RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-09-2019, 03:09 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider47 View Post
Do you know what the ATC wall insulation is rated at with the “Upgraded Wall Insulation” option?
Standard is R3, foIL bubble wrap. Upgraded is R5, foam board...still has foil bubble wrap any where wiring is run. Not much you can do with 1 inch wall thickness.

Floor is sprayfoam don't know R value

Ceiling is R13.

Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2019, 03:50 PM   #30

We got our toy hauler 3 years ago. It was our first RV of any kind, actually a first impluse buy of sorts. We bought a a Puma 25FBC. I did know I wanted a simple trailer as they, like anything else, are easier to repair and less to screw up.

We used ours to haul either my road glide or gold wing. We also use it for tailgating at college football games. Sure it gets a tad small on the inside when the kids show up at the games, but for the wife and I it's perfect. I've looked at a larger one with slides, but had bad expierence with dealers.

I use a condor bike mount to haul the bike with a couple of additional tie downs. Make sure your tie down points are securely mounted. I had to reenforce mine with better bolts and red iron. The ramp is not a issue as I am tall so I have no trouble with touching the ground going up or coming down.

SWO Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:58 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Card View Post
Standard is R3, foIL bubble wrap. Upgraded is R5, foam board...still has foil bubble wrap any where wiring is run. Not much you can do with 1 inch wall thickness.

Floor is sprayfoam don't know R value

Ceiling is R13.
Thank you! ATCs 28’ front bedroom model is on the top of my list so I’m trying to research as much as I can before I’m ready to buy.
Raider47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:31 PM   #32

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I would also look at the Outdoors RV toy haulers they just brought on the market. Better than average quality.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:02 AM   #33

The RV manufacturing departments cannot perform to the expectations setup by their marketing folks.

I went to look at a DRV toyhauler on a dealers lot and was genuinely surprised DRV let that one leave the factory. The sales guy told me that since Thor bought DRV they haven’t been the same, however, an RV sales guy will tell you just about anything.

I visited The RV Factory. Thought they ran a pretty good program, units looked nice. I bought one. Sales and delivery experience was below average. Getting someone to perform warranty work was a challenge. I ended up completing work that should have been warranty after 2 years because I got tired of giving up my rig 3 and 4 months at a time and not getting the work requested completed.

The RV Factory builds with good components but they have the same workers the rest of the industry has. An employee gets pissed, he quits and is working for a,different manufacturer doing the same marginal job on Monday for someone else. It’s a crap shoot. Mine is finally a pretty good rig but it was a huge PITA getting it there. If you are a handy guy and go in knowing you are not getting what they say you are you’ll be fine.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:27 AM   #34

Thank you for the suggestions, I will look at their website. What I like about ATC is the all aluminum construction and the simplicity of features that can break so they are easy to repair or upgrade. I am willing to compromise on poor insulation and austere decor for durability and longevity, (I actually prefer the simple industrial look).
Raider47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:12 PM   #35

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Thank you for the suggestions, I will look at their website. What I like about ATC is the all aluminum construction and the simplicity of features that can break so they are easy to repair or upgrade. I am willing to compromise on poor insulation and austere decor for durability and longevity, (I actually prefer the simple industrial look).
I think the ATC has a lot going for it. A toy hauler gets more abuse than a regular trailer since it often gets taken down roads that regular trailer owners might not want to take their trailers down. The downside is the insulation seems pretty weak, especially the aluminum floor with some spray foam under it. It is a different approach to building a trailer and that is appealing to me. Keep us posted on what you think of it.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:14 AM   #36

Very interesting, as usual, it seems no one is making exactly what I envision as the best overall solution. I'm with you Off Road, I like the ATC, and often recommend them, just not the price and insulation features. Of course a fan of Outdoors RV too, but not the weight.

I wonder if:
You could start an order at Intech Trailers using one of their Lite series car haulers,
Lite Trailers | inTech All-Aluminum Bumper Pull Trailer
and have them take it over to their sister plant, IntechRV, and have them do the living space?
http://www.intechrv.com/sol.php

I really like the build quality and concepts of both products, and think with a bit of creativity, a fella could get exactly what he wanted, possibly at a decent price. (Hint: I read somewhere, the guy that started Livinlite is working for IntechRV now: Hmmm...)

Search IntechRV Facebook for structural pictures of the new Sol camper, impressive workmanship.

IntechRV Sol walkaround video
https://youtu.be/0kfkbhAHReg
Normal_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:11 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal_Dave View Post
Very interesting, as usual, it seems no one is making exactly what I envision as the best overall solution. I'm with you Off Road, I like the ATC, and often recommend them, just not the price and insulation features. Of course a fan of Outdoors RV too, but not the weight.

I wonder if:
You could start an order at Intech Trailers using one of their Lite series car haulers,
Lite Trailers | inTech All-Aluminum Bumper Pull Trailer
and have them take it over to their sister plant, IntechRV, and have them do the living space?
http://www.intechrv.com/sol.php

I really like the build quality and concepts of both products, and think with a bit of creativity, a fella could get exactly what he wanted, possibly at a decent price. (Hint: I read somewhere, the guy that started Livinlite is working for IntechRV now: Hmmm...)

Search IntechRV Facebook for structural pictures of the new Sol camper, impressive workmanship.

IntechRV Sol walkaround video
https://youtu.be/0kfkbhAHReg

Yes you can. Same with ATC. They will build you a custom of what ever your purse will allow. Sundowner, Featherlight and Logan coach as well...
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 02:14 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDiemen23 View Post
Ya know, it's hard to beat a well-kept late 90s/early2000's DP and a trailer for the bike. Old beavers, Safaris, CC's, Foretravels - well built, solid, simple compared to the stuff made now.

of course, you have to have a place to put it, and it probably will be a bit more than a new TH, and you have to find the right coach. Still....

In our case, the TH was marginal for supporting my racing needs, and made an even more marginal camper (the beds were crappy beds and even crappier couches) but compared to the amount of fiddly work I put into the DP, it was very easy to own, regardless of the quality of construction.
every rig combination has advantages and disadvantages, it just depends on what's most important to you. When we were looking, I considered a DP (we already have a 12x6 cargo trailer for the bikes and equipment), but in the end the advantage of have a truck to drive around once we're at the track was a deciding factor so we settled on a 5th wheel toy hauler, no regrets so far.
MattE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 02:44 AM   #39

Okay I keep reading this thread about the POOR quality of some toy haulers. The only reason I keep mentioning this company is because they build their toy haulers for YOU. They are not an assembly like manufacture like many of these trailers.

Take a look at their web site and Facebook page and then give them a call. I am not asking you to give them my name or anything else. I was just very impressed when I talked with them about building me the trailer I was interested in. Their prices are comparable to other trailers on the market. And as they told me when I talked with them, "If you have seen it installed in ANY type of RV we can include it in your build.

www.dunesport.com

Their website is just the start, once you have selected the size and type of trailer and added your basic options then someone will call you to discuss the rest of the package.

Here is a trailer they have for sale right now for an example of the work they do.

https://dunesport.com/used-inventory...oy-hauler.html
Wildman4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 12:59 PM   #40

Quote:
Do you know what the ATC wall insulation is rated at with the “Upgraded Wall Insulation” option?
Just went to the Phoenix dealer a couple of days ago and looked at a ATC toy hauler to see how well they are built. The standard wall insulation is about R3 and the upgraded/optional wall insulation (closed cell 1" thick) ups it to a 6.5 R3 rating and cost about $1200 on the 28' front bedroom model. Also the standard package has no insulation in the floor but there is a optional spray on insulation available that apparently does not cover the holding tanks. I did not ask how much that would cost since I would not order one with the spray on insulation, instead I would do some kind of insulation material and hold it up with Coroplast(SP) like other trailer manufactures do. If you had to do some kind of repair on the frame it would be a mess removing the spray on insulation IMO. Also don't know what the insulation rating was with the spray on insulation. They have a optional tank heater pads that make it 3 season rated.

We are looking for a toy hauler to travel around the country full time once we retire in about 3 years or so. Like the OP we have been totally disapointed in the build quality in almost all the toy haulers currently being made. Desert Fox was the only one that I would of considered and now it looks like ORV has a contender as well but both are a little on the heavy side, quality always has a cost. The old saying applies here "Light, Strong, Cheap choose any 2".

My impression on ATC toy haulers was overall very favorable but not perfect. The fit and finish was very good and the trailer looked awesome IMHO. Construction was pretty stout as far as trailers go, interior doors, cabinetry, latches and hinges all designed to last a long time much better than the fake wood cabinets and hardware in the other brands. The airline track is really cool, gives you great tie down options but pricey ($975 on the 28' front bedroom, all my prices were based off this model) but worth it. The ramp/door was beefy looking again much better than the Lippert ramp/door that just about everyone else uses including Desert Fox. The holding tank mounts are very stout no plumber tape holding them to the frame like the lesser toy haulers have. The fact that you can order the trailer without decals is nice although you don't get any credit for deleting them. Being made all from aluminum makes this trailer super light hard not to like that.

Some of the things I didn't like so much was the price of course, base 28' trailer starts at $43,365.00 which puts it at what the junky toyhaulers are with what is a option on a ATC. With the way I option out my trailer it was about $69K and they offered a $9K discount so around $60K not including tax, license, destination charge and this fee and that fee so it became about $69K again. My build did not include any furniture or the happi jack rear bed which are options. I would like a couple more 120v outlets than it comes with but not available from ATC, basically if it is not listed as a option it is not available ATC doesn't do custom stuff period.
Canyonglampr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 02:55 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman4x4 View Post
Okay I keep reading this thread about the POOR quality of some toy haulers. The only reason I keep mentioning this company is because they build their toy haulers for YOU. They are not an assembly like manufacture like many of these trailers.

Take a look at their web site and Facebook page and then give them a call. I am not asking you to give them my name or anything else. I was just very impressed when I talked with them about building me the trailer I was interested in. Their prices are comparable to other trailers on the market. And as they told me when I talked with them, "If you have seen it installed in ANY type of RV we can include it in your build.

www.dunesport.com

Their website is just the start, once you have selected the size and type of trailer and added your basic options then someone will call you to discuss the rest of the package.

Here is a trailer they have for sale right now for an example of the work they do.

https://dunesport.com/used-inventory...oy-hauler.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyonglampr View Post
Just went to the Phoenix dealer a couple of days ago and looked at a ATC toy hauler to see how well they are built. The standard wall insulation is about R3 and the upgraded/optional wall insulation (closed cell 1" thick) ups it to a 6.5 R3 rating and cost about $1200 on the 28' front bedroom model. Also the standard package has no insulation in the floor but there is a optional spray on insulation available that apparently does not cover the holding tanks. I did not ask how much that would cost since I would not order one with the spray on insulation, instead I would do some kind of insulation material and hold it up with Coroplast(SP) like other trailer manufactures do. If you had to do some kind of repair on the frame it would be a mess removing the spray on insulation IMO. Also don't know what the insulation rating was with the spray on insulation. They have a optional tank heater pads that make it 3 season rated.

We are looking for a toy hauler to travel around the country full time once we retire in about 3 years or so. Like the OP we have been totally disapointed in the build quality in almost all the toy haulers currently being made. Desert Fox was the only one that I would of considered and now it looks like ORV has a contender as well but both are a little on the heavy side, quality always has a cost. The old saying applies here "Light, Strong, Cheap choose any 2".

My impression on ATC toy haulers was overall very favorable but not perfect. The fit and finish was very good and the trailer looked awesome IMHO. Construction was pretty stout as far as trailers go, interior doors, cabinetry, latches and hinges all designed to last a long time much better than the fake wood cabinets and hardware in the other brands. The airline track is really cool, gives you great tie down options but pricey ($975 on the 28' front bedroom, all my prices were based off this model) but worth it. The ramp/door was beefy looking again much better than the Lippert ramp/door that just about everyone else uses including Desert Fox. The holding tank mounts are very stout no plumber tape holding them to the frame like the lesser toy haulers have. The fact that you can order the trailer without decals is nice although you don't get any credit for deleting them. Being made all from aluminum makes this trailer super light hard not to like that.

Some of the things I didn't like so much was the price of course, base 28' trailer starts at $43,365.00 which puts it at what the junky toyhaulers are with what is a option on a ATC. With the way I option out my trailer it was about $69K and they offered a $9K discount so around $60K not including tax, license, destination charge and this fee and that fee so it became about $69K again. My build did not include any furniture or the happi jack rear bed which are options. I would like a couple more 120v outlets than it comes with but not available from ATC, basically if it is not listed as a option it is not available ATC doesn't do custom stuff period.
See my above post. Give them a call or since you are in AZ it appears go and check them out.
Wildman4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 12:18 AM   #42

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Went to look at an ATC 28’ front bedroom model as well today. My impressions are similar to Canyonglamprs. Well made but some things are hard to get past. Everything about a trailer is a series of compromises and the ATC is not immune from this. The three biggest issues for us from biggest to least. First it is has a very stark, mechanical, and cold feel to the interior. My wife said there was no way she would spend a couple of weeks living in such a sterile environment. It is the polar opposite of most trailers that are full of bling. She could handle the cabinets being aluminum and really liked the latches and gas struts but everything else was too much metal. They should lay some carpet in those things if they want to sell them. Second I don’t know if they are insulated enough for the type of camping we often do. There are times when we have been camping and nighttime temperatures have been single digits. No matter what they say about insulation, you are in a tin box with one inch thick walls and a metal floor. Finally there really isn’t much in the way of storage compared to a normal trailer. I liked the extra storage in the bathroom and bedroom but the kitchen is really lacking in storage. My wife’s closing comment was, “if you want to get one for your hunting trips and taking your buddies to ride quads, fine but we aren’t traveling on any long trips in one.” To be honest I kinda agreed with her.

Tags
toy hauler