Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-06-2005, 08:05 PM   #1

First A familure shot. Sewer shorten mod Done!

Water tank brace mod Done!

And now the topic for discussion. The rear water tank vent is right in the left wheel well. I thinking when driving through rain, mud, sand, what every that this is a great way to get gunk in your rear water tank. I'm thinking of a check valve and some kind of filter that will let air and water (Overfill overflow) out but not let gunk in. What do you guys think?

Second item to disscuss. I can put a gate valve in between the two water tanks where the 2" drain gate valve is and seperate the two tanks. What i'm after is to just fill the rear one (near the axle less pin weight and fill the front tank closer to destination or for short trips just use the rear). Problem is the outtake and fill is in the front tank so you eather fill both tanks and close the gate then drain the front,(waste of water)(fill just the rear keeps the water from sloshing while driving) then pull the gate and let the 75 gal equal out in both tanks to use. So I was thinking if I put a fitting like the city water inlet into the mix I could close the gate valve between the tanks and fill the rear basicly from the city water hose conection on the 2" drain pipe just filling the rear from the bottom up. Hope this makes sence. Any thoughts?

Griz

06 LE 3505
Grizwald2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2005, 08:05 PM   #2

First A familure shot. Sewer shorten mod Done!

Water tank brace mod Done!

And now the topic for discussion. The rear water tank vent is right in the left wheel well. I thinking when driving through rain, mud, sand, what every that this is a great way to get gunk in your rear water tank. I'm thinking of a check valve and some kind of filter that will let air and water (Overfill overflow) out but not let gunk in. What do you guys think?

Second item to disscuss. I can put a gate valve in between the two water tanks where the 2" drain gate valve is and seperate the two tanks. What i'm after is to just fill the rear one (near the axle less pin weight and fill the front tank closer to destination or for short trips just use the rear). Problem is the outtake and fill is in the front tank so you eather fill both tanks and close the gate then drain the front,(waste of water)(fill just the rear keeps the water from sloshing while driving) then pull the gate and let the 75 gal equal out in both tanks to use. So I was thinking if I put a fitting like the city water inlet into the mix I could close the gate valve between the tanks and fill the rear basicly from the city water hose conection on the 2" drain pipe just filling the rear from the bottom up. Hope this makes sence. Any thoughts?

Griz

06 LE 3505
Old 08-06-2005, 08:17 PM   #3

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Grizwald2:
And now the topic for discussion. The rear water tank vent is right in the left wheel well. I thinking when driving through rain, mud, sand, what every that this is a great way to get gunk in your rear water tank. I'm thinking of a check valve and some kind of filter that will let air and water (Overfill overflow) out but not let gunk in. What do you guys think? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think mine looks like that..... I'll have to check.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Second item to disscuss. I can put a gate valve in between the two water tanks where the 2" drain gate valve is and seperate the two tanks. What i'm after is to just fill the rear one (near the axle less pin weight and fill the front tank closer to destination or for short trips just use the rear). Problem is the outtake and fill is in the front tank so you eather fill both tanks and close the gate then drain the front,(waste of water)(fill just the rear keeps the water from sloshing while driving) then pull the gate and let the 75 gal equal out in both tanks to use. So I was thinking if I put a fitting like the city water inlet into the mix I could close the gate valve between the tanks and fill the rear basicly from the city water hose conection on the 2" drain pipe just filling the rear from the bottom up. Hope this makes sence. Any thoughts? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes... I think it sounds like a great mod, however all the monitors are in the front tank and
you wouldn't know how much water you have on board
Old 08-06-2005, 08:59 PM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Grizwald2:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had to put my drink down and go take a look

Yep.... mine is the same set up as your's. If you
can put one more 90 degree turn downward on this
vent, I think that would really rule out catching
any crud.
Old 08-06-2005, 09:13 PM   #5

56 I'm back I had to go get my drink. Elbow sounds good but in the rain, I mean like can't see around the semi in front of you rain It might force tire spray up in there? I'm I over concerned or do I just like tinkering on the LE?

I know all the monitors and the water pump pick up is in the front tank therefor you will always have to pull the gate valve when you get to destination. 75 Gal should read 1/2 right when the tanks equalize. The point is to hall the rear tank full (No Sloshing and weight closest to the axle for short trips or filling the front tank closer to destination. Follow me?

Griz

06 LE 3505
Old 08-06-2005, 09:21 PM   #6

QUOTE] [/QUOTE]
56 I'm back I had to go get my drink. Elbow sounds good but in the rain, I mean like can't see around the semi in front of you rain It might force tire spray up in there? I'm I over concerned or do I just like tinkering on the LE?<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do two 90's back to the frame. Or put a small oil filter on the end. Jeeze, anything to spend money or time.

Rod

WW LE3505
melon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 09:29 PM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">And now the topic for discussion. The rear water tank vent is right in the left wheel well. I thinking when driving through rain, mud, sand, what every that this is a great way to get gunk in your rear water tank. I'm thinking of a check valve and some kind of filter that will let air and water (Overfill overflow) out but not let gunk in. What do you guys think? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Griz:
Actually, I think all you need to do is get some type of really porous non-metal 'netting' (for lack of a better term) and stuff it in the hose. 90-ing down like Howie suggested would be even better..

As far as the tank valve, I'm not quite sure how you'd do that, unless you changed the feed tube from the outside thingy to the other tank first. (Boy...my vocabulary is very challenged tonight!).

Sean
Old 08-06-2005, 09:32 PM   #8

Yep that's what i'm gonna do. I just wanted to let you all know it was there incase you wanted to change yours also

Don

06 LE 3505
Old 08-08-2005, 05:41 PM   #9

Rod and FabDeb please respond. I'm thinking about my water tank mod and remember your holding tank flusher. I think it would work great to fill the rear water tank after I seperate the two tanks with another gate valve on the 2" drain. That way I can fill the rear tank only. Where did you buy the parts Rod?

Don

06 LE 3505
Old 08-08-2005, 08:19 PM   #10

WOW I just had another Idea with your holding tank fittings I can tee the water pump to both tanks and put a valve between them. When this mod is done you can fill the rear tank only and draw from it, fill the front tank only and draw from it or fill both. Rod Where did you get those nifty tank fittings?

Don

06 LE 3505
Old 08-08-2005, 08:54 PM   #11

Griz

Hold on, we got some steaks on the new BBQ.
Alright, here is the deal. The spin on fitting that attach right to the tank (bilk head fittings) I had to get from my plastic tank guy at work. As well, the female hose bid fitting I got off a pressure washer at work, so you cant get them at Home Depot. I'll look around my shop I see if I have any more. PM me with an address and I'll send them to you. The rest (hoses, fittings, hose clamps) all at HD.

Rod

WW LE3505
melon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 08:57 PM   #12

Thanks Rod Hope you didn't burn those steaks

06 LE 3505