Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 04-30-2016, 03:18 AM   #1
T-Minus 20. Buying Questions.

Hey everyone!
The day is getting closer and everything is moving as planned. I have narrowed the search to several toy haulers which may or may not still be available in 20 days. There will be others like them though, I'm sure.

After extensive surfing, I find that what I want, usually comes in about 25000 dollars. My question for you experienced RV shoppers is: About how much are they marking these old used RVs up? Roughly? Even a guess would help.

I'm fine with buying cars, but RVs seems to have hugely much more markup in them--looking at the difference they can drop in ONE day between advertisements. I want everyone to make a good commission...just don't want to get taken.

Also...it looks like there's almost zero chance of finding what I want locally. Which means I may have to make a road trip--probably several road trips. What is the policy...or defacto standard on "putting a deposit down to hold" an RV. If I find something 1000 miles away I would hate to have it gone before I get there. HOWEVER--the last time I did this, years ago, I drove that 1000 miles and the thing was a deathtrap. When I refused to buy it, they kept my deposit. Don't want THAT to happen again either.

Will a dealer actually deliver an old RV across state lines?

OH!!! And here's another very important question: Testing/Test-Drive Etiquette

Before I buy this thing, I REALLY want to see both my vehicles IN the bay, and tow it around with the truck some. The babies are a Ural side car bike and a Polaris RZR4. These are both big vehicles (not heavy...but long) so it's going to be tight. I just am not going to feel right until I do my tests.
Here's something even kinkier--I haven't bought the RZR yet.
So I was planning on putting the Ural in the back of the Toy Hauler and go with the salesman down to the closest place that sells the RZR4--and see if everything fits. If it does, and it tows, well and the RV is acceptable, I can buy the RV and then go buy the RZR4 (though maybe not that EXACT one).

Then I can sell my old truck and utility trailer and just have the Toy Hauler with the bike and the buggy in it. Whew.

I could buy the RZR before I buy the Toy Hauler, but my current truck-trailer combo will only tow *either* the bike or the buggy the 1000 miles to meet the RV...not both :-(

Is this normal for RV shopping?

Any input most appreciated.

TwoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2016, 06:03 AM   #2
Thor Owners Club
I usually look them up on NADA, which will give you a really good idea of what it's worth. A lot depends on how well it's been taken care of. If the previous owners were smokers and/or had pets, tire age/condition, battery condition, appliances in good working condition, has it been winterized, etc. Give it a thorough go-over, test and check everything. Make them hook up power and water. Ensure the charger / inverter are good working condition.

Hope all works out and you find the right unit.

Matt Brown / Chief, USN(RET)
2015 Palazzo 35.1 / 2004 Jeep Wrangler X
matt.brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 08:38 AM   #3
Good you're making sure everything will fit. Can't you measure everything to see if it will fit? You mean you're planning to buy used from a distance? That's risky. From what I've seen, there's a lot of negotiating room. 30% discount is not unusual.
FaithBowls is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 11:08 AM   #4
Buying Used...

Well I wasn't really going to buy used from a distance.
Rather I wasn't going to buy sight unseen. I would have to drive out and examine, test etc. Because there just aren't enough of them out where I live. Can't seem to find anything that will work locally.

Thanks for the heads up on the pricing too. Glad I am not crazy...markup seemed high.
Old 04-30-2016, 06:28 PM   #5
Ford Super Duty Owner
As long as you're able to walk away. Searching for nice 5th wheels and DPs - I found that the vast majority (9/10) do not match the description by the owner or photos... Ask when the last time the roof was caulked and where they are kept.

Expect to walk a way... a lot...
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:13 PM   #6
RVtrader.com and pplmotorhomes.com are two places to get used pricing--this will give you an idea of where the model you are looking at fits in the others for sale.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites
'10 F450 new to me
'09 F450 Lariat 4x4--died
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 02:10 AM   #7
I would say not normal to go test drive an RV to the Polaris dealership and ask them to put a RZR in the back to see if it fits, especially to take it for a drive. . Unless you were going to buy that RZR on the condition it fit in your trailer. I would think I would take a lot of measurements and make sure myself.
13 GMC Denali Diesel Dually
12 Keystone Fuzion 301
tmm2good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:53 PM   #8
Hey all! T minus 17 now. Finally found the ultimate solution to my garage length problem at The ultimate single wheel trailer system.
This should give me that extra space without adding a lot of weight--or another flex point to try and manage when towing. It's also towable by any of the small vehicles, in case I need to shuttle a light load of gear somewhere.
So now my TH options are MUCH Broader.
So many options out there...it makes my brain hurt.
I think I need to bump up my thinking a little. Now that I have options for what I can get, I have to remember that I'm going to be living in this thing.

Thanks for all the advice guys! Huge breakthrough for me.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:14 PM   #9
iRV2 No Limits Club
You can't figure a "mark up" on a used vehicle. The selling price will be what you offer and they accept.

2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote