Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2019, 07:17 AM   #1

Time For New Tires???

When do you need new tires for a Travel trailer Toy Hauler? Yes....I know when they blow out, but how about before that mess. Being told that they need to be replaced every (3) three years whether or not they are worn. 2017 Keystone Carbon 31 that I am original owner with original tires and have traveled just under 10,000miles. Trailer King 235/80/16E If this is a good rule of thumb, looking for any feed back on a good set of replacements - Shop is trying to push me towards an LT tire or a "G" range trailer tire.
GoingOnATrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2019, 08:29 AM   #2

Mine always age out well before I wear them out. I replace every 6 years or if I see any signs of deterioration.
I just replaced a 6 year old set of Marathons with XPS Rib's.
Old 09-15-2019, 08:47 AM   #3

95% of TTs will never be towed enough to wear out the tread. Five or six years is generally the accepted life for a trailer tire regardless of how good it still looks.
steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 03:46 PM   #4
Community Moderator

What date was the tires manufacture? The tires on the Road Warrior have a date of 2417. Which is the 24th week of 2017. This is on the sidewall of the tire. I usually go around 6 years if the tread is good or no damage to the tire.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 09:46 AM   #5

Looks like tires are manufactured 2016. Spoke with very reputable shop here in NC - Black Tire and they recommended tires after up coming trip based on miles and weight carrying. They are recommending the GoodYear Endurance Load Range E
GoingOnATrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 03:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingOnATrip View Post
Looks like tires are manufactured 2016. Spoke with very reputable shop here in NC - Black Tire and they recommended tires after up coming trip based on miles and weight carrying. They are recommending the GoodYear Endurance Load Range E
Good choice. The Endurance ST tires have sidewall scuff guard protection and nylon overlays. Should be a very durable tire for you with more than enough load capacity reserves at 80 PSI.

As the ST tire industry has progressed so has the quality of tires. A lot of the recommended replacement intervals took into account the degree of tire degrading. With the quality improvements and higher speed restrictions, I'd recommend using them until the GY warranty time limit is used-up, or you wear them out.
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 08:28 PM   #7

I ran Sailun S637 trailer tires in 16" LR G tires on our 5er, not one problem while we owned the 5er.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 10:41 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Quote:
We run Sailun S637. When I have to replace all 6 it will be costly, I am already starting a tire fund for the day it comes.

I run these at 105 PSI, and getting close to heading south and west (to Arizona) for the winter.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 07:29 AM   #9

I have just replaced all my tires on my 06 Salem LE toy hauler. They were all new in 2013, and think I have a bent axle as 1 tire wore out on the inside to the cords. I replaced that 1 in March, and had the one next to it blow and replaced it a month later. Went and replaced the other 3 (including the spare) as they were just over 6 years old. Tire life is affected by age, how much it sits in one spot (lack of use), air pressure, and the speed of which it is towed. MOST trailer tires are rated for 65 mph MAX! Given a 10% safty margin (add 6.5 to 65 and round up to 72) - 72 is the fastest you should tow for extended time. Passing and resuming 72 max is my standard operating procedure. Check out the speed rating of your tires and surpassing that by more than 10% will tear them apart! Motorcycle trailer back in 2013 going to Sturgis from Florida had no problems until the guy who I was traveling with decided to run above 80 on the way back. Caught it separating just before it blew.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 10:58 PM   #10

NFlcamper, check both axle alignment, that end with worn tire may be scooted back some. That happened with our last 5er, axle U bolts loosened up a bit and allowed rear axle to scoot back.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 12:58 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadDogPSD View Post
Mine always age out well before I wear them out. I replace every 6 years or if I see any signs of deterioration.
I just replaced a 6 year old set of Marathons with XPS Rib's.
I'm just going to print some facts here that maybe you were or were not aware of.

Boldly I will say there are no XPS Rib's that will even come close to qualifying as replacements for ST235/80R16 LRE Marathon trailer tires. Many consumers associate the very robust durability of the XPS Rib as a super tire. The strength of a tire is what is needed to carry the load. The Marathon, 3420# - the XPS Rib 3042#. To just round those totals we see that with a four tire replacement you gave-up a total of 1200# of load capacity. Can you afford that with your 12,000# GVWR trailer?

Surely a retailer would not have installed those tires with the trailer present. They would have had to violate the tire industry stand that says to NEVER use replacement tires having less load carrying capacity than the vehicle's original equipment tires. A Michelin dealer would call it a gross misapplication of the XPS Rib tires.
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 12:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve52 View Post
95% of TTs will never be towed enough to wear out the tread. Five or six years is generally the accepted life for a trailer tire regardless of how good it still looks.
I'm on my 3rd set of tires on my 2016 TH. I put a lot of miles on it. I get around 20,000 miles off a set of tires.
flashman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 06:20 PM   #13

Quote:
When do you need new tires for a Travel trailer Toy Hauler? Yes....I know when they blow out, but how about before that mess. Being told that they need to be replaced every (3) three years whether or not they are worn. 2017 Keystone Carbon 31 that I am original owner with original tires and have traveled just under 10,000miles. Trailer King 235/80/16E If this is a good rule of thumb, looking for any feed back on a good set of replacements - Shop is trying to push me towards an LT tire or a "G" range trailer tire.
Being you have the original China bombs on your fiver you should replace them asap . I replaced the trailer kings at 10 k miles I'm right 45 k on my 235 85/16 saline 14 ply with 100 psi.
Roadglide54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 10:36 AM   #14

After about 4 years, the Goodyear Marathon tires on my parents camper started popping. Almost every trip out, there would be a blow-out. Even the spare that had never been used until this point and was kept out of the sun with a cover, popped that year. So for me...4 years and I start watching them really close.
Bob_E. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires