Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-18-2006, 06:52 PM   #1

Alright...even though I haven't got pics yet (we ALL forgot our cameras except one friend who I will get them from in a week or two), the vacation to Kennedy Meadows was fantastic- great place. But I have to admit- with the San Bernardino Mountains just behind us, I really don't think one has to travel that far (approx 177 miles from our house in Yucaipa) to get the same thrill. Maybe my son, who rode his MC would differ, but we had a great time in mid-80's temps during the day and low 50's at night- great sleeping weather.

Anyway...we got up there to Troy Meadows Overflow and found a spot just as 5 other rigs pulled in right after us. It was pretty crowded. We set up, and started to relax when we overheard some feuding going on- some of the people behind us "took" a spot that one of the nearby campers had "reserved" with his truck. Obviously, we were going to hear this all weekend. I could see both sides, but with being so close to both of them, we were uneasy about the whole situation- especially when one of the original campers had a 22 he was firing off in camp (hummmm....another reason to "beat feet")...

We had to try to find a phone, which there isn't any public phones anywhere up there (the phone at the General Store had been ripped out, and the phone company across the road from the Grumpy Bear- which BTW wasn't selling any liquor- didn't have any payphones either). On our way back we happened to see Mahogany Camp, about a 1/2 mile below Troy, and there wasn't anyone in it! We left Brian there to save it for us, and scurried back to camp, threw everything in the coaches, and within 20 minutes (a feat in and of itself- we were intwinded in the trees) we were in this beautiful, humongous spot with a great view. I could even get a satellite signal (for the race on Sunday- c'mon!). We proceeded to have 4 1/2 days of pure fun, playing BachiBall (sp?), Badmitton, and Quates (sp? again!). My son and a friend's son got to do a bit of riding there also- learning to ride in the trees. Fortunately, no major accidents, but the friend's bike became dysfunctional after a spill the 3rd day). We did get a couple more rigs in the area, but they were easily 100's of feet away and never an issue- couldn't say that for the other spot.

Notice I've left the best for last- the trip UP the hill, and the trip down. I must say, that Tow Boss really has a propensity for working it's buttt off- I was EXTEMEY PLEASED with it's performance- UP, it was 2nd gear, 30mph, 3000-3100rpm and about 1/2 throttle. The cooling fan whizzed constantly (the coolant temp gauge is a pretty active gauge), but the tranny temp needle never moved. The SLC had to be over 17k in weight because we had full water and fuel, as well as enough groceries, clothing, and toys for a MONTH'S worth of vaca- 2 weeks prior I had weighed it with virtually no fuel or water, and not loaded with an XR400 or any clothing or food, and it was a CatScale 14,700. (I wanted to try to get water up there, but couldn't get a definitive answer as to where and how- good thing- the only spigot we found in Troy was on the last part of the loop that would've been a snowball's chance in he!! of getting to). Going DOWN was a little adventerous also, but only at 15-20 mph, 1st gear, and anywhere from 3000-3500rpm- which is truly surprised me that for most of the way, the TorqShift tranny held the speed down- braking was never an issue. Of course, we had emptied all the tanks except black, and had alot less food (read: beer) to bring home. The only tricky part is where, in the middle of the hill, the road narrows and is a little tricky with oncomming traffic.

We did fill up at the Pearsonville Shell on 395 before we headed up, and filled up again when we came down- 74 miles and I took 15.48 gallons....4.8 mpgs- an even $50.00 to make it up and down. The rest of the way home only took a little more than a 1/2 tank, which would be around 8-9 mpgs.

I'll update with pics when I get them, but I wanted to get the particulars out before I forgot them. Overall- a successful trip with no maladies!

Sean

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2006, 06:52 PM   #2

Alright...even though I haven't got pics yet (we ALL forgot our cameras except one friend who I will get them from in a week or two), the vacation to Kennedy Meadows was fantastic- great place. But I have to admit- with the San Bernardino Mountains just behind us, I really don't think one has to travel that far (approx 177 miles from our house in Yucaipa) to get the same thrill. Maybe my son, who rode his MC would differ, but we had a great time in mid-80's temps during the day and low 50's at night- great sleeping weather.

Anyway...we got up there to Troy Meadows Overflow and found a spot just as 5 other rigs pulled in right after us. It was pretty crowded. We set up, and started to relax when we overheard some feuding going on- some of the people behind us "took" a spot that one of the nearby campers had "reserved" with his truck. Obviously, we were going to hear this all weekend. I could see both sides, but with being so close to both of them, we were uneasy about the whole situation- especially when one of the original campers had a 22 he was firing off in camp (hummmm....another reason to "beat feet")...

We had to try to find a phone, which there isn't any public phones anywhere up there (the phone at the General Store had been ripped out, and the phone company across the road from the Grumpy Bear- which BTW wasn't selling any liquor- didn't have any payphones either). On our way back we happened to see Mahogany Camp, about a 1/2 mile below Troy, and there wasn't anyone in it! We left Brian there to save it for us, and scurried back to camp, threw everything in the coaches, and within 20 minutes (a feat in and of itself- we were intwinded in the trees) we were in this beautiful, humongous spot with a great view. I could even get a satellite signal (for the race on Sunday- c'mon!). We proceeded to have 4 1/2 days of pure fun, playing BachiBall (sp?), Badmitton, and Quates (sp? again!). My son and a friend's son got to do a bit of riding there also- learning to ride in the trees. Fortunately, no major accidents, but the friend's bike became dysfunctional after a spill the 3rd day). We did get a couple more rigs in the area, but they were easily 100's of feet away and never an issue- couldn't say that for the other spot.

Notice I've left the best for last- the trip UP the hill, and the trip down. I must say, that Tow Boss really has a propensity for working it's buttt off- I was EXTEMEY PLEASED with it's performance- UP, it was 2nd gear, 30mph, 3000-3100rpm and about 1/2 throttle. The cooling fan whizzed constantly (the coolant temp gauge is a pretty active gauge), but the tranny temp needle never moved. The SLC had to be over 17k in weight because we had full water and fuel, as well as enough groceries, clothing, and toys for a MONTH'S worth of vaca- 2 weeks prior I had weighed it with virtually no fuel or water, and not loaded with an XR400 or any clothing or food, and it was a CatScale 14,700. (I wanted to try to get water up there, but couldn't get a definitive answer as to where and how- good thing- the only spigot we found in Troy was on the last part of the loop that would've been a snowball's chance in he!! of getting to). Going DOWN was a little adventerous also, but only at 15-20 mph, 1st gear, and anywhere from 3000-3500rpm- which is truly surprised me that for most of the way, the TorqShift tranny held the speed down- braking was never an issue. Of course, we had emptied all the tanks except black, and had alot less food (read: beer) to bring home. The only tricky part is where, in the middle of the hill, the road narrows and is a little tricky with oncomming traffic.

We did fill up at the Pearsonville Shell on 395 before we headed up, and filled up again when we came down- 74 miles and I took 15.48 gallons....4.8 mpgs- an even $50.00 to make it up and down. The rest of the way home only took a little more than a 1/2 tank, which would be around 8-9 mpgs.

I'll update with pics when I get them, but I wanted to get the particulars out before I forgot them. Overall- a successful trip with no maladies!

Sean

Old 07-18-2006, 09:19 PM   #3

S~
Sounds like a great time! Without trying to sound like a lame-o, where is this place? I have never heard of it before and it sounds great...especially the temps! Glad you had a good time.

Deb
Old 07-19-2006, 08:47 AM   #4

I can't believe you left us...the arguments were almost over....kidding I would have moved too.

Glad you had a good time. Good thing you moved to a better spot.
We've been thinking about trying the area out too, but for us its even further and more awkward to make the trip...maybe next year with a full weeks time off.

Did you get the latest reflash? Ever since mine got done it seems like the TorqShift just doesn't do as good as when I first got it on the down hills and slow downs.

Be sure to post pics when you get them.

acjjkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 08:42 PM   #5

Al:

Will be getting pics this weekend..thanks for the reminder...

As far as the recall stuff- I've yet to take my baby in...the 05B32 (De-Gas bottle fill level/fluid adjustment) from what I hear is only a new sticker...haven't looked at one one yet that came with it! But the 05E16 campaign (ECM recalibration) is supposed to be only a OBD thing, but like you, I'm a little hesitant to have that one done, although, frankly, my Tow/Haul could be a little less drastic- it's pretty rough when it downshifts.

Has anyone other than you gone through this and do you see a change? Supposedly, you've got to have this done before you can re-reg in CA for this, so it's a little suspect in my mind.

Sean
Old 07-25-2006, 07:06 AM   #6

Maybe Lincster will chime in, he is pretty current on the Ford flashes
Old 07-25-2006, 01:03 PM   #7

Hi Sean.....Sounds like you had a great time... but what's up with the Grumpy Bear not selling liquor...No wonder he is so grumpy.

You'll have to teach me the finer points of bacci ball someday.

Wes
high desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 07:49 PM   #8

Wes:

The 'Ol Grumpy Bear I think was re-purchased, which precipitates a new liquor license. Of course, looking for a telephone, we went in there and everyone was drinking water (yeah...right!).

And oh...THAT's how you spell it!! Sounds like YOU could teach ME more finer points (like you already have!). It is alot of fun, but I suspect there's many varieties of play out there depending who you play with. Of course, I was the first to break one of them- I threw the white ball, and there was this BFR (Big Rock) right next to it and I managed to hit it. Do you know where to pick up a set?!

Hey Lincster Baby....I would have bet a $100 you wudda clammed onto the convo here by now....what's your take on the recalls?

Sean

p.s. I get pics this weekend!!
Old 07-25-2006, 10:01 PM   #9

I had you fooled.....after I did a search on where to find a set, I found that it's actually spelled "bocce ball". Here's a link to a site that sells them. www.bocceballsets.com

Wes
high desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 08:38 PM   #10

Sean...did I miss the pics somewhere.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:26 AM   #11

Oh Steve:

Thanks for reminding me!! Here ya go...

These are a few of them of our campground...the rest are on our Flickr Photo Site.

Sean