Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:59 AM   #1
Toy Hauler cooling/heating and Q's

My family and I are considering a toy hauler for 3 reasons:
1. A place to store our kayaks, boards, gear, and dogs.
2. We love the additional couches, table, and bed size for the kids (a teen room).
3. It appears that TH's are better made than TT's.

Here are my questions:
1. Does the garage area (when separated by a sliding door) heat and cool well enough to be used as a living space for the kids?
2. Are TH's structurally better built than TT's? (ie... axles, walls, framing..ect.)
3. Are there brands or types of builds to avoid? We are considering the Vengance Super Sport by Forest River.

Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks.

acanania is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2016, 02:04 PM   #2
2015 Fuzion 345 chrome here. 5 and 9 year old boys use the garage as their place when not hauling the rzr. It works great as it gives them their own room and can shut the door and they watch movie at night etc and doesn't interfere with us in the living room. We have 2 15k ac's...the garage is ducted for heat but the garage will get hotter in the summer and cooler in the winter than the living room or bedroom. Due to lack of insulation underneath imo. You can adjust the ac vents to push more in the garage vs the rest of the coach. It does a good job in all weather conditions except direct sun, 95 degree temps and no shade (we were in Galveston, tx a couple weeks ago)....right near the beach....temps got as high at 81-82 in the garage, even with ac blasting all day...soon as sun went down it recovered quickly, but they r not insulated well enough for those extreme temps and no shade imo

gtsum2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 02:06 PM   #3
Also, all the th brands are pretty much made the same imo. I have 11000 miles on it the last 15 months and honestly don't think they r built for that kind of traveling...starting to see some issues with all the miles on it...if you are going to travel a lot with it, I would recommend an air ride hitch or pinbox (if I was keeping mine I would get a Hensley ts3 hitch). Some of the roads really out a pounding on the th frame imo
gtsum2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 08:44 PM   #4
I wouldn't say toy haulers are made in better the other campers. Unless it is one of the higher end units. Our garage is very usable as long as you don't leave the sliding door closed. Most of the time in the winter we have a space heater running in there and in the summer we have a fan blowing extra blowing into the room. The vents into the garage aren't the best.
the.wilsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 11:34 AM   #5
Thanks for the replies! That information really helps. It sounds like the garage area is usable, but does have some setbacks depending on the scenario. That is def. not enough to deter me.
A little conscerned about mileage and wear. From my research it seems that rv quality is a real issue regardless of make, brand, or price. It really seems to be a challenge.
Old 07-16-2016, 02:13 PM   #6
Look at the DRV Fullhouse line. Better built with heavier frame, and suspension.

You haven't said what your tow vehicle is. You really need a dually for what your planning on pulling. Also, check the garage weight rating. Some garage areas are rated for the weight they can carry.
Weight added behind the last axle removes weight from the kingpin. Lose too much weight from the Kingpin (hitch weight) and the trailer can become squirrelly /sway issues/ not safe.
Most 5th wheels need 18% or more, weight on the pin. Many are in the 20% range. We are 24% on the pin.
Alie & Jim 2009 CarriLite Max1
Volvo Dually Pickup
My keyboard is faster than yours
rollondown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 07:17 AM   #7
Tow vehicle is a 2011 Ford F350 Pwer Stroke SRW. I don't have any toys other that the Kayaks and Boards. The bulk of my weight will be the trailer. I will check out the DVR line, thanks.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:55 PM   #8
Recommend checking out the Momentum line by Grand Design.

Gigattime is online now   Reply With Quote

cooling, heat, heating