Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:56 PM   #1

TH to carry a small car, and full time in

I have looked for a toy hauler I can put a small car in like a Mini, and has a living area that is at the level of the top end 5ers, like a Carriage type level. Is there one out there?
I am also interested in a Class A motorhome toy hauler with the same level of livability. Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2011, 08:23 PM   #2

Forest River Work & Play possible. Class A toy hauler... large bucks as far as I know but have not looked closely.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:34 PM   #3
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River XLR model, or the Raptor are good starts your limited by what you can carry and what your truck can tow. I would go with a garage we got one for our quad and motorcycle I can close the door and not worry about fuel smells or anything else and a Smart Car is short, and lite.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:22 PM   #4

Raptor

Raptor ...or...Fusion if you have the $$$$ with 12-foot garage (2200lbs), separate door. SmartCar may not be luxrious enuf you...but it will fit. Now, spend the $$$ and get the correct truck. Dually, diesel, etc. etc. Have fun shopping. Merry Christmas. We have the 3612DS Raptor, but buying the 3812TS this coming Friday, all used.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:47 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Damon Outlaw Class A toyhauler can haul a smart car. I have a trike in our garage and tow an SUV.
Lindaxtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:20 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Class A Toy Hauler for a car?

There is a member on here who hauls a Smart Car in the Damon Outlaw and posted pictures of same. "ViCap" seems to be happy with it. You can do a member search for her postings to find the post.

Note that Diesel Class A on the Damon has a higher weight rating. Good Luck!
Old 01-14-2012, 07:26 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindaxtwo View Post
Damon Outlaw Class A toyhauler can haul a smart car. I have a trike in our garage and tow an SUV.
Great Blog....I'm a new follower and look forward to your travels and adventures!
Old 01-15-2012, 08:50 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm not sure why the OP would consider carrying a car in a 5th wheel since once you're parked you have a truck

Carrying a MINI might be pushing the limits of even the Diesel Freightliner chassis. Don't even look at the GM or Ford chassis Outlaws if you want real carrying capacity. I have a Ford F53 and when I carry my bike with full water and loaded storage bins I'm overweight on the rear axle
Old 01-18-2012, 10:49 AM   #9

Excel Owners Club
I have been looking to buy a smart car for our Toy Hauler. Even though it isn't a problem driving a FLSC around. It is sometimes limited where you can park and drive. Also, If your doing a lot of touring at your destination the 10MPG vs 60MPG adds up. Plus the DW will drive the SC but not the FLSC.
RickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:59 PM   #10

My 08 Raptor 3712 has a 12 ft garage that has a door between the living area & garage which is nice. all I have used the garage for is storage, Not what I bought it for but due to my DWs health the wing stays home and will most likely be selling the TRL and buying something smaller
Old 01-28-2012, 10:33 AM   #11

You should look into the Enduramax line of toy haulers (made by Gulf Stream) all of their current models are toy haulers with a removable vapor wall (hinged) called XL (extended living) to be opened while parked to give us the use of the the garage area as living space. We just purchased a new 3950END and the quality thoughout the unit appears as good as or better than the 4012 Cyclone it replaced. This is an upper end toy hauler with very nice features like the atrium slide, raised kitchen area, drains in the garage to rinse out, (w/ fiberglass walls that can be sprayed off) the 2 baths, huge holding tanks, ful sized shower and the removable wall were just a few things that put this 5ver toy hauler above the rest.
Also the rear ramp is rated for over 3000 lbs (most others are rated for less than 2500 lbs) We are looking at a few (there are only a few :( ) choices for cars that will fit in the 144" garage. Smart for two, Scion IQ, and Fiat 500. There are a few more cars on the horizion that will/should fit but they are not for sale in the US as of yet. ei Chevy Spark, Smart for us, and a few others but I'm not too sure we are willing to wait a year or more for these micro subcompact cars)
Old 01-28-2012, 12:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGShaffer View Post
I'm not sure why the OP would consider carrying a car in a 5th wheel since once you're parked you have a truck

That is the same thing I wondered about?
Old 02-16-2012, 06:54 PM   #13

Our raptor 3912 is rated at 2500 pounds. We carry a 900 kaw and a 800 trike. We use a fl70 to pull it
Old 02-22-2012, 12:17 AM   #14

It seems many people's definition of quality differs and it is really based in terms of price point. Depending on your budget you could go with one of the better quality mass produced toy haulers or if your budget allowed you to spend more you could go with more of a custom built manufacturer. I was in a similar situation a few months ago. After owning two new fifth wheels over the last 6 yrs that were both from a popular mass produced manufacturer, I found that even though it might have been more quality for that price point, for my needs it was actually very poor quality. So after doing over a year of research I decided to go with an Excel Wild Cargo. IMHO there truly is not a better quality TH on the market. Check out their website and watch their construction videos and compare to other popular TH companies...you might be surprised at how low quality other manufacturers really are.