Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2017, 11:16 AM   #1

Question Thoughts for washer/dryer location and moving switches

Ok so we have a hiccup with our new TH. We planned on getting a combo wash/dry ventless/vented but heard bad things, takes lots of water, 3 hours to run 1 load, and the load is maybe 2 pants or something insane.

So we looked at stackables. but our issue is we dont have the room in the garage for the dyer to stack because of (see pic) the switches.

So my thoughts are this and I "think " I can move these without issue, is to move the switches and thermostat above the door (see pic), I have two options for the switches thou, either mount above the door as well or mount to the ceiling next to the DVD/radio.

Moving these will free up the wall vertically so I can stack a dryer. Does anyone see an issue with moving either of these above the door or onto the ceiling?

Also I can't vent my dyer UP (loft is above) or out the side (bathroom one one side, garage door on the other), So i can only vent down...does anyone see an issue with that? Do they make a spring loaded vent trap that will close when not in use upside down? Do I just leave the vent open and put some wire mesh to stop the bugs?

This will be our full time rig soon, so I need to figure out a solutions before then.

Thoughts anyone?

TIA
r1rider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2017, 11:26 AM   #2

Above the door might be a problem as there should be a header (wood or AL) above the door. Don't want to cut into that. Mount switches on other side of wall?? Or, make a switch enclosure and mount same to side of washer/dryer.

As for the vent, our home dryer vents down (well, more horizontally) so I don't think the vent should be an issue. Put a piece of hardware cloth in the vent to keep bugs out, but don't forget to clean it, or you can start a fire from the lint build up!
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 11:59 AM   #3

Combo units might have smallish capacities and take time, but.... load once and go play. Come back to clean dry clothes, take them out, fold, put away, and start another load. Seperates means your going to have to come back, handle wet clothes. Your choice. Personally I have never had a problem. Start a load in the morning, go, come back at noon put another load in, eat lunch and go again.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:44 PM   #4

hmmm what model do you have? do you find it takes alot of water to dry?
Old 04-27-2017, 08:54 PM   #5

I have the vented model so the water usage is minimal. We run all our clothes through it. Works great. Splendid extra capacity model.
edrayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 10:44 PM   #6

Thanks, what tips do you have to keep the clothes wrinkle free? thats one of the biggest downfalls of the combo that i'm reading.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:12 AM   #7

We have almost 20 years of experience with combo units (Splendide). Small loads and take 'em out quick when the dry cycle ends. No way around the wrinkles (my wife hasn't owned an iron in 40 years!)
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 10:11 PM   #8

No matter what you do, the dryer most likely will not be flush with the wall - at least some space for air intake, etc. That would leave at least some access for reaching the switch.

I wonder if it would work to just move the switches just straight horizontally to the right to the very edge of that wall? They might be slightly blocked by the dryer but perhaps not too much.

Perhaps consider if it makes sense to rotate the switch set 90 degrees?

Maybe the thermostat can be located on the bathroom side of that wall?

The thermostat vertical location will affect how comfortable you are in the RV. If it is at the ceiling, it will tend to measure the warm air that has risen as the "room temperature", which is probably ok in the summer buy might not be in the winter.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1rider01 View Post
Thanks, what tips do you have to keep the clothes wrinkle free? thats one of the biggest downfalls of the combo that i'm reading.
We tend to take our clothes out of the washer and hang them up to reduce wrinkling.

If you full time in an RV, it really is best to also have a dehumidifier, so perhaps that will help with drying hung up shirts and pants. Not sure if it is adequate to dry the rest or not.

If I have clothes that I want to be wrinkle free, I send them out to a dry cleaner.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:36 PM   #10

Thanks for the info.

As for the switches, I think we are leaning towards the combo unit, just because if we do a stackable they stick out futher. The garage is not only my desk/work area, but also has to haul our toys when we travel. So the stacks tend to eat up about 3-4 more inches into the garage.

Plus thinking with the combo, might get one of those rolling dollies for it, so we can move it around when its time to travel and make the puzzle pieces fit together.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:55 PM   #11

i heard a few of the combo/ventless models have got much much better in the last few years. Might want to research that.
ROLLNSMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, switch