Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2005, 07:53 PM   #1

I posted this on the "other" forum but, just in case, I didn't want you guys to miss it.

I just came across this old photo (and I've been lookin' thru <span class="ev_code_RED">a lot</span> of old photos) and thought I would share the story. This was over 15 years ago and one of the most amazing things we ever saw while camping. Early one evening we pulled into a state park in Pennsylvania to camp. In the adjacent site was a family of four who were already set up. There was mom and dad and two sons, maybe 8 and 15. They had two small pop-up tents, an array of lanterns, a cookstove, food and drink spread around. We were especially curious when we noticed only a big road bike with an outrageous side car and a small cargo trailer.

In the morning we were fascinated watching this family load up -- the ENTIRE campsite was packed into the little cargo trailer and the panniers. Then mom and dad got on the motorcycle and the TWO KIDS in the sidecar(!!) as they hooked up a helmet communication system between them all.

The most incredible part of this story is that they had come all the way from California (yikes!) and were headed to New York City! They wanted to know if there was any camping near Central Park. Holy crap!

Check this out:

SandyFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2005, 07:53 PM   #2

I posted this on the "other" forum but, just in case, I didn't want you guys to miss it.

I just came across this old photo (and I've been lookin' thru <span class="ev_code_RED">a lot</span> of old photos) and thought I would share the story. This was over 15 years ago and one of the most amazing things we ever saw while camping. Early one evening we pulled into a state park in Pennsylvania to camp. In the adjacent site was a family of four who were already set up. There was mom and dad and two sons, maybe 8 and 15. They had two small pop-up tents, an array of lanterns, a cookstove, food and drink spread around. We were especially curious when we noticed only a big road bike with an outrageous side car and a small cargo trailer.

In the morning we were fascinated watching this family load up -- the ENTIRE campsite was packed into the little cargo trailer and the panniers. Then mom and dad got on the motorcycle and the TWO KIDS in the sidecar(!!) as they hooked up a helmet communication system between them all.

The most incredible part of this story is that they had come all the way from California (yikes!) and were headed to New York City! They wanted to know if there was any camping near Central Park. Holy crap!

Check this out:

SandyFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 08:23 PM   #3

That IS amazing.......My kids get restless driving a couple hours in a burb, can't imagine trying something like that.
high desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 06:09 AM   #4

Wow Sandy...now that's traveling lite! I wonder what's it's like to be riding with a sidecar AND a trailer..."things that make ya go 'hummmmm'......"

Good one!!
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 06:22 AM   #5

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
I wonder if you could get away with mulitple kid passengers in a side car today. Maybe

And that reminds me of someone here at iRV2 who has a similar rig, and puts some big miles on it.
i just copied a thread that he has posted on so you could see the pic in his signature:
http://irv2.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9136094452/m/3...311011841#9311011841
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 08:05 AM   #6

Wow. That side car is sweet... Talk about vintage.

Jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 09:50 AM   #7

Do you suppose that law enforcement would look at that setup a little different today than back when they were riding in it? Does a sidecar require seatbelts?

Reminds me of the days when we used to jump around on the rear seat driving down the road, or laying in the rear window of the car, or driveing around with 7 people in the back of my brothers Courier pickup going to the beach. I guess at the time what we didn't think of wouldn't hurt us.

Clark

2005 F350 PSD CC DRW Tow Boss
C.CARNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 11:52 AM   #8

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Do you suppose that law enforcement would look at that setup a little different today than back when they were riding in it? Does a sidecar require seatbelts? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My recollection is that No on the safetybelts since I think it is still technically a motorcycle with passengers, but then that means YES to the helmets.
I have often mulled around getting a sidecar for one of my bikes throughout the years, but then have found the price of them. ooops

And that is funny, i remember my sister and i trading off sleeping on the rear window dash as the family drove long distance. Cars were bigger then and those dashes were perfect for a 10 year old or younger. These days, if someone saw you doing that they would probably force you off the road and smack your Pa around.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 10:26 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by C.CARNEY:
Do you suppose that law enforcement would look at that setup a little different today than back when they were riding in it? Does a sidecar require seatbelts?

Reminds me of the days when we used to jump around on the rear seat driving down the road, or laying in the rear window of the car, or driveing around with 7 people in the back of my brothers Courier pickup going to the beach. I guess at the time what we didn't think of wouldn't hurt us.

Clark </div></BLOCKQUOTE> wOw, talking about things like this reminds me of my dad telling me, "hop back there and hold that trash down, were going to the dump"... boy how times have changed and I am only 30!

06 Rampage 387
RRC/AMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 01:56 PM   #10

That reminds me part of Bill Engvall's bit..."Sealbelts? He!!, my dad useta cut 'em out of the car! And airbags- that was your dad's arm! And dashes were metal dashboards- you just learned how to take a fall back then"!

Yeap...those were the days!
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote