Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-15-2015, 01:07 PM   #1

Smile taking ramp off toyhauler and

Hello I am thinking of taking ramp off toyhauler and then turning garage in to patio as the older I have gotten I have a hard time lifting the ramp I want to maybe take roof and sides of garage and make it an open patio/carrier, has anyone done this, and I want to put a folding aluminium approx 4-5 ft wide that I can lift easier and use for dog ramp? any ideas? I do have the party ramp with fence etc and awning, but I hope to move awning to outside sliding doors to living area, I have a Heartland Road Warrior 305 also are the garages water proof, so if it got wet would it be ok? I think this would work for me maybe build benches or something like that for siting and inside you could store stuff? any help or ideas would be appreciated. Karen

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2015, 05:37 AM   #2

The ramp on my Salem fits into the door frame and I am sure that it helps the structure of the trailer for stopping flexing of the rear of the trailer. I would take the trailer to a repair facility and have the lift assistance system adjusted to help you lift the ramp. Add a little more tension.

NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 08:58 PM   #3

How about installing a 12 volt winch to lift the door?
PbdBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 06:05 AM   #4

ramp

Any Ideas on who could install said winch? I have no idea how to do this? Thank you Karen
Old 10-19-2015, 07:45 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Good Morning, The inside of the garage really is just the same as the interior of any RV and shouldn't get "wet" on a regular bases, true they are usually a little better at handling the outside elements. There are several ways to make the ramp easier to lift, if you have the springs in the hinge you can add another set of springs to the door, kinda like garage door springs, if you have this style already you can put heaver rated springs on. The winch idea would work, but add extra framing ect to hang the winch on, electric to run ect. I personally like to keep things simple, (breaks less).
93 Monaco Dynasty 300HP (for now)
Harley1994 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 11:09 AM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Lippert, who makes the ramp doors, actually makes an electric open and close kit for their ramps. Any authorized Lippert dealer can install it for you.

See the lower right of this page and the power lift is described:
Ramp Door Patio Systems
Old 10-19-2015, 02:52 PM   #7

Question TH ramp door

I would really rather just take the ramp off but maybe leave enough on top to help support the camper and maybe put large windows in and put a aluminum 3 ft ramp to load my bike and also ramp for dogs but light enough I could handle, I have a little like 3 X 3 with steps just want a place to hang out and not worry about ramps and winches etc. like Harley1994 said earlier keep it simple - want to make more use of some of garage to make living area larger. I cannot find the lift kit in Lippert. I even thought about a winch that I could just hook truck to and get it up enough I could move it and lock it in. but just seems to get more complicated. and since I cannot do this myself I would need help from someone that is talented. Kinda just wanted to use some of garage for patio like on some of the tiny houses I have seen. Thank you all Karen
Old 10-19-2015, 03:33 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
You won't find the part number or anything on Lippert's website but on the page I posted you will see it mentioned. Because Lippert will only sell it to an authorized dealer and not directly to you, they don't bother to put pricing or part numbers online. Contact an RV dealer for pricing and installation labor cost.

Removing any part of the door permanently will cause your garage floor, walls, etc. to rot. It's not an exterior surface in there and really shouldn't be open long in the rain when sitting still. Never mind the vacuum will occur while towing sucking water in.
Old 10-20-2015, 06:12 AM   #9

Ramp door

Thank you all so much for your help. I will see about getting the Lippert ramp assist I thought since you could haul stuff back there it could get wet maybe I need to go back to horse trailers, they can get wet and are aluminum, It is awesome to have so many people willing to help me and assist me in finding what I need, to do the things I want to make my camper work for me. YOu all are the best. Thanks again. Karen
Old 10-20-2015, 10:10 AM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Glad to try and help Karen...