Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-27-2015, 08:40 AM   #15

Of the above choices, I'd go with Carlisle. I like the speed rating and America's Tire will back them.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2015, 08:43 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetogo View Post
Of the above choices, I'd go with Carlisle. I like the speed rating and America's Tire will back them.
I think I'm going to go with those or the hartlands, they have same load and speed rating, and over the next 2 years or so, upgrade to the 16" weekend warrior rims, and change to a 16" LT after that. I just need her road ready by Feb. 550mile round trip.

Old 10-27-2015, 09:17 AM   #17

I see the Hartlands have a better price point, are E rated and carry the N speed rating.

Let us know how it goes.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:20 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetogo View Post
I see the Hartlands have a better price point, are E rated and carry the N speed rating.

Let us know how it goes.
The Hartland are in stock, the Carlisle have to be ordered. Only reason I was thinking them. And coming into winter months work slows down for us.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:12 PM   #19

Are you replacing the tires because of the age?
There is no magic time period. A good visual inspection is necessary.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:54 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanguy View Post
Are you replacing the tires because of the age?
There is no magic time period. A good visual inspection is necessary.
The tires are in great shape. They were always covered by previous owner. Just was recommended that I change them out before my trip to AZ.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:39 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroTekRob View Post
Thanks Titan,

My local America's Tire only have.
Attachment 110461

Available and the hartland only one in stock, I'd have to have them order the other 2.
I see on your ref that Heartland & Carlisle both have upped their speed ratings for those tires to 87 MPH. It's going to happen across the board soon because all imports will have to identify the speed rating on the tire's sidewall or pay much higher tariff taxes.

Any tires you use are probably going to age out pretty fast because of lack of use and storage conditions. The ST tires are going to be economically the best purchase. IMO the best ones in LRE will be the ones with the best warranty package.
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 11:47 AM   #22

Anyone used AT tires on their trailer? Load rating isn't listed, but I was searching my 225/75R15 tires and found these http://m.fcacmobile.com/tires/detail...4/both/bysize/
Firestone Destination AT, in that size at $114.
Old 10-29-2015, 05:53 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroTekRob View Post
Anyone used AT tires on their trailer? Load rating isn't listed, but I was searching my 225/75R15 tires and found these Tires, Auto Repair & Vehicle Maintenance | Firestone Complete Auto Care
Firestone Destination AT, in that size at $114.

This Limited Warranty only applies to the original purchaser,
and is valid if all of the following apply:
The tire was purchased after May 1, 2014.
The tire is a size and speed rating equivalent to or greater than that specified by the vehicle manufacturer.

Page 32 in the reference below.

http://www.firestonetire.com/content...May_1_2014.pdf
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 06:07 AM   #24

The Firestone AT you are looking at is a "P" passenger tire. Don't do it.
Old 10-30-2015, 06:11 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanguy View Post
The Firestone AT you are looking at is a "P" passenger tire. Don't do it.
Just wanted to check, it was listed on another site as a LT-AT tire. Right now, I'm considering going with the Hartland ST as they are readily available, or the Maxxis, if I can find someone that can get them. I might just go with the ST, and over the next year or 2, upgrade to the 16" WW rims and 16" LTs, as they seem to be easier found.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:11 PM   #26

I used to be a goodyear fan, but after a bunch of tire shopping I upgraded my triple axle toyhauler from the (oe 10 year old) 225/75/15E to supposedly better 235/80/16 goodyear marathon for a better load rating (and good luck with the 16" variety on race car trailers in the past) and have already had 4 tires have to be replaced due to broken belts. That is in one year, 5000 miles. Not a happy camper. I would have rather gone with a michelin or goodyear G rated 235/85/16, but I just didn't have quite enough axle spacing to pull it off since it had smaller 15" on it from the factory.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:59 AM   #27

Thanks everyone. I think I'll grab the cheaper Hartlands (since they are rated the same as the Carlisle), to make the trips over the next 6 months that I need to, and work on the 16" WW wheel upgrade over summer. Going into winter months, with the holidays and working construction, makes it hard to pull that upgrade off by February, plus the TV needs new tires as well, that's 12 tires if I replace spares as well, which I have to on the TV,as I'm going from 33"s to 35"s.
Old 11-13-2015, 08:46 AM   #28

There are differences in the driving requirements between the tires on your trailer and those on the car or light truck you use to tow it. Therefore, there are distinct differences between the way trailer tires and tow vehicle tires are engineered.
Your tow vehicle is a leader, which means traction is a key focus in the design of its tires. Traction allows your tow vehicle to accelerate down the road, turn around the corner and brake to a stop. Another important consideration is tow vehicle tires are designed for ride comfort, which is achieved in part by allowing their sidewalls to flex.
Your trailer is a follower, which often makes tire sidewall flexing a negative. Sidewall flexing on trailers, especially those with a high center of gravity (enclosed/travel trailers) or that carry heavy loads, is a primary cause of trailer sway. Typical passenger radial tires with flexible sidewalls can accentuate trailer sway problems. The stiffer sidewalls and higher operating pressures common with Special Trailer (ST) designated tires help reduce trailer sway.
Trailers will be more stable and pull better on tires designed specifically for trailer use. Since Special Trailer (ST) tires are constructed with heavier duty materials, they are tougher than typical passenger vehicle tires. This is a plus because trailer suspension systems are generally stiffer and less sophisticated than automotive suspension systems.
Some people may have luck using LT tires but your safer staying with trailer tires. And you can't judge tires by outward appearance, I had 4 blowouts in 3 days with tires that looked like new on the outside but when we dismounted them and looked inside you couls see where the steel core was rusted and coming apart. That is the reason for the 5 year rule of thumb and that is from the manufactered date which is stamped on tire not the purchase date. Some dealers may have a tire that has been on the shelf for over a year. So check dates.