Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2016, 01:27 AM   #1

Toy Hauler for full timing?

Anyone ever see the movie, "Lost in America"?
My wife and I currently live in WA state, which I'm native to, and will soon be quitting our jobs (25 yrs for me, and 1 yr at her current job as an RN) to move back to her home state of California.

We both ride Harleys, which is why we want/need a toy hauler, and plan on full timing in it. Without giving u our life story, can I get some reviews/recommendations from 5th wheel/toy hauler owners, and which ones are the best for living in?

We've been looking, and have been to rv shows, and these things are beautiful inside. But I want quality, as well, and one that caters to full time living, as opposed to the weekender. Amenities that are prudent to a home - like environment, are a must.

Before u ask, why a 5th wheel, and not a house/condo/apartment or other, we don't want to be tied to any one area. She wants to become a traveling nurse, and we are ready to live this dream. Yes, I'll be a stay at home husband/dad (we have a 9 yr old) semi-retired, until I get bored or we land in a place we can call home.

Give me what u got, this is a huge step and I want to make this investment count. Thanks in advance!

Note: our budget is $60-70k, and not opposed to near new (used) but want 1-2 yrs old or newer.
duallyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2016, 04:28 AM   #2

I have been looking for a few years and really like the grand design. They have a few new models that are pretty nice.
Old 01-24-2016, 05:55 PM   #3

Wife and I couldn't be happier in our '14 XLR 415amp.
Paid far less than retail for a unit made in Aug 2013.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhit View Post
Wife and I couldn't be happier in our '14 XLR 415amp.
Paid far less than retail for a unit made in Aug 2013.
Those XLR Thunderbolts are beautiful! What do u pull with?
Old 01-24-2016, 11:15 PM   #5

My wife and I currently are full timing in our 3812 cyclone. There are a few thing I would change. But we are happy. If you have any questions I could answer please let me know. We have been in it for 4 months now. Full time
mfsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:10 PM   #6

We also bought the XLR Thunderbolt 415 AMP. Looked at quite a few but it seemed to have a little more storage. I see you asked about the tow vehicle. We expect we will eventually load it up so we went with the RAM 3500 DRW. There are many discussions on tow vehicles and it seems like you can't go wrong going big with tow capability.
Old 01-25-2016, 11:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractor Guy View Post
We also bought the XLR Thunderbolt 415 AMP. Looked at quite a few but it seemed to have a little more storage. I see you asked about the tow vehicle. We expect we will eventually load it up so we went with the RAM 3500 DRW. There are many discussions on tow vehicles and it seems like you can't go wrong going big with tow capability.
Thunderbolts have made there way on my short list, as of now, along with Fuzion. I have an 06 Ram 3500 long bed 4x4 dually, and love it.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:24 AM   #8

I remember that movie... loved the scene where the biker flipped him off, lol.
Your situation sounds almost exactly like the one me and my wife are in except we also have a golf cart. I will probably ditch the cart in order for both HD's to fit comfortably.

Right now our list in order of preference is...
Jayco Seismic 4112
Dutchman Voltage 3990
Heartland Cyclone 4100

Our first choice was a DRV Fullhouse due to their quality construction but after touring many units, we just can't get past their "grandma's house" interiors. But hey, that's just my opinion, others may love them. Good luck!
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 11:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Travco View Post
I remember that movie... loved the scene where the biker flipped him off, lol.
Your situation sounds almost exactly like the one me and my wife are in except we also have a golf cart. I will probably ditch the cart in order for both HD's to fit comfortably.

Right now our list in order of preference is...
Jayco Seismic 4112
Dutchman Voltage 3990
Heartland Cyclone 4100

Our first choice was a DRV Fullhouse due to their quality construction but after touring many units, we just can't get past their "grandma's house" interiors. But hey, that's just my opinion, others may love them. Good luck!
What are the differences in the Jayco Seismic and Wave? I laugh every time I watch her lose their "nest egg" the first night in Vegas.
Old 01-26-2016, 12:20 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Of those, I trust Jayco the most for customer support and warranty.
You're right about the DRV - better components there.

Have you looked at the Momentum series? They're on my "next RV" list - factory support, they'll even do non-dealer (per feedback from owners).
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 12:39 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
One thing to look at. Some manufacturers do not warranty for full-timing, especially in their toy hauler lines. They don't advertise this up front but it is written in their warranties. Buying used, this may not be important to you. Personally I would rather full-time in a TH than a conventional 5er. The garage space is more valuable to me than the extra living space. The garage is a multi use facility, a mud room, a work shop, storage, etc.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 02:39 PM   #12

Don't get a Dutchmen! We just bought a Voltage 3970 and there are safety issues known to Dutchmen and they could care less.
TravelswPick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 07:58 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Like what? Curious, as many manufacturers use the same components - frame, suspension, and generally crappy tires...
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 07:06 AM   #14

Our recliners were not intended by Dutchmen to recliner and they send occupants flying face first to the floor.
TravelswPick is offline   Reply With Quote