Shurflo 5.7 pump for $161 and some change. It is 40 or 50 dollars off. I have not had a chance to do much to the trailer with winter here......but I am excited to get back into the swing of things. I will let you know how the install goes once the stuff arrives.

James

2006 F-350 CC, Diesel, SRW, LB
jab3143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2006, 09:26 AM   #2

Hi Everybody,

Well I was browsing the forums last week and thought it would be nice to have the rain gutter extensions people were talking about to eliminate the black streak problems on warriors. I couldn't just purchase those because shipping would cost as much as the part cost. So last night I was reading about people upgrading the stock water pump with one of the shurflo models and they seemed pretty happy with the results. So I ordered my gutter extensions and New waterpump and strainer from CW last night. By the way CW has a real good sale on the Shurflo 5.7 pump for $161 and some change. It is 40 or 50 dollars off. I have not had a chance to do much to the trailer with winter here......but I am excited to get back into the swing of things. I will let you know how the install goes once the stuff arrives.

James

Old 03-15-2006, 09:41 AM   #3

Hi James,

I've heard good things about the Shurflo pumps. This is a mod I'd like to do also.

Do you have a part number on the gutter extensions? I hate the way rain water is directed across the bedroom window.

Wes
high desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 10:54 AM   #4

James:

I too have been frothing at the mouth over that Shurflo pump mod- that appears to be a pretty good upgrade to our standard pumps. Of course, there's a whole lot more things I'd like to get done before I do that one! Do keep us updated on how it goes, OK?

As far as the gutter extensions, I actually picked some up last weekend- still have to get them installed (it rained/snowed all weekend), but I think these will help tremendously. Here's a pic from Camco's website- CW didn't have one, but they show their part# as 29346 on the website:

My only issue is with the front left side where the rain gutter actually pours onto guard above the bedroom slide- I'm hoping it'll clear that guard so I don't have to buy another set of 4 to use one of them!

Hey...also...is it too late to add to your order- looks like Wes will want some, and you guys are pretty close, aren't cha?

Sean
Old 03-16-2006, 08:01 AM   #5

Sean the part# for the camping world one piece gutter extensions are 31564.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:11 AM   #6

I agree with big buford on the part # 31564. I spent more time trying to find the gutter extensions at CW than anything else. The real confusing part is they sell another camco gutter extension that you need to have spouts to hook them to. But the extensions that have the spouts included (part # 31564) don't come up in any search....I tried gutters, extensions, even camco. Once I searched on that part # the correct ones came up. Thanks big buford for you receipt information from another post.....without that I would never have found them.

James

Old 03-16-2006, 11:20 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
Found this browsing a Rexhall motorhone site and since I just installed a new battery and went through the re-entering radio presets drill thought it was interesting. Made one and it works. Simply plug it into the cig lighter/power outlet before unhooking the battery. Unplug when the new battery is hooked up.

Great idea with the wine cellar Howie. But to be honest I have never had a problem with the corks drying on a Peter Vella Box.
Hoverbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 09:47 PM   #8

Hi everyone,

Been a little busy with snowboarding and all the great snow.....Installing the waterpump took a back seat.... Finally started looking at it this week. This was not a hard install...but it was more involved than first thought. My first issue is the stock wiring was 16 GA. and had a fuse that maxed out at 7.5 amps and warned not to go higher. The pump recommends 12 GA wire and a 15 amp fuse. This was not a huge issue because the waterpump is located about 8 feet away from my 12 volt distribution panel. I needed to run new 12 GA wire from panel to waterpump. My next decision was to either run a new switch or install a Relay to operate pump from original switch panel but feed pump from new 12 GA wires. I opted for the relay....Purchased one at Napa....and it included a socket with pigtail wires which made the wiring a little easier.

O.K. so now it's wired.....My next issue is the water lines. Shurflo recommends using flexible hose for the connection to cut down on noise. I am all for this because the hoses are not very movable and they don't line up....so the flex line should make the install easier. I went to home depot to pick up a couple 1/2 inch flexable lines but noticed all of them are really chocked down at the ends....it looks like it cuts off about 70 percent of the diameter. I then went to trailer store to make a couple flexable hoses.....using that clear tubing with the fabric molded into it. They didn't have the connectors I needed. I finally decided to order the pump silencing kit from CW which will be here tomorrow. I don't see any major issues with the flexable hose install. The shurflo silencing kit has all the connections with the pressed banded fittings.....those may work better than the hose clamps....I don't think they can loosen up. Once the kit arrives tommorow I will get the lines put on and tie up some of the wiring. This was not a hard install.....just bigger than I planned for. Should finish it up this weekend.
James

Old 04-17-2006, 05:34 PM   #9

Hey James! Howdy! You know...I wonder just 'bout how much that new pump would take in juice- did you happen to put a DC amp meter on it? I'm not 'versant in DC amerage wire ratings, but sometimes that "rated" amps are much higher than what you can expect. But you're playing it safe anyway...good job!

Sean
Old 04-17-2006, 09:48 PM   #10

Hey Sean,

The pump is supposed to max out at 10 amps.....I am assuming that is at full draw...which I don't think the pump ever gets that fast. It has a built in 15 amp fuse.....I am guessing it is 7 to 10 amps....I have an amp meter somewhere....I think...I will give it a test when I get a chance. On another note I was in the dealer today and shooting the breeze with the parts guy and he said that he loves that pump...but a few days ago his supplier pulled all the inventory and sent back to the shurflo factory....He heard there is some kind of issue...I have not confirmed this yet...but I am doing some checking.
I got the lines all hooked up....I have at least one leak in the stock plumbing...I think maybe the added pressure 65psi could be part of the issue. They say the stock plumbing should handle it and they have sold tons of this model pump without issues. I will give you an update when I get this thing working 100%

James

Old 04-18-2006, 08:45 PM   #11

Just a quick note....Talked with Shurflo technical support and they have no issue that they are aware of with the 5.7 pumps. The acknowleged some of the 4.0 pumps had issues when the first came out....but the 5.7's have been solid and have no known issues. So if anybody has heard anything different....let me know. For now I am assuming the pump is good and I will deal with the 1 water leak and then de-winterize the trailer and check all the connections for leaks....basically if the pump is cycling every few minutes I will have to check for other leaks. On the bright side the dealer figured it would be warrantied if I wanted them to fix the leaks....the coach should be able to handle 65 psi without leaking..

James

Old 04-21-2006, 09:59 AM   #12

We've had a 5.7 for close to a year now with no problems.

2007 Rally site
diirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 07:58 PM   #13

Yeah....I'm done. I learned a bit about trailer plumbing in the process of installing this pump. I had a leak in the factory plumbing close to the pump....they use the crimp on connectors. I removed the crimp and put on a hose clamp and then it gushed water. Talked to my local RV parts place and he recommended cutting off the brass Tee fitting and using the push on connectors that have a screw on cap that tightens it up. My biggest problem was trying to get the Tee off of the stock plumbing....so this solution was relativly easy because I just cut the tubing and removed the tee. The new connector went on fairly easily and no more leaks.... I tested the system and still the pump was cycling on and off. I checked all the plumbing connections in the trailer and found no leaks. I went outside and found a drip coming from the pressure washer. Not from the threads...but from the middle of the brass quick connect fitting. I took it off and made a trip to home depot and found a nice short hose spiket that fit perfectly. I installed the hose spiket and that fixed that leak.....(as a side note I like the hose spiket better than that quick connect hose fitting that was stock.... I always carry a hose with me anyway.)Again I tested the pump and again it cycled on and off. I checked the plumbing again and found no leaks. I thought it could be the waterheater bypass kit....it was not leaking from the fittings....but maybe it was dripping into the water heater. I opened the water heater bypass valves and filled the water heater....Tested again.....No more cycling. Apparently the valves for the bypass kit must be allowing a little water to get past...no big deal because we never use the trailer when it is winterized....so it is perfect. Good flow....very quiet. I also wrapped the flexable water lines from the pump with some foam stuff to help eliminate the noise....I wouldn't say the pump is silent....but it is probably 80% quieter than my old pump. The whole install was not difficult....but it wasn't just a matter of hooking up a couple wires and screwing in a couple water connections.

James

James

Old 04-26-2006, 06:08 PM   #14

Hi James...Thanks for the write-up. This mod is a definite on my to-do list. Is the pressure at the shower noticeably better? I hate the trickle you get from the stock pump. I think the added pressure would actually reduce the amount of water it takes for my wife to rinse the shampoo out of her hair. Great mod.

Wes

high desert is offline   Reply With Quote