Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2006, 01:26 PM   #1

Does anyone haul a boat and trailer in their toy hauler? It is a 17'er with a 3.0 I/O mercruiser...
Thordoggydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2006, 01:26 PM   #2

Does anyone haul a boat and trailer in their toy hauler? It is a 17'er with a 3.0 I/O mercruiser...
Old 02-15-2006, 04:04 PM   #3

Thordoggydog:

First off...welcome to the land of iRV2! Glad to see ya aboard.

As far as I've seen here, I don't know anyone who is carrying a boat in their TH, but that doesn't mean there isn't someone. This is mostly an ATV/Bike/Buggy/Sandcar group.

Hope your journey here in iRV2 is fun and enjoyable.

Sean
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 06:13 PM   #4

Thordoggydog to irv2.

I've seen plenty of PWC in toyhaulers, but I've never seen a boat of that size in one.

I'd be willing to bet someone is doing it. I would think you could mount a winch in the toyhauler to help load and unload.

Wes
high desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 05:31 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
I think it would be doable if your trailer would fit. I've thought long and hard about doing that but my trailer is too wide and long (boat too) but with a smaller rig it would work. I think a winch and a real good set of wheels on the tongue jack would do the trick. The only drawback is if you used it the day you were leaving water would still be dripping off things and get the inside of your trailer wet. After thinking about that for awhile I gave the idea up.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 05:39 AM   #6

I have been looking at the specs of several toy haulers, but none seem to state the inside width of the trailer. What is a typical inside width?
Old 02-16-2006, 07:06 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
The door opening and the width of the ramp is the main thing, (ya gotta get it inside first) and I don't know about all of them but WW is about 95". The other thing is your net carrying capacity. You need to make sure you have enough left after everything else is loaded to handle the weight of the boat/trailer. Also the ramp door capacity will come into play since most all your weight will be on the door at the same time. I believe WW has a 3000 lb rating but some others may not be that high.

Good luck with the project.
Old 02-17-2006, 07:32 PM   #8

Boat in toyhauler. It took me a couple of weeks to get everything set up. Had to install a 3000 lb. winch under the stairs that go up to the bedroom, make ramps that go over the rear door ramp (to much weight for the ramp door) and bought a used ez-loader trailer to replace the trailer that came with the Donzi (too wide to fit in the doorway). As for for the boat and trailer being wet, doesn't seem to be a problem. The boat drys quickly in the heat and the trailer has rollers instead of ramps with carpet that would stay wet for a while. We get a lot of people looking and wondering if we have lost our minds. It's a bit of a process to load and unload but once on the lake...worth it!

05 Tahoe Fury 38FTB
ClownCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 07:49 PM   #9

Hey ClownCar!

Welcome to our neck of the woods- Glad to see ya...welcome to iRV2!

That sounds like it was alot of work to get the TH ready for a boat...good stuff on the winch and setup- it sure would be great if you can get some pics up of what you did! I imagine there's some complexity to the winch setup. Is your boat close to what Thordoggydog's boat is?

Again...welcome "aboard'!

Sean
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 08:07 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Hey ClownCar

Gotta know, did the trailer have a removable tongue or did you have enough length to do it without the length problem?
Old 02-17-2006, 09:30 PM   #11

Thanks for the welcome Sean. Yes it was a lot of work. I will try to get some pics tomorrow of the winch. I don't have any pics of the boat in the TH, but will get some next time I take it out.
Tom, the tongue is not removable, however, no need as their is plenty of room.
Andy

05 Tahoe Fury 38FTB
ClownCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 09:49 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Thanks Andy, I sure wanted to put mine in but I'm 24ft total and I only have 21ft, thought about getting another trailer and modding it but got to looking at the boat itself and figured it just wouldn't make it. It's a 19ft boat and by the time you put the motor on, just a little too long. I've got the factory winch, a 3500 lb Warn that works great with remote control. WW puts it under the kitchen cabinets, you lose the bottom drawer. Just use it to load the cars and have to get the boat there another way. It's never simple is it. Have a great day.