Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2019, 05:42 PM   #1

TH weights and tow vehicles

I'm interested in a TH and will also need to buy a vehicle to tow said TH. This is confusing me a bit. The GVWRs are really high for THs. It makes sense as they are expected to be carrying toys. However, I will never use it to haul heavy toys. I just like TH configurations better than TTs. So, do I really need a vehicle that can tow the GVWR number plus breathing room? I'd prefer a mid-size to half ton vehicle with better gas mileage rather than a huge one ton dually 5,500Lb TH has a GVRW of 10,500.
saffikeagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2019, 05:56 PM   #2

One thing to keep in mind about Toy Haulers is this. When towing empty, as in no toys in the rear garage area, the tongue or pin weight is usually a little higher than you might expect for a trailer of that size. They purposely build them that way so that once loaded with Toys, that rearward weight helps reduce the weight on the tongue. An example that I will give you is my own T.H. It has a 13K GVWR and is advertised with a 1340 lb tongue weight. After I bought it and started using it for the first time, I quickly realized that the tongue was way too light and after scaling it, I found that I just barely had 10% of the trailer weight on the tongue. I had some serious sway issues because of the light tongue weight. Long story short(er), I ended up putting right at 200 lbs of extra weight in the nose of the trailer......sand tubes, a double 6V battery setup instead of a singe 12V, I even have a 35 lb barbell plate under my cargo slide.....all in the very front of the trailer. I also, almost never leave the house without at least 50-60 gallons of fresh water in the 106 gallon tank...it also contributes to adding some weight back up front for the tongue weight. After making those modifications, I ended up with about 11.5% of the trailer weight on the tongue and it tows very well like that.
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:29 PM   #3

Really good 411. Thanks! Really, I just want a TT with the fold up couches etc that the THs have. The ramp vs a small door with stairs and ease of cleaning and carrying crap in and out will be handy too. Then there's the main reason of a 75lb doggo who takes up way too much square footage...2ft tall, 3 feet long with a 2.75 foot turning radius (I wish I were joking).

I realized last night that there's quite a possibility that a small TH will come without a generator. I'm sure I can get a good 50lbs out of one of those. So, a configuration with storage space vs a bed at the front would be easiest to manage, right?
saffikeagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:39 PM   #4

Another example of toy hauler tongue weight..
dry the manufacture rates our Desert Fox 24as at 1400lbs. but... when loaded and no toys, the tongue weight is 2200lbs.

if you do get a pull behind TH, and if it weighs more than 10,000lbs you'll need the 1 ton (11.5 gvwr), most likely to stay under your vehicle payload capacity - that is if you plan to carry additional gear in the tow vehicle.
slipp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, weight