RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-31-2019, 08:40 AM   #1

Toy Hauler for living space

We are full time RVers with 2 kids. We are currently entertaining the idea of purchasing a toy hauler as an option for additional space for the kids, and possibly a dining area. Does anyone have any input/opinions/experience with this that could weigh in on pros/cons? We were set on a Keystone Montana 3855BR and are now looking at this instead. We do need a 4 season place, as our "home" is Wisconsin so there will be some winter time spent there.

SOlson2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2019, 09:06 AM   #2

We were in a similar consideration...one thing to look at is the insulation and HVAC of the garage end...some models differ on the garage.

Old 01-31-2019, 12:03 PM   #3

The garage part of the TH gives a lot more flexibility in space, but is generally not as nicely finished out.

The ramp can become a deck, and during warm weather give a lot of extra "living" space.

TH's are generally heavier that TT's, and generally have larger tanks also.
KM Rolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 01:11 PM   #4

There are other rigs with actual rear bunkhouse designs like the cougar 369bhs.
Old 01-31-2019, 01:15 PM   #5

Or the avalanche 378bh
Old 02-05-2019, 11:09 PM   #6

I donít know of a fifth wheel toyhauler that heats the garage very well with the gas furnace. One little vent near the floor blowing cool air.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:51 PM   #7

Hi.

We currently RV full time in a toy hauler. Ours is a Northwood Desert Fox.

We chose the TH for its big water tank, onboard generator (this is priceless), and open floor plan.

A couple of notes on a TH.. The tongue weight is very heavy, if not hauling a toy. The garage area flooring is not as well insulated as the rest of the camper, and specifically the back door (the ramp), is not well insulated.
slipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:18 PM   #8

YellowCub

I am new, my lady and I decided to try a another adventure. I've shopped RV's on and off for years and only now pulled the trigger. I was introduced to a couple of Sundowner Toy Haulers and they express quality construction. I talked to the factory three times, during construction, confirming the tongue weight on our 36' gooseneck. I was told it would be 2400 to 2500 pounds. Well, we've taken delivery of this beauty, we love the trailer, I've weighed it twice, empty. Yep, its 3100 pounds. Now they are saying thats normal, 34% tongue weight. I have a new 2500 GMC HD Duramax..
To say the least I am dissapointed, that I am maxed out and I don't have any forks and knives inside to eat with. I guess my passengers will have to ride in the garage, all the way in the back. I am trying to keep a positive attitude but I think I learned another expensive lesson.
Truck. Front Axle. 4400#
Rear Axle. 3120#. Hooked up, the truck is perfectly level.
Truck GVWR. 10000#

I am not worried about the GCVW, only the Rear axle.
Comments are welcome from some pros. How worried should I be??
Yellowcub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 04:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowcub View Post
I am new, my lady and I decided to try a another adventure. I've shopped RV's on and off for years and only now pulled the trigger. I was introduced to a couple of Sundowner Toy Haulers and they express quality construction. I talked to the factory three times, during construction, confirming the tongue weight on our 36' gooseneck. I was told it would be 2400 to 2500 pounds. Well, we've taken delivery of this beauty, we love the trailer, I've weighed it twice, empty. Yep, its 3100 pounds. Now they are saying thats normal, 34% tongue weight. I have a new 2500 GMC HD Duramax..
To say the least I am dissapointed, that I am maxed out and I don't have any forks and knives inside to eat with. I guess my passengers will have to ride in the garage, all the way in the back. I am trying to keep a positive attitude but I think I learned another expensive lesson.
Truck. Front Axle. 4400#
Rear Axle. 3120#. Hooked up, the truck is perfectly level.
Truck GVWR. 10000#

I am not worried about the GCVW, only the Rear axle.
How do you come up with 3100# pin weight when you state your weighed rear axel weight is 3120? That math says your truck only weighs 20# in the rear. Either your missing some verbiage parts of the equation.

I as well own a Sundowner toyhauler. Mine is a 42ft 2286gm @42ft o.a.l. they are pin heavy and the axels are further back..but man do they pull like it's on rails.
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 06:39 AM   #10

Wild Card, you are right. I left a little confusion.
Those are empty truck weights, then you add another 3000# of trailer weight.
I love the trailer, pulls like a dream, quality built, I just wished I did not feel maxed out on my weights. I would still recommend one but knowing what I know now, I would have them engineer it to my load carrying characteristics.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:51 PM   #11

KZ RV Club
Yellowcab You didn't give the GVWR for your 5th that's what the boys in blue will be looking at and your trucks GAWR and GCVWR. Here in Komiefornia the CHP will cite/park you which would require a legal capacity tow vehicle to move your 5ver. Not to mention your potential liability for over weight condition if involved in an accident. Even with mods to increase your trucks capacity the data decal on driver's dr doesn't change. Don't ask how I found this out as I now have a 1t drw TV regardless safety should be your 1st priority while towing. Good luck, Safe & Happy Camping.
DucBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:18 AM   #12

DucBill, thanks.
My trailer GVWR = 15200
Truck. GAWR =. 6200
GCVWR = 25300
Truck. GVWR. = 10000
Old 02-11-2019, 09:23 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Don't forget that the pin weight will be reduced when you place your toys in the garage. Our pin weight dropped by about 1000 lbs when we had two motorcycles in the back.

When the motorcycles were out the garage was used for storage, a pantry and general stuff.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:46 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowcub View Post
I'm no Pro but will give my .02 on the subject. About 90% or more of truck owners will not buy a 3500 DRW truck as a daily driver. However, most if not all will run right down to the RV dealer and buy a GN / 5'er type RV and never think twice about what they will tow it with. Than you have the RV salesman telling you no problem you can tow that.

The hard truth is most people towing GN / 5'er RV's are overloaded and think just because they added extra springs, air bags and/or bigger tires that it magically changed the GVAW on their truck. It didn't and all you have to show for the snake oil you bought is less money in your pocket.

You stated your truck weighed was Front Axle. 4400# and Rear Axle 3120# for a total truck weight of 7520# and a GVWR of 10,000# or a payload of 2,480# which is correct for a 2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Crew Cab Short Box SRW.

Forget about your pin weight you don't even have the payload to begin pulling this GN trailer assuming a pin weight of 3100#. I think your rear GVAW is 6200# so 6200 - 3120 = 3,080. Your 40# over on your GVAW and 620# over on GVWR and you haven't loaded truck or trailer. You don't have enough truck.

I just upgraded from my 15 year old 2003 Silverado 2500HD 4X4 Duramax Crew Cab short box SRW to a 2019 Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4X4 Dully. My Rear GVAW is 9375# or about 3175# more GVAW that the 2500HD and about 3000# more GVRW.

The cost difference between the 2500HD and 3500HD is only $1,200, pretty cheap considered. Yes maybe more operating cost but now you are faced with operating overloaded or taking the hit on trade-in for more truck.

Just my opinion and people can flame away at will but if anyone is entertaining towing a GN / 5'er RV you need at least a 3500 Dully.

Dennis58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, toy hauler