Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2015, 02:18 PM   #1

Tesla 3212 - first 4 months review

I purchased a Tesla 3212 Toy Hauler in early September and can't say I'm that impressed with the quality. Here are the issues:

1. Towed the unit home and the first time I tried the 6way auto levelling system it didn't work. My bad as I didn't have the dealership demo them to me, but I figured they would have insured the operation during the PDI. It turns out after towing it back to the dealership for service, that the sensor box at the rear of the trailer was installed 180 degrees in reverse, so the trailer thought the rear of the trailer was the front.

I didn't have time to get the unit out for a trial before I headed to the southern U.S. and have had these issues:

2. While towing the trailer into and through Montana I noticed a piece of black material hanging under the trailer on the drivers side in front of the axles. Upon inspection the black plastic undercarriage cover had ripped and torn and was dragging on the pavement, partially melting due to friction along the edge dragging on the pavement. I did not hit or run over anything.

3. The Dual brand DVD player does not work - I get error message despite trying numerous store bought DVDs.

4. The fresh water gauge reads empty despite the fresh water tank being full (when filling the water is leaking out the overflow so I know it's full).

5. Intermittent electrical wiring on the three AC receptacles that supplies the microwave.

6. Intermittent light above the sink (tap on light to get it to work).

7. Grey water valve wouldn't close, now it does, but it leaks.

8. The other day the grey water gauge said 2/3 full, but while showering, I was standing in a pool of water (tank was full and not draining shower).

9. When I pulled the grey valve open nothing would come out until I opened the black water valve.

10. The bathroom sink leaked underneath - had to tighten drain nut.

11. The kitchen sinks leaked underneath - had to tighten both nuts.

12. The pass through storage under the bunk area was soaking wet and it appears the black PVC pipe draining the bathroom sink has been leaking for some time and unfortunately not discovered for some time as it was leaking into the cardboard box holding my Outland fire bowl (propane fire pit). The lower part of the walls are still damp and all of the screws have started to rust.

13. The air conditioner seems weak. Outside temp 23C, inside thermostat read 84F, set thermostat temp to 70F and after 5 hours, inside temp only dropped to 78 F.

14. Hot water tank (on demand) pressure relief valve leaking despite "burping" the valve to get it to seat. I have also noticed green corrosion around the threaded fitting to the pressure relief valve. One day I had no hot water, and found one of the wires to be laying in a puddle of water at the bottom of the tank exterior. Upon close inspection, the crimp connectors were covered in the green corrosion and one of the wires was no longer connected. I relocated the wire so it can't sit in water again, and reconnected it - problem solved, hit water works.

15. Front closet door in master bedroom came off track while opening left side and I could not get it back on. It's back on now, but it must have been jarred back on while towing it as I couldn't put it back on.

16. Main roller blind over top of sofa is crooked (noticeably so).

17. Roller blind over large slide out front small window came off on right side, unable to get it back on.

18. The black tank level gauge always reads 2/3 full despite being emptied.

I contacted Evergreen (who didn't really seem to care that I was having so many issues with a brand new 2015 trailer of theirs) and was told of a dealer in Mesa to take it to. I dropped the trailer there on December 22 and flew home for Xmas. I'm hoping all of the issues will be resolved upon my return.

Other things I've noticed about this particular model:

1. There are no windows on the passenger side of the trailer in the main living area, so you have to either open the front door or go up to the bedroom and kneel down on the floor to look outside, or go into the garage to look out the rear window.

2. You can't see out the windows in the living room slide unless you stand up as they are so high up the wall.

3. There is very little counter space for food preparation.

I don't know if I'd buy another Evergreen product with the number of issues with this trailer, and I don't like the fact of the last 3 items I mentioned above.
TeslaOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2015, 02:09 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the report. Let us know how well your dealer is able to resolve... And how long it takes.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 03:59 PM   #3

Evergreen Owners Club
Evergreen (Tesla) issues

Items 2, 4, and 8 probably have some relationship to each other. I can speak from experience after owning a 2013 Bay Hill, also manufactured by Evergreen. I too had dragging Coroplast (rubber sheeting) under my trailer. Water was leaking out of the water tank overflow because the idiot installers at Best RV in Turlock, California put it in upside down with the drain valve facing up instead of down. Sloshing water caused the rubberized sheeting to pull loose from the frame. Prior to this, the first water tank simply fell out because the tank was improperly strapped in and the angle-iron frame was of insufficient gauge to hold the tank even when partially full, again tearing the Coroplast. We are on our third water tank since the second one deformed because of improper installation.

With regard to your standing in a pool of water while showering, we too had the same issue. There is a second gray water/galley water drain lever. Ours is located to the left of the sewer drain. This pull lever was neither labeled nor alluded to in the shoddy PDI at the dealership. A mobile RV plumber quickly discovered the water release lever and we got smooth drainage after that.

A few of the other issues you alluded to can be referenced in the Bay Hill forum.

Best of luck...Ken
KenInCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 12:34 PM   #4

While the first list of problems are undoubtedly not your fault and I hope get resolved for you, the second 3 problems you listed are definitely your fault. Did you not walk through the trailer and saw lack of windows, counterspace and no windows in the slide? Lol
dcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 02:15 PM   #5

I'm sure Elon Musk, owner and founder of Tesla Motors who make the awesome electric cars, must be highly ticked off at something with "his" corporate identity on it being so shoddily built.
Old 01-31-2016, 05:27 PM   #6

Thinking about buying a 2015 Telsa 3950 toy hauler, I dont want to be having trouble with a new rig. My Jayco bunk fith wheel been good to me.
Pave441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 03:53 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pave441 View Post
Thinking about buying a 2015 Telsa 3950 toy hauler, I dont want to be having trouble with a new rig. My Jayco bunk fith wheel been good to me.
Chances are you'll have trouble with ANY new rig. The amount of trouble and how quickly it is addressed tends to vary.

I wouldn't say that any of the issues above are really critical. And honestly most could be avoided by spending the hours (before completing the sale) doing a PDI. That's not to say that the OP shouldn't have expected a working trailer, but I am saying that you can avoid a lot of that mess if you go through all of it on the lot before paying...

Evergreen response seems OK with me - call Keystone and you'll get "talk to the dealer" - when we called for service on a trip, if you didn't buy it there, expect a 3+ month waiting period for something simple. Evergreen's response is an improvement.

Counter space, window position, number of windows - those are pre-purchase selections.

For a comparison - 2015 Keystone:
1) Most of the exterior sheet metal screws were backing out.
2) Tires (new) were a suspect China new-brand. I had them replaced.
3) Oem wheels/tires were not balanced, probably contributed to screws backing out.
4) PEX insulation missing in a few places.
5) Cabinet locks (several) didn't function, broke cabinets/drawers during travel.
6) LED lighting (every single LED interior light) failed, one at a time
7) Black and gray water tanks mislabeled, same as Evergreen
8) Fresh/black/gray water probes inaccurate... Pretty much in every RV.
9) various wires outside rubbing
10) Poor duct work to AC connection (probably the same thing that's wrong with his Evergreen)
11) Roof failed (roof covering not properly glued) - replaced by dealer (took about 50 days total)
12) Happy-Jack bed doesn't go up enough to put the locks in place (repaired twice to date, still not right)

A PDI (there are lists on this forum) greatly decreases the number of issues above...
Old 02-13-2016, 03:44 PM   #8

It amazes me people and some the posts they put on here.. 99% of these issues could have and would have been taken care of if you would have stayed in it for a day or 2 at your dealer before you took off the lot. You're not buying a car!!!...geez
Come someone find a the "brightness" switch in these forums and turn it up...geez
Honestly...how many of you have bought a new...expensive 5th wheel...and then drive it off the lot a few 100 miles and then try to learn how to operate it?
Sounds like Forest Gump all over again...Stupid is...as Stupid does
suprdave1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 03:51 PM   #9

And by the way...I have a Tesla 3950...4-5 issues when I first bought it. I stayed in it for 2 days...BEFORE I drove it off the dealer lot and ALL of the issues were corrected BEFORE I left the dealer. Over the last year...the bedroom slide didn't close all the way a couple of times, but another Evergreen dealer repaired this...and we had 2 flat tires..and that's it!
With that said, I keep it well maintained...cleaning and waxing once a month...why? Because I can and that's part of owning a "mobile" home!
suprdave1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 05:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
Chances are you'll have trouble with ANY new rig. The amount of trouble and how quickly it is addressed tends to vary.

I wouldn't say that any of the issues above are really critical. And honestly most could be avoided by spending the hours (before completing the sale) doing a PDI. That's not to say that the OP shouldn't have expected a working trailer, but I am saying that you can avoid a lot of that mess if you go through all of it on the lot before paying...

Evergreen response seems OK with me - call Keystone and you'll get "talk to the dealer" - when we called for service on a trip, if you didn't buy it there, expect a 3+ month waiting period for something simple. Evergreen's response is an improvement.

Counter space, window position, number of windows - those are pre-purchase selections.

For a comparison - 2015 Keystone:
1) Most of the exterior sheet metal screws were backing out.
2) Tires (new) were a suspect China new-brand. I had them replaced.
3) Oem wheels/tires were not balanced, probably contributed to screws backing out.
4) PEX insulation missing in a few places.
5) Cabinet locks (several) didn't function, broke cabinets/drawers during travel.
6) LED lighting (every single LED interior light) failed, one at a time
7) Black and gray water tanks mislabeled, same as Evergreen
8) Fresh/black/gray water probes inaccurate... Pretty much in every RV.
9) various wires outside rubbing
10) Poor duct work to AC connection (probably the same thing that's wrong with his Evergreen)
11) Roof failed (roof covering not properly glued) - replaced by dealer (took about 50 days total)
12) Happy-Jack bed doesn't go up enough to put the locks in place (repaired twice to date, still not right)

A PDI (there are lists on this forum) greatly decreases the number of issues above...
Hi again,

So sorry you had a bad experiences with Keystone. You again blame Keystone for your issues that caused you so much grief. Yet, all due respect, to me, it sounds like you may have had a bad, uninvolved dealer that did not work with you and Keystone to resolve the issues.

Keystone, as I have stated many times here on this forum, has been great for me. The only reason for that is that I went through my dealer that has a relationship with Keystone. My dealer always got everything done, and then some. All approved via Keystone. Why is your experience so vastly different than mine? The only variable I can think of is the dealer. I also approached all issues without flaming anyone or demanding one thing or the other. Not suggesting you did, but my dealer has made my Keystone experience great.

I have never had a reason to even have to contact Keystone directly.
Old 02-13-2016, 08:24 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by raineman View Post
Keystone, as I have stated many times here on this forum, has been great for me. The only reason for that is that I went through my dealer that has a relationship with Keystone. My dealer always got everything done, and then some. All approved via Keystone. Why is your experience so vastly different than mine? The only variable I can think of is the dealer. I also approached all issues without flaming anyone or demanding one thing or the other. Not suggesting you did, but my dealer has made my Keystone experience great.
I think part of the difference is WHERE you're at when you have an issue. My dealer works with Keystone well (to date) - but when I'm 1200 miles from that dealer, the lack of direct support hurts... As does the referral to a "local dealer" - that wont service non-purchased trailers.

To be specific - I've had no issues with Keystone approving repairs, but the process does take a while and may be less than helpful if you're away from that dealer..

Talking to Keystone directly - is an exercise in frustration...

Tags
3212, evergreen, tesla, toy hauler