Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-27-2016, 03:37 PM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Still not clear. They installed recliners that do or don't recline by design and manage to throw their occupants clear? Sure you didn't get the electric bull option?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2016, 03:55 PM   #16

Ok, got the hint. I prefer my toy hauler without recliners. Anyone else have any info they'd like to share?

Old 01-28-2016, 07:59 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Make sure you have access to the fridge with the slides closed.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 08:35 PM   #18

Anyone know how much a difference carpeting the garage would do in terms of insulation?
Old 01-28-2016, 11:21 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
Make sure you have access to the fridge with the slides closed.
I've heard that before, good point.
Old 01-29-2016, 04:43 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by duallyd View Post
I've heard that before, good point.
One of those Lessons Learned the hard way.

Also, I highly recommend the patio option. That is the one thing I miss the most with the motorhome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2192.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	117718  
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 04:56 PM   #21

We have been full-timing in an Excel Wild Cargo for 5 years. When travelling, the garage holds a road king classic and a dyna low rider. When we are parked, we roll them out, and it is my office. (We both hold down real jobs, and are lucky enough to be able to telecommute). Having a rug in the garage makes a big difference in comfort. I found a nice remnant at a carpet store, and just roll it up in front of the bikes when we are moving. The carpet also cushions the floor some, since I installed e-track in the floor to hold down the bikes.
The Excel is really an all weather rig. We spent the winter in Albuquerque, and have had several mornings in the teens, but we are warm and toasty on the inside.
2Fliers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 09:02 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
One of those Lessons Learned the hard way.

Also, I highly recommend the patio option. That is the one thing I miss the most with the motorhome.
Oh the patio is a definite must have! Two would be nice, but not a must.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:05 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Fliers View Post
We have been full-timing in an Excel Wild Cargo for 5 years. When travelling, the garage holds a road king classic and a dyna low rider. When we are parked, we roll them out, and it is my office. (We both hold down real jobs, and are lucky enough to be able to telecommute). Having a rug in the garage makes a big difference in comfort. I found a nice remnant at a carpet store, and just roll it up in front of the bikes when we are moving. The carpet also cushions the floor some, since I installed e-track in the floor to hold down the bikes.
The Excel is really an all weather rig. We spent the winter in Albuquerque, and have had several mornings in the teens, but we are warm and toasty on the inside.
Right now we have a road king classic, deuce, and sportster. Selling the road king, since my wife rides now, and will only need to haul the deuce and sporty. I'll have to look into Excel toy hauler. I guess you're happy with it, since you've had it 5 yrs? Which model do u have?
Old 02-01-2016, 03:26 PM   #24

We have a 2010 Excel 39 SKM, with a sliding glass door between the living area and the garage. It really makes the living area feel larger when the tailgate is open.
2Fliers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 03:32 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
We have a KZ Sportster 41. Do not full time but used to snow bird with it. After the bike and grill were taken out the garage was used for storage. Built shelves for an extra pantry and storage. Also set up for washer dryer but did not install.

One could easily full time in the unit.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:10 PM   #26

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
After being a motor home guy for decades, I'm thinking the same transformation. Toy hauler and tow vehicle.

However, regarding any of the above rec'd THs , can any vans or large SUVs be used as tow vehicles? We need interior space for 4 large dogs.

Thanks.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:41 PM   #27

Ford Super Duty Owner
Most don't have the tow capacity for 27+ foot toy haulers.
However - we haul two big dogs. If I had 4 and no other passengers, I'd just get a truck with 4-doors and remove the rear seats... You could get 4 90 lb furballs back there...
Old 02-01-2016, 10:06 PM   #28

Forest River Owners Club
we full time in a Forest River 39 footer triple slide, the first thing we noticed about most toy haulers was the terrible location for the TV, either 90 degree's to the right or left or 45 degree's up high, none of these are good for watching movies , now lets talk AC's, these monsters need 2 AC's in the desert, now heaters, with only one furnace you will either bake in the bedroom (heat rises) and freeze in the front room all the while burning through a 7 gal tank a week in cold weather, now trucks, if your truck weighs 7000 pounds and your trailer weighs 16,000 loaded you can expect to feel some " chucking and bucking " while towing, that is the trailer pushing your truck, we tow with a 13,000 pound Freightliner Sport Chassis MDT, now with this new information I want to wish you good luck and cant wait to hear back as to what you decide on, your about to join a large group of fun loving people

2007 Forest River fifth wheel toy hauler 385 RLTS, 1999 Freightliner FL-60 with Western Hauler bed, new 3126B CAT motor, new Allison MD3060 transmission, air ride rear suspension, air ride cab, air ride seats
JEEPOHOLIC is offline   Reply With Quote