RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-29-2018, 05:17 PM   #1

Toy Hauler Living Space Vs Garage

Without getting into a lot of detail and making this too long I'll get right to the point and I can follow up with more detail later if needed.

Are there any size 5th wheel toy haulers that have a garage capable of fitting at RZR 1000, at a minimum, but then also have living space that is similar to an RLS layout? Double towing is not in the picture right now so solve my problems.

Our plans may have changed since our non-RV vacation last week on what we want to purchase. My biggest issue with the THs that I have found is that I REALLY don't like the only seating option to be a long straight couch. Would like to have at least two comfortable seating options if possible. A couch and two theater seating recliners, etc would work but more than just one long couch. Does such a beast exist or maybe one that is not 44'+ long?

I currently have a Ram 2500 Mega Cab with 6.4 Hemi but will upgrade to a 3500 SRW Cummins when the time comes. Would prefer to stay away from the DRW if possible but of course if necessary then, OK.

Thanks for the help.

Parks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2018, 07:23 PM   #2

Hi Parks,
You know I'm "in" on this project!

Can't speak for the overhead clearance on the RZR, but if you haven't considered Northwood's Desert Fox, take a closer look, yes bumper pull, but it seems right up your alley!
https://youtu.be/Ja12aoVPhMM
Northwood | Desert Fox 27FS

It's got the garage length covered, great frame and insulation. I think the Desert Fox is the best kept secret in the toy hauler market, very well built.

Another fine choice is ATC Toy Hauler, although their Fifth Wheel is a 40' unit.
ATC Toy Hauler Models

Normal_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 08:25 PM   #3

I don’t know how many options there are in 5th wheels, but maybe consider an open floor plan rather than a separate garage. Then you can configure the unused garage space for more comfortable living after you unload your toys. To me it feels a lot bigger. Just slide a couch or a couple recliners around. The problem with separate garages, especially with the bigger garages is it pushes the living room into the kitchen space. Then they are limited with furniture arrangement options. You only have so much space.
Bob_E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:32 PM   #4

Thanks guys, for the responses. Looks like I'm going to have to concentrate on the THs that don't have the separate garages or find a different option. Looks like they don't make a unit that fits our wants and needs exactly so like may things in life, we will have to find the best compromise. Thanks again.
Parks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:37 PM   #5

Toy Hauler Living Space Vs Garage

With the right SRW you could put the RZR in the bed with a short extension on the hitch (get the super hitch and the truss extension the truck campers use— they go to 1400 lbs tongue weigh pounds or so with WD). Then buy any TT that suits your fancy.

These numbers all work better with a DRW
Old 08-05-2018, 07:57 PM   #6

There are toyhaulers with 14ft garages.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 08:01 PM   #7

Voltage 3805 is one of them.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 05:49 AM   #8

In some ways you are asking something similar to what I may be doing. I previously had a Keystone Raptor, 300mp. 35.5', 10' garage and had that single crappy couch that you referred to. I took apart the couch, with it's unused air mattress, and stored the pieces in the garage. The slide walls and floor were finished and I bought 2 smaller swivel rocker recliners. I had planned to construct 2 small tables to replace the one long stock one but didn't get around to it. The swivel feature meant I could comfortably watch the TV which was on the front wall of the LR area instead of neck bending. The chairs were the "petite" models not the wildly overstuffed you usually see. Brand was Best. IF they would have been wall hugging type that would have been better but wasn't necessary. I was concerned they would "walk around the trailer" while driving and made floor clamps but that turned out unnecessary.

When I sold it I returned the trailer to stock and sold the chairs easily on CL.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:07 AM   #9

I have a 12 1/2' garage and my XPT 4 fits with no issues, most new garages are now 12 1/2' and up to fit 4 seat UTV's.
24shofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:26 PM   #10

An XLR 382AMP has the seating you are looking for and will handle a 2 seat rzr 1000. It is on the heavy side but has plenty of CCC. In used models it would be a 380AMP
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 02:30 PM   #11

Toy Hauler

We have a 2018 Stryker model 2916.16 ft garage,36 feet over all.Bumper pull,lots of room,2 large chairs,works very well.In the back we haul our 1000 RZR or Polaris Slingshot.

SNOKAT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, toy hauler