Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:35 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thor Outlaw

I recently purchased a used Class A Thor Outlaw and am unable to fit a Can-Am (trike) and a Honda Interstate in the garage. Therefore, I am considering installing an Overbilt Lift/Carrier to carry the Interstate. I would appreciate hearing from anyone having experience or information about installing a Lift/Carrier on a Thor Outlaw.

Thanks,
Outlaw Bill
Somerset, NJ

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2013, 08:33 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
papaw.1

Hi Bill,
Just a quick question.What does your Honda weigh? I am considering the same thing.I have a Ultra Classic that weighs about 1000lbs.Good Luck

papaw.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:54 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Bike Weight

Papaw,

I have a Honda Gold Wing that weighs 1100lbs and I wasn't comfortable with hanging that on the back of the coach, so I bought a Honda VT1300 Interstate that weighs in at 712lbs.

Looking at the undercarriage and seeing that the rear of the frame was extended is what gives me a little concern. The other concern I have is I need to get Jan's Can-Am out of the Outlaw garage without removing the lift. I have taken pictures and taken measurements to forward to Overbuilt for their opinion. I will post their reply once I hear back.

Outlaw Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaw.1 View Post
Hi Bill,
Just a quick question.What does your Honda weigh? I am considering the same thing.I have a Ultra Classic that weighs about 1000lbs.Good Luck
Old 03-02-2013, 08:02 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The garage of an Outlaw has a 2,000 lb capacity. I had an electric RV Motorcycle lift on my last RV to carry my Harley Ultra Classic. Weight is the determining factor if you can carry the wight of the lift and bike on the back. The rear axle has a weight limit. I suggest you weigh front and rear wheels when loaded with one bike, water, LP, and fuel. Too much weight hanging over the rear may make the front end light and make steering dangerous.
With my Ultra Classic Harley, Golf Cart, tools, aux refrigerator, and other stuff I carry in my Outlaw, I am near my weight limit.
My front tire of my full dresser is 27 inches center from the side wall which allows enough space on the other side of the garage
to fit another full dress motorcycle. BUT getting on and off and strapping down the 2nd bike would require a flexible body.
I suggest forgetting about the RV lift on the back as I expect it will interfere with lowering the Outlaws ramp door and your bike would get filthy.
I recommend you checking out the variety of motorcycle trailers, enclosed and open, and the pro and cons of each.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:19 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm pretty sure you'll be well over the rear axle weight limit on your Outlaw. I think one of Overbuilt requirements is that the frame be one piece all the way to the rear as well.

What year is your Outlaw? Did you buy it from Camping world in Lakewood? If you did, that was mine.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:01 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGShaffer View Post
I'm pretty sure you'll be well over the rear axle weight limit on your Outlaw. I think one of Overbuilt requirements is that the frame be one piece all the way to the rear as well.

What year is your Outlaw? Did you buy it from Camping world in Lakewood? If you did, that was mine.
Don,
Yes, I bought it from Camping World in Lakewood. It is certainly nice to meet you, even if only through this forum. I must thank you for keeping the outlaw in such great condition.

I hope we will be okay hauling a Can-Am (900lbs) and a Honda Interstate (700lbs) in the Outlaw. I managed to get them both in the garage. A little tight, but workable.

Bill & Jan the RV Outlaws
Old 03-06-2013, 04:56 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
After me post I saw that yours is a 2012, mine was an 08. Good to meet you as well. If you need any help or advise you might want to check in over at the "I love my Damon Outlaw" thread. This is a great group that have come together to share mods and conquer issues specific to the Outlaw http://www.irv2.com/forums/f120/i-lo...102560-67.html

Now that you have them back there, drive it out west on Rt 78 to the Pilot station just before the exit for Alpha and get it weighed. The plackard on the wall near the drivers set will tell you the gross weight rating on both axels. I think you'll find that you a little over weight but it will give you what you need to try to balance the load as well as the correct tire pressure.

My Scorpion had the big bed in the back and with my 700 pound Kawasaki in the back, I weighed in at 15,480 on the rear axle and the rating for it was only 14,500. I was over weight by more than my bike! Your 2012 model does have a higher rated rear but you need to know where you're at.

I've made a bunch of custom items for mine over the years including fold down wall mounted tables, a 42" flat screen mount, ramp support brackets and cables to make it into a deck, roll down screen for the garage and folding steps (mine didn't have a side door). The guys over on the I love me Outlaw thread have come up with a bunch of other ideas as well.

Good luck with it. We'll have to caravan out to PA some weekend and take the bikes out for a ride and then burn some steaks on the fire pit.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:41 AM   #8

We built a stacker, to stack to full size ATVs. It leaves us room for our W/D, tool chest, chest freezer and srill has walkway to side door and bedroom door. The stacker also converts to two full size beds.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:59 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If there is any way...I would love to see a picture of how those two big toys fit in the back of your Outlaw.

Continued luck and happy travels!
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:18 PM   #10

I am thinking of getting the wife a can-am trike also and would love to see a pic of your bikes in the outlaw. Would be putting the can-am and a roadstar in one if possible.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:29 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
You'll need to check the length. I'm not sure it will fit in an 11 foot garage, maybe the 12 foot models
Old 06-19-2013, 05:00 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My full dresser rides in the left side (I load & secure it first} and my Cricket golf cart rides on the right giving me space down the middle to move through.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rRqwUIFdip2SBjTzhIuV1gF9iejf40NarD3y0qW1CUU=.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	40941  
Old 06-20-2013, 06:16 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
There's plenty of room but I know a HD trike won't fit in my 11' model