Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-12-2005, 08:29 PM   #57

OK guys...got some added scoop on the DRW situation here in Callyforneya..

Dually + 15k hauler = additional $546 per year in WEIGHT FEES! That's ABOVE the $614 in license fees...between the IAs and the fees here in Callyforneya, I think Utah is lookin' better than ever!

All for the luxury of traveling our chitty roads- go figure!

That fact I just learned Thursday night when I made the salesguy detail the charges and give me an OTD price. The worst part is that you've got to declare what your GCW is going to be at any given time so IF you happen to be towing your TH and get stopped, it won't be an impound of your TH and a fine! Here's the DMV form to get.. http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/fees/weight_over.htm. Our total DMV fees were over $1100!! Those who say that they didn't have to pay those are just 'lucky'- both my best friend who's a dealer, and the Fleet Mgr say they've only been crackin down on this for the last couple of years.

BUT...even though I'm having to pay this, I still think it's worth the added safety that a dually can give you. I haven't towed the SLC yet, but I can already feel the comfort...

Sean

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2005, 08:52 PM   #58

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WWFan:
OK guys...got some added scoop on the DRW situation here in Callyforneya..

Dually + 15k hauler = additional $546 per year in WEIGHT FEES! That's ABOVE the $614 in license fees...between the IAs and the fees here in Callyforneya, I think Utah is lookin' better than ever!

All for the luxury of traveling our chitty roads- go figure!
Sean </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is one reason I'm now here in Nevada. I was a proud native of "Kali for nia" all my life but I finally gave up.

high desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 09:07 PM   #59

Wes:

I'm over that for right now, but am looking at another state here when I can retire- CA WON'T be it...

And if I may end this SRW or DRW difference right here and right now- OMG...never felt so good pulling the new rig (ok-I admit for 4 miles so far) with a dually- it's just the difference between night & day. I think the major diff I noticed is when you take off pretty agressively and the rear end doesn't squat near as much...alot more 'meat' hookin' up and getin' ya down the road...not to mention just the sbaility you get with four tires in back, I can't remember who (and how many) said it...but once you go dually, you'll never go back, so you can count me in the raahing party on that!

Sean
Old 07-04-2005, 07:29 AM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">once you go dually, you'll never go back </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Sean, I appreciate that!

I keep telling people but most of them just don't want to step up to the plate. I wouldn't drive anything else towing.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 08:29 AM   #61

I'll 2nd, 3rd, and 4th that Tom. If you go big on a trailer, you need to go big on a truck.

I'm sure you have seen many SRW trucks being pushed around by the wind. Yes I do feel the wind, and sometimes I do get pushed around a little. But I have never felt unsafe yet.

Duallys do have their limitations and are even a pain in the behind sometimes in tight quarters, but for towing over the long haul, I believe they are the best.

Clark

2005 F350 PSD CC DRW Tow Boss
C.CARNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 09:14 AM   #62

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
it looks like i might be one of the last to fold around here,
... i have traditionally preferred the SRW because of the seemingly better off-road capability.
Everyone who extolls the virtues of DRWs, points to the superior highway towing stability. (But unbiasedly they also admit that driving thru bank teller lines can be problematic. )
But you don't see a lot of DRW rockcrawlers,
... well i guess you also don't see a lot of SRW F350 rockcrawlers either,
but I do rank them superior in driving steep fluff, and you can fill in whatever offroad surface you want for 'fluff'.
Granted, the DRW's look better parked out front of a grain store. Oh, and that freeway stability thing too.

And although I have talked with a few other SRW die-hards, even some who have come back to the fold from DRW-Land, all being a-bunch-a-dirt underneath the wheelwell guys, well...
...my leanings as of late are towards that DRW.
Many, many miles of freeway compared to just a dozen offroad. And I've been reading here talk of BFG's (or equivalent) on the duallys. On my trucks I'm on my third set of BFG's, thats sure a solid tread and tire.

I dropped by my local truck dealership during my lunch hour last week, just to have a look at those duals. I have probably only three payments left on my existing truck. I was there scouting the truck yard out for 5 or 10 minutes, didn't find any right off the bat, and no sales guy came out of the airconditioning, and i hightailed it back to work.
I think i'm going back on Tuesday.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 09:31 AM   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Tom, I'll 5th that....BIG 5er requires a dually. I keep telling people that they make little trucks for little 5ers and a big 5er takes a big truck. So don't expect a pony to do the work of a draft horse.

Ken
Old 07-04-2005, 10:27 AM   #64

but Ken,
how do you still do all that off-roading that toyhauler owners so typically find themselves facing, with a draft horse? Can you?
my way of thinking still wonders if that stout Mustang pony can be a little more rugged "under both conditions stated in the title of this thread" then the ol' plow horse.
You see, this thread wonders, not what is bigger or more stable or looks more like a Peterbilt,
but rather,
where does a ToyHauler draw the line.??
What is better for a toyhauler who hits severe offroad, not the paved loops of KOA.

ToyHaulers off-road. By definition.
Most 5'r owners won't, can't, aren't going to.
For them, Get a dually without a second thought.
But if you traverse horrible terrain, and i'm not talking about getting a little dust on your boots, where does a ToyHauler draw the line?

The ToyHaulers are getting bigger and heavier. But still some ToyHaulers see some rugged outback. Not all. Some toyhaulers have never once paid a single dollar for a campsite fee.!!!!
For those that do pull a 'hauler and are noticing bigger weights these days, how do you do it?
When does "big toyhauler" become "big"?
When does offroading become impossible?
Old 07-04-2005, 11:38 AM   #65

That's what they made 4x4 duallys for Mike. You get the best of both worlds. Stability and the ability to go seek your garden of eden.

I can remember back to when my WW was built, hauling a jeep inside wasn't thought of them. It was this can hold 3 quads, or a sand buggy and 1 quad. It was all about sand toys. Now with most companies on the market making some sort of TH type trailer, the guys doing the jeep thing or snowmobiles or swamp buggies or ??? are seeing that they can now get their toys to their playgrounds and still have all the luxaries of home. So as the size of the toys increase, so does the size of the hauler. And with the increase in size comes the increase in weight.

So what is big and what is too big? Where the original th'ers were designed to be pulled with 1/2 & 3/4 ton trucks, now a 3/4 ton might be to small. Most of the big th'ers need a 1 ton minimum, some better yet need an MDT.

So what is too big? I guess it's up to the person who is driving it to figure it out.

Clark

2005 F350 PSD CC DRW Tow Boss
C.CARNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 11:38 AM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My rig is never off road and I don't take the truck into the woods. You can always use the TH to haul the toy to go rock climbing and leave the tow vehicle in a area that it can easily reach.

In any case the limiting factor should be the pin weight with the truck GVWR. If you are over rating...it means a larger truck or a smaller trailer.

But a DRW will still handle more load and be more stable than a SRW. If your desire is to use your truck as an off-road vehicle, the trailer should be bought to match the capability of the truck. That is the primary concern here as I see it.

ken
Old 07-04-2005, 02:37 PM   #67

From what I was told by WW the max they can hold is 18,000 lbs with triple axles with the use of 16" E rated tires that add another $2,000 to the hauler. The king pin they use is rated at only 17,000 lbs.

They said they can not change the GCWR sticker from the 15,000 lbs max.because if they did everyone would need a class A endorsement in CA.

This may be why NASCAR teams use 18 wheelers to haul two 3500 lb cars and tools.

Ford went on to say that a 4x4 dually actually is rated less in towing than a SRW but can handle a higher pin weight. They said you can try a 2 wheel drive but then how do you tack the trailer to say Pismo?

I would not tow with less than a F450 and a Jeep in any 5er.

2004 Jeep Wrangler 4X4
cboh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 03:30 PM   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Looking at my weights as an example, the dually and trailer axles are well within limits with a jeep and all, however, I don't wander way off road with this rig, just too big. So, I can see the dilemma some of you face that I don't. Everything in life is a trade off, seems there is never a cut and dried answer for everything. Thats why each and everyone of us has to make that decision based on our needs and comfort zone. Hope it all works out.

I love my rig, its not perfect for everything but comes the closest of anything I've found yet.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 07:36 AM   #69

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Clark: That's what they made 4x4 duallys for Mike. You get the best of both worlds. Stability and the ability to go seek your garden of eden.

I can remember back to when my WW was built, hauling a jeep inside wasn't thought of them. It was this can hold 3 quads, or a sand buggy and 1 quad. ....... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There it is. I suspect thats it, in a nutshell.
And Tom, you said a similar thing about the weights of earlier toyHaulers.

Our sport hasn't evolved as much in the past ten years as the RV manufacturers who have noticed us and are quickly trying to cater to the needs of the ma-and-pa toyhaulers. (ToyHaulers spend money.)

Has their component to our sport, the 'fancy' toyhauler, changed our habits more then anything else? As per another thread here last month, a lot of guys are now getting gel-coat, multi-slides, multi gas-tanks, captains chairs, 54" bigscreens, fireplaces,.....
...and a Jeep !!!?.!!!
Buddies, those options did not exist for us 15 years ago.
And I reckon that does weigh some, ehhh?

And I'm not talking a street rig here, nor a rig you park on the asphalt and drive your toys into the woods. Nope.
Because you see, my rig IS driven off the road and taken into the woods.

That is my wonder.
When you typically have to drive over a mile of washboard roads, 2 miles of soft sand, 14 inch deep mud for a while, and then over a log, just to get to a campsite that "someone here at iRV2 has sworn me to secrecy not to divulge its location",
a vow I will never break,
unlike that darn dog on T.V. who keeps selling the 'Secret Bean Recipe',
well my thought in the back of my head is,
how does that Fx4 Dually rack up next to my guts-to-the-wall F350 4x4 SRW?
That is what I wonder.
In my first post on this thread, I asked who had ever mastered comp in a dually? Mastering comp is obviously not necessary, (although i have seen a 'heated' F250 SRW get to the top of Buttercup's Comp ) , but getting to the top of comp can sure be more similar to what i need from a truck then something that only sees asphalt and concrete driving.!

Thats why I was so content pulling that FB2200 behind my built F350 in the picture that I have posted above. The trailer could hold our quads and dogs and get us where ever I pointed my truck. I wondered about the guys who were getting the 40 footers as they gained in popularity, but still most toyhaulers were 30 or less. Now, not only has the 30 to 40 foot crowd gotten bigger, but the OPTIONS they put on those 40 footers have been eating the BigMacs as well. (And I now even find myself on the 'slim' side of that '30 to 40 foot crowd' . )

I sit here teetering on the brink of walking over to my local truck dealership again today to kick the tires of a dual, a dual Fx4, which i now presume is getting close to my realization.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:55 AM   #70

Let me spell it out so even I can understand it ...
.. the "truck / lux-'hauler" combination has become more of a compromise as of late, as the choices become more diverse

- 40 footer, with a DRW truck on asphalt only ??
- 32 footer, Jeep inside alright, but NO jel-coat because of weight, DRW truck ??
- 22 footer, couple quads inside, and you can just about pull it up Mt.Whitney with a beastly SRW ??