Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2019, 06:08 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast View Post
I want a good roof and proper underpinnings. Or should I buy a stock trailer or cargo trailer and convert it just to get a good roof, frame and running gear?
That would be your best option. Or better still, call any of the better trailer manufacturers in Oklahoma and have them design/build what you want. We just had a new stock trailer built for us by Cimarron in Chickasha, OK. It is every bit as good as the Hart it replaced. They do lots of custom work. Their frames, axles and roofs are some of the strongest in the industry. They use the same building techniques as Hart does, and that was what we used to haul our large show steers around the country in. If their ramps can hold a 2500 lb. Longhorn steer, it should hold a bike too.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2019, 07:36 PM   #58

What about a momentum,,know a guy that has one bike rides in the back whole door is a ramp bike in its like garage plus it has a fueling station,,,might be worth looking into
gwhollis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:29 AM   #59

Our tow rig is a Medium Duty Truck, so we have enormous GCWR reserve.

We start with Our Requirements Statement:
*** Haul our SCUBA gear, kayaks, mountain bikes, everything for months of isolated boondocking on Baja beaches.
*** Fuel tank.
*** Adequate reserve suspension and tires/wheels, frame and brakes.
*** Bash past branches and boulders... 'pin-stripes' are not an issue.
*** Tandem duals so the loss of one tire wouldn't double-load the single remaining tire on that side.

We acquired a flatbed gooseneck tandem dually rated at 22,000# == us3,000 used.
We mounted a 16.5 x 7.5 commercial van-body with hydraulic lift-gate from a truck dismantler == us$200 used.
We mounted a 120-gallon aluminum semi-truck saddle-tank == us$100 used.
We rattle-canned it to match our Expedition Vehicle == us$100 new.

A little welding, some creativity, a plan.

Across the scales, our loaded toy-hauler weighs 12,000#, a nice 10,000# reserve.
Factory Recreation Vehicle toy-haulers fail to meet our needs.
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:21 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by [redacted
];4587916] [edited for brevity] They are now mainly put together by low pay [redacted]. None of them could ever afford to buy one and only care about getting their check and sending their money south to their relatives, so they just don’t care. Some even prefer to cut corners just to cause problems...
Careful! Be careful referencing "ill***l a****ns".

I wrote something similar, and got scolded by moderators and some members.
One dear soul exclaimed "YOU AND RACIST AND DEEPLY INSULTING."

And yet, somehow, our == my spouse and me == experiences as delivery drivers inside the Recreation Vehicle industry stand.

And yes, some assemblers might sometimes sabotage their products. The '99%' retaliating against the '1%', the 'have-nots' and 'gimme' folks spreading their dislike for retirees and Permanent Travelers. If you can't tolerate living down-range...
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:32 AM   #61

Dutchmen Rubicon

I've had my Dutchmen Rubicon Toy Hauler for 9 years now. Besides a few simple mods, I love it and recommend them to everyone in the toy hauler market.

Only had the Harley for 2 years, so the jury is still out on that tho.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:13 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyonglampr View Post
I went by the pictures at first too and went down and checked them out in person. For that big of a purchase it would be best to see their trailer up close for sure.

Yes I am going to have to plan a trip maybe this summer sometime. Fly in to Phoenix and rent a car. Check them out and then if I like what I see go from there.
Wildman4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 02:53 PM   #63

We have 2 Harleys and started looking at Toy Haulers, but could not find one that was built very well. So we ended up buying a Monaco Diplomat and tow our Harleys in a low profile motorcycle trailer. Best decision ever!
Gakona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 08:41 PM   #64

Monaco Owners Club
Yeah, I wouldn’t want to melt any snowflakes.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:56 PM   #65

I too feel as if the TH "new" industry is riddled with overpriced junk and the used market is no better due to owners being upside down.

While I haven't touched that many I have researched the crap out of this and looked at several hundred pictures of product and always end up thinking WTF. The interiors for the most part are junk as are the frames so I have to wonder about the rest.

I think a truck camper mounted on a custom 24' gooseneck trailer is in my future as I'm just hauling a Quad / Enduro Bike.

I did look into a horse trailer with quarters but everything seem to be pushing 30 plus feet and I'm looking to keep my project under 25'. I should have a finished Photoshop picture of my vision tomorrow and will post it in this thread.
Dennis58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 03:22 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis58 View Post
I too feel as if the TH "new" industry is riddled with overpriced junk and the used market is no better due to owners being upside down.

While I haven't touched that many I have researched the crap out of this and looked at several hundred pictures of product and always end up thinking WTF. The interiors for the most part are junk as are the frames so I have to wonder about the rest.

I think a truck camper mounted on a custom 24' gooseneck trailer is in my future as I'm just hauling a Quad / Enduro Bike.

I did look into a horse trailer with quarters but everything seem to be pushing 30 plus feet and I'm looking to keep my project under 25'. I should have a finished Photoshop picture of my vision tomorrow and will post it in this thread.
Go to Pirate 4x4 forums. There is many builds like you describe over there.
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 03:30 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis58 View Post

This is a great option if you’re willing to have something that looks a little bailing wire and duct tape, IMO. You can buy the best truck camper imaginable for about 65k (Host Mammoth) and put it on whatever size gooseneck gives you enough space out back.

If that’s your scene I’d say run with it! You might get a turned up nose at RV resorts but so what? Not like you’re going golfing and wine tasting with a rig like that anyways.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:51 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Thompson View Post
Unfortunately all of the toy hauler manufactures care more about making money than making a quality product. They are now mainly put together by low pay illegal aliens. None of them could ever afford to buy one and only care about getting their check and sending their money south to their relatives, so they just don’t care. Some even prefer to cut corners just to cause problems for the people that can afford a toyhauler.

If you're going to cast aspersions on the labor pool it would be nice if you had some kind of verifiable, sourced documentation.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:29 AM   #69

It's quality control and appers to be substandard. My impact was a trouble because dealer passed the buck . I have done a lot of major repairs and up graded. I have over 40 k on it now and really like the Jack and Jill entries for the bath room .I actually have a Harley and 800 z force with me now . I contributed the condition because it's under shelter 6 months out of a year or I believe it would be twice the maintenance or junk .
Roadglide54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 02:07 PM   #70

The thing that gets me is the fact that the majority of RV builders are just fine with sending out their doors a trailer that needs to be rebuilt when it gets to the dealership and hope that said dealership will do it before the customer takes delivery of it. Unacceptable. I have never work in the automobile industry but I don't think this happen there often. I did work in the power sport industry and we almost never had to do much to a new motorcycle to get it ready for sale other than assemble a few parts after uncrating the bike add oil/gas and juice up the battery. The only exception to this was at one dealership I worked at they sold Royal Endfields and we did have to do alot to them to make them ready for sale, but then we are talking about a motorcycle that was a 50+ year old British design that was made in India yea nuthin could go wrong there.

A new RV can easily cost almost as much as the truck you will tow it with so why are they built so poorly? When I purchase a new truck sure I took it for a test ride to make sure it didn't make any strange noises or steered funny or whatever. I also walked around it to make sure there was no body damage and such, I did not bother to check if the transmission was bolted to the engine properly. This only took a few moments to do, the test ride did take a bit longer but because it was fun driving your new rig for the first time. I spent close to 3 hours going over our new travel trailer when we took delivery and can honestly say I was not 100% sure that everything was as it should be. Not saying the car people don't ever have issues with their product but I doubt it is even close to the level that the RV industry has.

Tags
toy hauler