Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2006, 12:30 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ok, guy's, Sean wants activity and I need assurances. I've IM'd Lincster and got his opinion (thks Linc) since he has done this but I would like to know if anyone else has done the same thing before I run out and spend megabucks and find I have a problem since I have to order the wheels. The 64M dollar question is:

1. Has anyone with a tri-axle WW changed their wheels and tires to the Eagle Alloy 7766 16/6 wheel with the 225/75/16 tires,(WITHOUT LIFTING)?

2. If yes, have you loaded the trailer up close to capacity or at least somewhat close.

3. DID THE TIRES RUB?

I would appreciate your comments. My 15" Generals are 5 yrs old and have 15/20k on them with lots of 75 mph time on the interstates, TIME TO CHANGE! God, how I hate change.

PS..don't tell my employer that I hate change! You know the old story, change is good whether its needed or not, without change nothing improves
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2006, 12:30 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ok, guy's, Sean wants activity and I need assurances. I've IM'd Lincster and got his opinion (thks Linc) since he has done this but I would like to know if anyone else has done the same thing before I run out and spend megabucks and find I have a problem since I have to order the wheels. The 64M dollar question is:

1. Has anyone with a tri-axle WW changed their wheels and tires to the Eagle Alloy 7766 16/6 wheel with the 225/75/16 tires,(WITHOUT LIFTING)?

2. If yes, have you loaded the trailer up close to capacity or at least somewhat close.

3. DID THE TIRES RUB?

I would appreciate your comments. My 15" Generals are 5 yrs old and have 15/20k on them with lots of 75 mph time on the interstates, TIME TO CHANGE! God, how I hate change.

PS..don't tell my employer that I hate change! You know the old story, change is good whether its needed or not, without change nothing improves
Old 02-14-2006, 01:34 PM   #3

tehe tehe...and who do you work for?!

I'm getting real close to getting this done also (bonuses come out 1st part of next month). I've also talked to our resident tire&rim buddy/WeightPolice Chief ( Linc!) and am convinced by him this is the way to go. But like you, Tom, I really don't want to raise the coach. I'm going to try the 225/75R16's Michelin XPS Ribs, and the Eagle 0550-7766 rims. I figure if they rubbed a little bit, it would only be when I was navigating during slow speeds. If it's really bad, then I can always have the additional 2x2 rail put in.

The Eagles 0550-7766 is what I've heard WW uses (or used) when they provided the 16" option. And there shouldn't be any problem with them- the offset is supposed to be perfect. And all you have to do is a simple search on Michelin XPS on ANY RV forum to find that they are the outspoken choice for any RV.

So who's gonna be first there, Tommy Boy? You? Me? Last one with wheels & tires is a...well...err...cheapskate!

Sean
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 02:08 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Well see, that's the deal, we don't know for sure. AAhh! You can go down the street and have the guys at WW put the rail in. Me, duh, thats a problem. Maybe you go get the wheels and tires and be the Guinea pig, ya, I like that!
And I was thinking about going with the BFG LT E rated commercial tires which I'm running on my truck, and almost a hundred bucks cheaper than the ribs. I think since YOU are the MOD you need to go get this done and let us know how it turns out. Jees, I'm good!

"So who's gonna be first there, Tommy Boy? You? Me? Last one with wheels & tires is a...well...err...cheapskate! "

Don't mind me, I'll follow!
Old 02-14-2006, 04:34 PM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Don't mind me, I'll follow </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chicken!

Actuallly, I think you should be fine with the BFG's...I've got those on my King Ranch, and I loe 'em- everyone else with something else seems to hate their tires and migrate to the BFG's.

So you've volunteered me to be the guinea pig, ey? OOOOOOOO...KKKKKKKK...but it'll cost ya!

Sean
Old 02-14-2006, 04:55 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">So you've volunteered me to be the guinea pig, ey? OOOOOOOO...KKKKKKKK...but it'll cost ya! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Bring it on!!!!
Old 09-24-2006, 10:25 AM   #7

OK...we're getting real close to getting our new rims and tires...definitely going with the Eagle 0550-7766's, and definitely with Michelin XPS Ribs, but I've got one question: the XPS size that everyone says they've gone with on their WW is the LT225/75R16E's, but in looking at these Specs, you can see that the LT235/85R16E's carry alot more load...to the tune of 2172#'s!!! I just don't know if that size would fit on the SLC (I am having WW add the 2x4 spacer onto the suspension on this visit to the service center).

Any ideas guys?!

Thanks!

Sean
Old 09-24-2006, 12:56 PM   #8

Sean,

I'm running the Eagle 0550-7766's and LT235/85R16E Michelin XPS Ribs on my WW. I had the 2" sub-frame replaced with a 4". This wheel/tire combo fits perfectly with no rubbing whether the TH is empty or fully loaded.

I don't know if the frames are appreciably different between the SLC and the FSC as to make a difference.

Tom, Any competent welding shop that's familiar with trailers should have no problem replacing the sub-frames.

Wes
high desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 06:38 PM   #9

Hey Sean,
If you are having the spacer added, you can run the 235 tires no problem.
I would have done this initially, but my first trailer ran at the stock height and those tires would have been too tall
If I ever have to replace these tires, I will go with the 235. Even the 245 has the same load rating as the 235, but it is almost 2" shorter.
Good call on making this switch, it will give you piece of mind when towing.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:57 PM   #10

Thanks Linc! Im definitely having the 2x4 spacer done this next week. I just can't see making this change and NOT going that route, but of course, wasn't sure if it would fit without some issues.

And Wes: I can't think of why they would be different...if you could do we a favor and measure from the top of the inside wheel well to the bottom of the well skirt...maybe that'll gggive us a clue if they're the same. (But don't hold your breath waiting for me to get back with my measurement...SLC's at the service center and I'll be in Phoenix all next week).

Thanks again, everyone!

Sean
Old 09-25-2006, 08:46 AM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vette Racer:

3. DID THE TIRES RUB?

PS..don't tell my employer that I hate change! You know the old story, change is good whether its needed or not, without change nothing improves </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I run the same exact setup as you are contemplating, with no probs. whatsoever. I have loaded my trailer to 16660# with no rubbing at all, and I drag this beast into some pretty rough areas. My 04' SLC is totally stock, no spacers or axle flip. Best $2000 I have spent; great peace-of-mind. C-Ya!!

2004 WW 3705 SLC FW w/ALL the goodies!! Hauling out back:
MCR500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 07:10 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
MCR500, I appreciate your response and all the fine reports. Now I know what I need to do if I have to change to the 16" tires and wheels. Thanks to Linc also! While I now have to live with the 15" tires I know that Sean and others have to make a change and this should help them. Thanks! Go Sean, Go. About time to put that jeep in and go to Moab.!!!!!???
Old 09-26-2006, 07:36 PM   #13

Dittos on Tommy's kudos to you, MCR!! Are you running the 225's or the 235's?

I spoke to Jason @ WW today, and he states the -10 offset on the 0550-7766's isn't good...he says it should NOT have an offset...I'm emailing him with all the links to websites that tout the 0550-7766's. Linc: Did you do any homework on the 235's and these rims?

BTW...Rick (the Service Writer) called me this morning and was telling me it's gonna take another 1 1/2 hours of work above what they quoted me because of my onboard air compressor (R&R)....I was going to just say "screw it- I'll do it", but they already had the SLC up in the air with the tires off of it before they noticed the AC. Had to just say..."ah shucks...just do it". And they tell me all the other items on the "To Do" list are completed.

Good news is it appears I will heading home tomorrow from Phoenix...I plan on dropping by Thursday or Friday to take a sneek peek at what they've done...Eric's BBQ is just next week!!
Old 09-26-2006, 07:48 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Hey man, bottom line is that you have to do what you have to do to get it done, so get it done! What ever you have to do to get where you can haul that jeep!