Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2018, 02:59 PM   #1

Toy Hauler Junk. Is that the Norm?

Third time to post on this site as a new member and the other two post have failed. Is this site as junky as new RV's seem to be????

Where and from what manufacturer can I buy a quality toy hauler from. In over a year of research and dealer visits I've not found one unit worth half the asking price.

I would like a unit that we can put a Harley in. A good roof and underpinnings and a interior that does not look it came out of the 70's or a god awful Vegas hotel room. Blue LED lights on the stove? What kind of moron thought that is worth charging over $5.00 for? There not even RGB. And china junk to start with.

It has become so disheartening shopping and researching for a new basic quality built functional toy hauler we are about to call off the search.
Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2018, 03:19 PM   #2

Consider yourself lucky. You’ve figured out they’re junk before you sunk big money into one.
I’m on RV #7. The only toy hauler was #3, it hauled 2 full dressers no problem. But, in the end, it was junk.
I’m finally in an RV that has a bit of quality, but still not perfect. At least it will hold a bit of resale value when the time comes.
Look for a low deck height. Getting an Electra Glide up the ramp can be exciting. The transition from ground to ramp requires some momentum, because your feet don’t touch the ground. Even though the ramp is textured, don’t stop on it, your wheel will spin. Then a quick stop once you’re in.
Backing out is fun, too. Left foot on the ramp, right foot working the rear brake. The front brake will just skid down the ramp without stopping you. Then, at the transition, you ride the gap and hope for the best.
Old 12-29-2018, 03:51 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
All I have to say is that the toy hauler I had was not worth the money that I paid for it or was it even worth the money I lost on it when I sold it. Was it junk, Iwould say almost. Good look in your search they are all overpriced.
Urban350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 03:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMynes View Post
Consider yourself lucky. You’ve figured out they’re junk before you sunk big money into one.
I’m on RV #7. The only toy hauler was #3, it hauled 2 full dressers no problem. But, in the end, it was junk.
I’m finally in an RV that has a bit of quality, but still not perfect. At least it will hold a bit of resale value when the time comes.
Look for a low deck height. Getting an Electra Glide up the ramp can be exciting. The transition from ground to ramp requires some momentum, because your feet don’t touch the ground. Even though the ramp is textured, don’t stop on it, your wheel will spin. Then a quick stop once you’re in.
Backing out is fun, too. Left foot on the ramp, right foot working the rear brake. The front brake will just skid down the ramp without stopping you. Then, at the transition, you ride the gap and hope for the best.
Overall I'm not worried at all about loading my Road King. My skills are very solid. I can ramp it right into the bed of my HD Edition F-150. And get it out just as easy. I am worried about the manufacturer's lying about ramp weight limits. I've seen Dynas crack toy hauler doors. And then refuse to warranty the door. Or the owner have to get near physical with a rip off dealer to get it warranty just to have to lower the junk ramp and then lay a aluminum ladder style ramp on the door to load there HD, Wing or heavy touring class bike.

I want a good roof and proper underpinnings. Or should I buy a stock trailer or cargo trailer and convert it just to get a good roof, frame and running gear? I fully plan to replace the gray and black tank valves to proper valves and shield the valve service. Something the manufacturers seem to way cheap out on. As a example I can install valves I sell for commercial sump and sewage pump systems that are priced the same as the overpriced junk valves used by the RV industry that meet real codes and quality control.

And I don't want to hear about there so called warranty! Build it right and warranty does not have to be a part of there idiot pitch! I roll under units. Salesman goes on about the sealed bottom. I roll under and ask why the covering sags like a WWII tent roof? This is not going to hold up past warranty. You look at the cabinets. it's not built out of North American Oak! It's built out of Asian Water Oak. The wood looks like American Oak. It's Dollar Store Junk Quality.

It's so easy to by a quality truck and toys and then one meets the rv market. Then a sane person looks at RV's Like Politicians. All lies and no action.
Old 12-29-2018, 04:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban350 View Post
All I have to say is that the toy hauler I had was not worth the money that I paid for it or was it even worth the money I lost on it when I sold it. Was it junk, Iwould say almost. Good look in your search they are all overpriced.
Thanks for the post!

I'm not about resale and there is no such thing as ROI concerning a RV unless it's a rolling brothel. And used in Nevada. lolololol

For me it's the roof, frame, axel, brakes, hubs and tires. Support systems. Then the outer walls, fixtures and application. Then interior construction and layout. I know the RV manufacturers use the utmost of junk concerning pumps, valves, plumbing. Of which I have quick fixes for.
Old 12-29-2018, 05:54 PM   #6

I bought a toy hauler in 99 before the huge wave of current stuff hit. Back then there was sWeekend Warrior, Carson, and Alfa (they invented the concept). That was it. Wooden upper structure, all the furniture was homemade because flexsteel didn't make stuff for toy haulers yet. Used it for 9 years, sold it for more than half what i paid for it and when I did the calcs of the TH vs staying in hotels, I broke even.

That said, I've given this advice to just about everyone who complains about the standard products: go see Carson, Featherlike, or ATC and have one built on a cargo trailer chassis. That way you get a low floor, torsion axles, metal frame, and you get the design you want. It will be bigger than a off-the-floor unit because they usually divide it into garage and living quarters. It will be twice as expensive. But, it will be much better than the stuff that's out there for the dirt bike crowd.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 07:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDiemen23 View Post
I bought a toy hauler in 99 before the huge wave of current stuff hit. Back then there was sWeekend Warrior, Carson, and Alfa (they invented the concept). That was it. Wooden upper structure, all the furniture was homemade because flexsteel didn't make stuff for toy haulers yet. Used it for 9 years, sold it for more than half what i paid for it and when I did the calcs of the TH vs staying in hotels, I broke even.

That said, I've given this advice to just about everyone who complains about the standard products: go see Carson, Featherlike, or ATC and have one built on a cargo trailer chassis. That way you get a low floor, torsion axles, metal frame, and you get the design you want. It will be bigger than a off-the-floor unit because they usually divide it into garage and living quarters. It will be twice as expensive. But, it will be much better than the stuff that's out there for the dirt bike crowd.
I've checked into ATC. If I wanted a race trailer they would be on the top of my list. But in the long run ATC seems to not have a clue concerning the mainstay. And if you want this,,, well it's now a race trailer and grows 10' or 100% in pricing. It's like they are a beta company. Featherlight would be what I would build a rig off of it I wanted a elite done by me.

Alpha,,, poor Alpha. Sold as the Rolls Royce. With junk particle board through out. Innovations and idea's they never followed through with. Sliders that failed to work right on a level concrete pad they had poured just for the Alpha. As much as I hate to say it Alpha was a company in need of real engineer's. I had a buddy that bought a Alpha Gold. They brought it home and never even went out on a shake down run with it. A worthless tri axle behemoth with lots of promise and no deliver. Sold it as soon as they could find a sucker. But still own the F600 class rig they bought to tow the pig. Tractor good,, Alpha bad. Seems to be theme in the RV World...
Old 12-29-2018, 07:22 PM   #8

Buy the RV you want and then add a swivel trailer behind the MH or fifth wheel for the motorbike. They even sell trailer covers to go over the bike. We hauled a Goldwing 1800 on our swivel trailer.
The ultimate single wheel trailer system.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 07:27 PM   #9

I have a 4 year old Voltage 3600. Once I got the bugs worked out it's been a good trailer to haul my Ultra Limited and now my RZR 900. The interior looks luxurious and it is so unlike the crappy interiors you mention. And yes, the ramp is a PITA for the Harley. Now that I have the RZR, I may not haul the Harley ever again.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 08:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
Buy the RV you want and then add a swivel trailer behind the MH or fifth wheel for the motorbike. They even sell trailer covers to go over the bike. We hauled a Goldwing 1800 on our swivel trailer.
The ultimate single wheel trailer system.
Thanks for the input. My inlaws have a Class A Coach with a auto rack on the back for there Harley. If my bikes going to get dirty and live in a low pressure zone I want to be riding it. Honestly I'm that guy that keeps a few of his fav. bikes in the house. The beaters live in the garage. My fav bikes may get ridden in the rain, freezing temps, snow and other insane conditions. But when they have done there job they rest with me. When the wife met me she knew I had gasoline in my veins. I had two bikes in the dining room. That has not changed 30 years later.
Old 12-29-2018, 08:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
I have a 4 year old Voltage 3600. Once I got the bugs worked out it's been a good trailer to haul my Ultra Limited and now my RZR 900. The interior looks luxurious and it is so unlike the crappy interiors you mention. And yes, the ramp is a PITA for the Harley. Now that I have the RZR, I may not haul the Harley ever again.
The heavy and no engineered Harley is (our) main scooter. At 57 I'm still a sport/euro sport touring fan. There is a FJR1300 in the mix. While i can get my fix on that bike on local 300 mile rides. There are places I haven't ridden 150 mph wheelies that I would like to visit. The wife of many years who knows I'm not sane got kind of bent last year as I was dragging hand around corners going to Bike Blues and BBQ in Arkansas on the Road King. Making it shake it's head and me complaining about it's per-WWII engineering. So either the King or FJR in the garage. Maybe both. But honestly I don't see a the FJR being loaded most of the time.
Old 12-29-2018, 08:22 PM   #12

Buy a class A and haul a big ass trailer behind for a toad and toys.
Old 12-29-2018, 09:53 PM   #13

The new Weekend Warrior by RV Factory is pretty nice, and appears to be heavy duty. They're building one with a 16 foot garage now, and you can do some customizing on it. Was at the factory two weeks ago, and I think it's better built than the DRV toy haulers.
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 06:28 AM   #14

Northwood?
https://youtu.be/kn66Zf5DjrE

Sister company Outdoors RV is releasing a new toy hauler line next year. Both are above "par" on build strength and quality.
ORV | Trail Series
Normal_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toy hauler