Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2008, 02:57 PM   #1

Hey guys...

I'm new here. The site is very informative.

I'm torn between 2 differebt toy haulers, mainly because of the weight.

1st choice- 2007 Coachman Adrenaline 40ft 13,800 lbs
2nd choice- 2007 KZ Sportsman Sportster 32ft 9,000 lbs

Price is about the same, but the Coachman is very nice and big.

I have a 2002 F250,TD,CC,4X2,Full Exhaust,SCT Flash
Agent Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2008, 02:57 PM   #2

Hey guys...

I'm new here. The site is very informative.

I'm torn between 2 differebt toy haulers, mainly because of the weight.

1st choice- 2007 Coachman Adrenaline 40ft 13,800 lbs
2nd choice- 2007 KZ Sportsman Sportster 32ft 9,000 lbs

Price is about the same, but the Coachman is very nice and big.

I have a 2002 F250,TD,CC,4X2,Full Exhaust,SCT Flash
Old 12-06-2008, 06:49 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Agent Orange...
Welcome to iRV2! You are correct- this forum is very informative with lots of friendly & informative members who hang out here. Of course- some of them are lucky enough to be out RVing instead of here checking the forums (Can you tell that I am envious?)

I have also put a shortcut to the "New Member Check-In" forum so others may stop in and say "Hey" also.

Good Luck picking the right Toy Hauler for you...and again - welcome to iRV2. We hope you visit & post often!

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 07:20 PM   #4
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
Howdy and welcome to Irv2.

What toy hauler? Good question, several things to really decide.

1. Is the total weight you can handle with your current truck?

2. what are you planning to put in it?

3. Is the total weight now still under your max?

4. And the real question we found the answer to the first real test of our Toy hauler was, How long will be your longest trip to a destination?

The first 3 are easy for you to answer, the 4th we learned the hard way, I have a gold wing motorcycle and we travel most times for a few days before we get to a destination. If you do that you may have to unload your toys before you can use some of your beds. To solve this our second rig has a garage so no more problem.

Welcome to Irv2 and find the rig you deserve and most important, have fun.
Old 12-07-2008, 02:03 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Agent Orange, welcome to iRV2,com. We are glad to have you join us here and we look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. I am sure you will enjoy this website and forums. You have gotten good info and more will come, so take your time in your research. Good luck and keep us posted.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 05:17 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Welcome to the forum Agent Orange, without looking up weights and such be very careful and research the 40ft'er closely as you may find the 250 will be overloaded. I pull a 38 ft WW with a 3500 and its all I want back there not to mention my pin weight runs around 3200 lbs. Good luck with your search.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 07:31 AM   #7

Thanks guys.

"Vette Racer", you're right the 40 footer is definately going to overload my truck. I should have bought a bigger truck.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:36 AM   #8

The 40 is too big for your truck. . . plain and simple.

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 07:38 AM   #9

Thank you.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:55 PM   #10

Welcome to the forum. I've sure learned a lot from the helpful and experienced people here.

Those are two pretty different toy haulers... What drew you to those?

Anyway, I started out with a 3500 single rear wheel Ram, then got a 295F Patio Hauler. I had a lot of fun with it, but getting two big 4x4 quads in it was kind of a pain. They have to be turned sideways. The 1st one wasn't too bad, but the 2nd one has to be turned when half on the ramp, and there isn't room to get good leverage and the tire lugs grab the edge of the floor.

Interior wise, after riding the group generally would end up in my rig watching movies or whatever. Folding chairs and the drop down dinette got uncomfortable after an hour or two.

Anyhow, I stepped up to a dually, and will never buy another single rear wheel. Even with just the 30' toyhauler it is notably more stable, especially on uneven, narrow mountain roads.

Last Friday I brought home a 40' Kit 394F. It has a 14' seperate garage, a big slide with sleeper sofa, recliner, and dinette, more storage and taller bedroom.

It tows pretty good, but I'm going to have to get used to how much wider the trailer tracks in turns.

I think I can get this beast into most of the places I took the 30' one, only I'll be much more comfortable when I get there, and I won't have to turn a quad sideways on the ramp (unless I take 3 machines, in which case the other 2 riders better help load).

I hit the cat scale on the way home. Totally empty and dry I was 4760 front axle, 6440 rear axle and 9,000 pounds on the trailer's 3 axles.

Add 80 gallons of water, lots of clothing and equipment, and two or three quads and this thing would massively overload the rear axle on my last truck.

Anyway, sorry about the long post, but I kind of did two toyhaulers of similar size to the ones you are looking at...
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 06:30 PM   #11

Thanks for the info.

Yea, a Dually would be better, but I will just have to get a smaller trailer for now. I think I'm gonna go with a K-Z Sportsman 33P. Any comments on this one?

Thanks Guys
Old 12-08-2008, 10:53 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
KZ builds a pretty good product. I have worked with dealerships that sold them and KZ was easy to do business with in the warranty department. Like any unit you are looking to buy, it is important that the unit has been maintained. Get on the roof and check the sealant at the seams of openings. Also look for any signs of stains on ceiling, walls and in cabinets for any water damage. If you are buying from a dealer, they should do a pre delivery inspection assuring you that all system are functional and safe. Ask for a thorough walk thru. During this, time make sure everything is working properly. If you are not sure ask the dealer to check or go into more detail as to how and why it works the way it does. Good luck and let us know if we can be of help.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 09:01 PM   #13

I was considering buying a 30' K-Z new. They seem well constructed for the money.

I ran into the Patio Hauler, though, and could pay cash for it with just a bit more than I was going to use for a down payment.

I'm glad I went used. I figured I wouldn't want anything bigger, but that changed after using it for a couple years. I would be looking at loosing my shirt if I was trying to sell a K-Z after a couple years.
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kz-rv