Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-05-2005, 06:26 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
it looks like 'bigger is better' around here lately
duallys are bigger. are they better?

Who prefers which around here? And where do you travel that makes you think that?

I'm a SRW guy currently, i have concerns about a dually in the sand or snow. Would prefer the dually on the freeway, and around town i don't really care. I always park at the back of any parking lot anyway and i don't go thru drive-thrus.

Anyone running a monster off-road dually here?
Anyone here with a dually who can master comp?

FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2005, 06:26 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to FatDog

Who prefers which around here? And where do you travel that makes you think that?

I'm a SRW guy currently, i have concerns about a dually in the sand or snow. Would prefer the dually on the freeway, and around town i don't really care. I always park at the back of any parking lot anyway and i don't go thru drive-thrus.

Anyone here with a dually who can master comp?

FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 07:21 PM   #3

OOhhhh...good topic- I'm listenin'!
Old 05-05-2005, 07:58 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Boy are you lucky that I am the first one here. No, I cannot tell you what works in sand and offroad but I can tell you that when you have a large trailer on and need to swerve, or turn quickly, or make any kind of emergency move I'll take a dually everytime. AND, I drive mine through drive throughs, park up front and all that good stuff. The only drawback I know of is having to buy 6 tires and the famous dually hop if you hit a bump without slowing down, cause it is a little stiff back there empty. ONLY REAL drivers drive DUALLYS!!!

Ok, said my piece, now I'll sit back and watch everyone else flame me.

On edit, I shoulda known it would take too long to type all that!!!!!!!! Da.. you WW!
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 08:12 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well Tom, I'll get out my asbestos undies and join you. If you are going to pull a larger 5er, you need a dually. We followed a fellow one day with our rig and he had a 32 to 33' 5er with an F250. From the way the road was jerking him around, I could see how much his truck was being rocked by the 5er.

As soon as I could, I had to pass him and show him how easy it was to pull with a proper truck.

And I agree, while real mean may eat quiche, they also drive duallies.

Ken
Old 05-05-2005, 08:23 PM   #6

Tom:

Kinda hard to beat that, except for the 37 minutes it took you to write it!

Oh...and I suppose that if my grandma was to be a real driver, she'd have to be in a dually?! I wouldn't want to be the car next to her in a parking lot!

I think real good drivers drive Fords, so there 'ya go! Mike: [Clink!]

Have you come down with a fever yet?
Old 05-05-2005, 08:23 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ken, Whatca doing down here, Slummin'! Boy, better watch what I say, could be used against me at an Okie boomers meeting.
Old 05-05-2005, 08:27 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
O jee, now I have to defend myself from the Ford group too. HEX,HEX!

I'll put my Chebbie, as Ken calls it, against you furd! Go ahead, make my day.
Old 05-05-2005, 08:31 PM   #9

Well Tom & Ken warmed it up for me,

Mike, I've pulled a trailer almost twice around the U.S. First time with a single rear, now with the dually. As long as I can drive and pull a trailer, I will always pull with a dually. As Tom stated, if you have to swerve quickly, the truck and trailer swerve as a unit. When you pass the 18 wheeler hauling a$$ the other direction on a narrow 2 lane road, there is no push and shove like you get with the single rear. I have a friend that has a 40'WW and he pulled with a single rear 4WD. We went camping last year together and as I was following him he was all over the lane. He even stated when we got there that he was tired from having to correct and drive the whole time. While we were there, he hooked my truck up and pulled his rig back down the freeway a ways and back. He could not believe the difference in stability. He went home after the trip and traded in the truck on a dually.
Yes there are the inherent problems of a larger truck, mine is affectionally known as the pig, it doesn't turn very tight (alot of 3 point turns), it rides rough when empty, and it is not the greatest thing to drive in sand or SNOW. But on sand, I just air down and I'm ok, snow is not good. I have to park in dually row, way back in the parking lot. I won't take it thru a drive in, ours are alot tighter then the drive thrus in OK. But when it comes to doing what it is designed for, I always feel safe, even in the strong winds of the Palm Springs area on HWY 10.

If you go big on the trailer, go big on the truck!!!

Clark

2005 F350 PSD CC DRW Tow Boss
C.CARNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 08:48 PM   #10

Clark:

You've got a few more miles than me- I'm only twice around the western part of the US.

I've been happy with my F250, but the only thing I've got to go by is my '95 WW. It's the low version, and never have I worried about wind or 18's comin at me. It has been just a dream to pull it. And really, aren't we actually talking about a few (ok..maybe 18 or 24) inches between the two heights of each rig? I am a little concerned now with the new TH, and hence, why I'm plastered to this post. GCWR is a big concern, especially since we bought the new SLC to put a Jeep in it..
Old 05-05-2005, 09:03 PM   #11

Sean,

There is a big difference (IMO) between the front of a low 5er and a high 5er. Witht the big trailer, you get a built in wall you are now pulling. You WILL feel the wind pushing on you. I'm not saying that my rig is always 100% stable, there are times when the wind will push you around, remember it's not nice to screw with mother nature, she will always win. But many times when it is windy, my rig is so much more stable than alot of the others around me that are single rears. And you are going to a big trailer, that will have alot of weight added to it. I truly believe that you and Moski and Bri will be much happier, and much SAFER in a truck that is designed to pull that much weight. I like all the brands out there, I have friends that pull with a 3 of the big 3. It doesn't matter which brand, just make sure that it is designed to do the job. Yes a F250 with a powerstroke will pull just about anything, but will it be safe? Remember, you need to be able to control the load, as well as stop it.

Clark

2005 F350 PSD CC DRW Tow Boss
C.CARNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 09:10 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
I promise you WW, once you go dually, you'll never go back. I second everything Clark said. People all the time brag about how their single wheel trucks pull and all that BUT, What can I say, if you know of someone that has one borrow it and go for a test drive and make sure you do more than drive in a single lane on flat ground, get my meaning! AND, if you still feel that way, so be it. Thats why they make different things. (Different strokes for different folks)
Old 05-05-2005, 09:23 PM   #13

You know: I know, that you know, that I know you're right...sortta like having a tow-behind and then gettin' a 5er, right? Night and Day. Black & White. Norelco and Remington. Concrete & asphalt...man...woman..need I say more?

But I do have to re-itenerate my pleasure with my current setup...'lowboy' SLC with my F250...it really is a good combo, and I would say I wouldn't trade for the world, but I just did (at least half of it right now!
Old 05-05-2005, 10:14 PM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FatDog:

Anyone here with a dually who can master comp? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mike,

That avatar photo that you guys were making fun of
was actually taken way back in the sand dunes
at Pismo. It never got suck.

I've also had the dually in all kinds of mud
and other muck and the 4 wheel drive on 6 tires
is a bonus.

I've had SRWs and I would never go back after
haulin with the dually.