Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-29-2005, 03:45 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
As I have stated, I have pulled a multitude of different trailers , but I am a neophyte concerning fivers. The Ford has the X-16 TBW hitch installed and it looks good. It' a very nice hitch. The question is what do you do with the truck tail gate? Drop it down, hook up and raise it? Take it completely off and store it? Get one of those V shaped gates? Are they to show everyone on the road you're a fiver pullin dude? Remember now, I am a"Simple is as simple does" guy. Just the basics do me fine. Help please! Thanks.

Hoverbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2005, 03:45 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
As I have stated, I have pulled a multitude of different trailers , but I am a neophyte concerning fivers. The Ford has the X-16 TBW hitch installed and it looks good. It' a very nice hitch. The question is what do you do with the truck tail gate? Drop it down, hook up and raise it? Take it completely off and store it? Get one of those V shaped gates? Are they to show everyone on the road you're a fiver pullin dude? Remember now, I am a"Simple is as simple does" guy. Just the basics do me fine. Help please! Thanks.

Old 07-29-2005, 04:01 PM   #3

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hoverbug:
As I have stated, I have pulled a multitude of different trailers , but I am a neophyte concerning fivers. The Ford has the X-16 TBW hitch installed and it looks good. It' a very nice hitch. The question is what do you do with the truck tail gate? Drop it down, hook up and raise it? Take it completely off and store it? Get one of those V shaped gates? Are they to show everyone on the road you're a fiver pullin dude? Remember now, I am a"Simple is as simple does" guy. Just the basics do me fine. Help please! Thanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm keeping my stock tail gate on as long as I
can.

I know they'll be a time for a senior moment
when I end up smashing the tailgate on the pin
as I drive off.

It will either be a senior moment or it could
happen right after cocktail hour

That's when I probably will end up buying one
of those v shaped gates.

I've been pretty good at remembering all the
steps to un-hitch.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:08 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Howie, does the tail gate limit your turning radius at all?
Old 07-29-2005, 04:14 PM   #5

Personally, I just keep the stock gate on, drop it when I hitch, then close it. If you don't have a plug in the bed, though, the brake cord can chafe the clear coat after a while. Also, there have been people who have forgotten to open the gate before trying to pull away from the trailer..

Lots of people just take the gate off, but I carry gear inside the truck bed, so that doesn't work for me.

I suppose I haven't gotten one of the 5th wheel gates because I've had other things to spend money on (the nice looking aluminum ones are pricy). Also, I don't really find it much of a bother to just drop the stock gate prior to backing into the trailer...

Some claim the gates with louvers improve milage, but a buddy actually checked and it didn't change his milage over running with the stock gate.

I guess the bottom line is- do whichever of the three you want.
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 04:19 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks Jeff thats just the info I was looking for. You know, a few years back an auto mag said a study showed removing the tail gate reduced mpg rather than improving it.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:21 PM   #7

Dave,

I went with my stock tailgate for 4 years without an insident of messing up. But that first 5er had an extended pin so I could hook up with having to close the tailgate.

When I went to the Alfa, the pin comes straight down. I had to be perfectly in line with the trailer to back under. I didn't want to take chances with forgetting and bashing the gel coat so I went to Camping World and bought a V- tailgate. Now I can back in from any angle and not worry about hitting the trailer. About $300.00 but for me worth it. I only leave it on when I am going to tow. Otherwise, I take it off and store it in the garage. It takes 2 minutes to exchange tailgates.

Clark

2005 F350 PSD CC DRW Tow Boss
C.CARNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 04:30 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks Ckark. At this point I don't even know how to get the gate off. Hey, have a great trip! BTY the chicken was very tasty.
Old 07-29-2005, 07:21 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hoverbug:
Howie, does the tail gate limit your turning radius at all? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope......
Old 07-29-2005, 07:22 PM   #10

Wow Dave:

Clark and I were just yackin about this when he dropped by my office a day or so ago...

Sure would be nice to have that louvered tailgate. But the DW would have a heyday (she hates them- sorta like those big 'ol full-eyed sunglasses!)...I still think she'd go for it if it was painted the color of the truck (and maybe even trimmed out like it was factory).

And I have also heard of the mileage issue not being positive...hummm...I've had crap flying out of the bed because of the turbulence back there, so I'm a tad skeptical about that myself- anytime wind can get that dramatic, I'm sure it's dragging SOMETHING down with it and I'm sure it's not the pavement. Of course, if you merely let the air go out the tailgate area, then it's just hitting the front of the coach, so that may explain why the mileage isn't any better.

Don't ask the manufacturers....their lips are still moving!

Sean
Old 07-29-2005, 07:25 PM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by C.CARNEY:
It takes 2 minutes to exchange tailgates. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Clark and all..

I did a mod on my Chevy tailgate which prevents
anyone from stealing it quickly.

It would take me 15 minutes to do the change,
plus I'm too cheap to spend $300 bucks.

Howie
Old 07-29-2005, 07:46 PM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I did a mod on my Chevy tailgate which prevents
anyone from stealing it quickly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well Howie! Would we expect any less out of the Mod King???!!

But I'm gonna tell you...I wouldn't be a big fan of swapping out tailgates (sorry Clark)...that'd be just ONE MORE THING that I'd have to do to get the heck outta Dodge, and I've spent so much of my time eliminating those types of tasks. Not to mention that it'd be my luck I'd ding the tailgate so many times it'd look like a clay pigeon.

No...I think I'll stick to the 'drop it', pull in, and 'close 'er up' method...like you, I've got pretty good at it, except for out last gathering (the pin box is about 3 times longer than my last, and I thought I'd pull forward enough to get a better stab and I dinged the plastic tailgate cap a tad on the new King- thank goodness the metal wasn't touched. You shudda seen Moski...if looks could kill).
Old 07-29-2005, 07:49 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ok folks the tailgate stays on and I use a check list for hooking/unhooking. Now some other ?? The '97 Ford has a factory installed brake control. Is that technology ok or do I pop for a new one. The Burb has a hydrolic operated control which is pretty failsafe. But that was before antilock brakes. What to do.
Old 07-29-2005, 07:51 PM   #14

Howie,

I have a small Master padlock and cable attached to the tailgate through the louvers and an inside tie down to pervent the honest people from just walking away. If someone really wants it, oh well. For me I had to go that way because of the new trailer's pin box. And it really doesn't look to bad.

Clark

2005 F350 PSD CC DRW Tow Boss
C.CARNEY is offline   Reply With Quote