Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2005, 03:42 AM   #1

In a thread I posted on the "New Rig Show-Off!" forum, FATDOG wrote:
"we should probably start a RV/Hunting area at iRV2, no quads - only ATV and rod or rifle need apply. I wonder about the other people with leases there, is the trend these days towards having a toyhauler or are they tenting it or cabins?"

I would like to see such a forum. In answer to part of his question about "trend these days towards having a toyhauler" I would say no.
Many hunters buy an old travel trailer and park it on the lease. Others pull their TT or 5er and have a hunting buddy follow with a flatbed trailer full of ATVs, I have seen it many times.

When I was talking to Weekend Warrior during the manufacture of my TH I told them that they are missing a big market segment here in Texas and Oklahoma because they are not marketing to the hunter/fisherman. I would bet that many hunters have never seen a TH, I saw my first one just 4-5 years ago. I would also bet that if you asked any motorcycle dealer in this area they sell as many/if not more ATVs than Quads.

Besides the hunting aspect, being able to cary my ATV in the RV, I like the openess of the TH for general camping and fishing trips.

I would like to hear from others in this area that have toy haulers and how and where they are using them.

WW FS2300
twinbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2005, 03:42 AM   #2

In a thread I posted on the "New Rig Show-Off!" forum, FATDOG wrote:
"we should probably start a RV/Hunting area at iRV2, no quads - only ATV and rod or rifle need apply. I wonder about the other people with leases there, is the trend these days towards having a toyhauler or are they tenting it or cabins?"

I would like to see such a forum. In answer to part of his question about "trend these days towards having a toyhauler" I would say no.
Many hunters buy an old travel trailer and park it on the lease. Others pull their TT or 5er and have a hunting buddy follow with a flatbed trailer full of ATVs, I have seen it many times.

When I was talking to Weekend Warrior during the manufacture of my TH I told them that they are missing a big market segment here in Texas and Oklahoma because they are not marketing to the hunter/fisherman. I would bet that many hunters have never seen a TH, I saw my first one just 4-5 years ago. I would also bet that if you asked any motorcycle dealer in this area they sell as many/if not more ATVs than Quads.

Besides the hunting aspect, being able to cary my ATV in the RV, I like the openess of the TH for general camping and fishing trips.

I would like to hear from others in this area that have toy haulers and how and where they are using them.

WW FS2300
twinbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 10:20 AM   #3

Send a message via MSN to FatDog

its kind of funny that you say not too many people have seen the 'haulers there to be used for hunting base camps. It sounds familiar. Out here on the very western edge, people were saying that as well 8 maybe 10 years ago. Then they popped up literally everywhere.
And Clark, a ToyHauler from 10 years back, has mentioned several times that in his travels around the western U.S. that many years ago, people would walk around his 'hauler staring at it.
Bubba, you are just a trend setting guy in that neck of the woods.

Couple icefishing hut pictures for you. Although i'm sure you have dozens of pics like this hangin' in your garage.

I'll bet the guys from the NorthEast and guys from Canada or other northern parts all have spent some time in an ice hut before. I just looked at some plans for these. Good walls, bench seats, couple drawers, couple light bulbs, one had a large door to house an icerunner. And one big auger.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 05:00 PM   #4

Mike!

You didn't take a picture of the back of your rig there so we can verify it's a 'hauler! (Those pics are just making me cold just lookin' at 'em!). And do you always leave your auger sittin' in the foreground to get it the pic? Geeezz....Mike!

Looks to me it's just a TT (hardly!).

Twin: if WW was looking to the Texas and Okla markets, I'd shudder if he having to build for THAT market also...imagine being told your rig's gonna have a 8 month leadtime- I'd forget I had ordered it!

Let's just keep that our "little dirty secret", OK?

Sean
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 05:13 PM   #5

no Sean, i DID get a toyhauler, thank you.
but after Bubba got me thinking about other uses for toyhaulers with his post, you know other then sanddune riding, like with hunting and fishing base camps instead, i started looking at icefishing huts. It looks like these icefishers are very very serious people. They make their huts so that they can sit here on ICE for a couple days.
plus they got tools - this auger thing.
I just tossed an auger into the back of my trailer.

Who's with me on this ice-fishing thing??
Old 06-02-2005, 06:35 PM   #6

I'll join ya on the ice fishing thing if you throw in a 80,000 btu heater for that rig! And if it takes longer than 2 minutes to drill the hole, you're on your own! (there's areason why I live in So Cal, gotcha?!). 'Serious' must be a northern thing!

Aw....just too much fun AGAIN!

Sean
Old 06-02-2005, 08:09 PM   #7

i'm not exactly the world's expert on ice fishing
but my recollection has it that a 80,000 BTU heater sitting on top of the ice, spells trouble for the couple guys sitting there next to it
hopefully an RV ice-hut fisher can clue us in a little more before we plan our next ice trip
Old 06-03-2005, 08:31 PM   #8

Fatdog:

According to my physics lesson in life, at least heat rises, so we should be safe for , er, couple of hours? OK...may haveta have a couple of windows open. I don't think ice guys are non-achoholics (geeezz...I may be one, but I don't know how to spell 'er!), so maybe they've got some tricks we don't know about here in the south. Should be interesting what we find out, huh? I'm game.
Old 06-04-2005, 06:00 AM   #9

Hello Fat Dog and WWFan : I'm no expert on ice fishing either, but in Canada here I've fished on ice thirty+ inches thick. It would take a long time to melt that. If its cold enough to make that much ice, we aren't too worried about it melting too fast. Friends set their Ice huts out on the ice and leave them there for two months at a time. As long as you have lots of boo.. er.. coffee, you can stay a long time.

2007 GMC Duramax/Allison 6 spd SLT Crew
brad03ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 06:38 AM   #10

brad03ca!

If it's cold enough to make 30+ inches of ice, that heater would be a 'must'! Whew...that's cold!

Where have ya ice-fished up in Canook land? I've seen so many pics, and actually have been to BC (Prince George), and would love to make a Canada trip here soon with the TH...GORGEOUS country you got there! (And great peeps!).

Take care!

Sean
Old 06-04-2005, 07:16 AM   #11

Hello Sean: So much good fishing here you won't believe it. One year on Lake Simcoe, 60 miles north of Toronto, the ice was that thick. In most cases power augers are required.
I mainly fish in the summer..LOL..wonder why..EH! One of the hottest lakes in Canada (estimated fish per square acre)is Rice Lake( Bass, Walleye,perch, Crappie etc) which is only four miles from my home. River fishing in the Ganaraska River in Port Hope is one of the best spots on the entire Great Lakes shore line(Rainbow Trout, Atlantic Salmon etc). Lake Scugog in Port Perry is also excellent(thirty miles from home.
As you can see, I don't have to go far to fish.

Old 06-04-2005, 07:46 AM   #12

Brad:

Yeap...I don't know how Minnesota got the nickname for so many lakes!

I'm not much a fisherman myself...but do find some enjoyment in drownin' some worms and catchin' a buzz- fishin's just another way to accomplish that!

Sean
Old 06-04-2005, 08:10 AM   #13

I've drowned a few worms in my day as well

Old 06-05-2005, 06:23 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Hey, I went ice fishing in Minnesota ONCE. There isn't enough brace type drinks to keep up with the cold, not to mention how do you get that big ole fish up that little bitty hole.

Anyway, its more fun to run that big ole bass boat down the lake at high speed than sit on the ice watching the fire burn through the ice, course the ice melting tends to put out your fire unless its really big.

Hey, but camping is the deal with the hauler, lots of room to chase the little woman, plenty of room to carry the necessary things like drinks, ice maker, and all that, even a stereo like WWFans. They are just the perfect trailer for all seasons! Don't leave home without it!!!
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote