Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2018, 09:13 AM   #1

Toy haulers, never owned one. Educate me.

Hello toyhauler fans,

I've owned a TT, a class C (Winnie View), and two class A MH's. Toyhaulers seem to be a big deal nowadays. What were your reasons for getting one? Did you have the bike, ATV, golf cart, etc., before you bought or after? Are these mostly 5ers towed by a diesel dually? Approx how old are you? I see many TH's that are branded with macho names such as 'Voltage,' Venom', and 'Raptor.' Are most buyers younger guys? (Yup, as an official geezer now, I'm probably just jealous).

How often to you camp? Full-time?

All these questions are prompted by what my wife thinks is a crazy idea - getting a pickup as a toad for the DP and hauling a golf cart in the bed of the pickup. Hey, I may be old (70), but I'm not dead yet!
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2018, 10:41 AM   #2

People I know who buy THs are ORV guys who usually do it because they are tired of pulling a bike trailer and sleeping in a tent when they go riding, or stuffing bikes in the bed of the truck while pulling something light enough to not overload the truck, or having to use two vehicles to go for a weekend.

As long as your DP can tow the weight, I see no problem with your plan.
steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 11:19 AM   #3

I could not find a residential with the features of a toy hauler, even though I liked a lot of the residential better.

We boondock a lot and we wanted large FW (over 100 gallons), large holding tanks, and built in generator.

We ended up with 112 gallons of water, 88 grey, 44 black, built in generator with 30 gallon tank and 2nd 30 gallon tank.

We found a couple of residential that came close for FW/holding, but we would have had to add a generator ($$$$) and it would have run off of propane. Once we set it up, it would have cost more then a TH, and with lower "specs". I also get the bonus of a mud room and a rear deck.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 11:25 AM   #4

I'm 36, I had an "Attitude" 36' toy hauler, we dry camp about 15 times per season, it held 130 gallons of fresh water so it was well suited for that. I have a sandrail that fit in the back, or 2 quads depending on the trip. I thought it was the best thing for our situation, but alas it was not, I've since switched to a d.p. and a box trailer for the toys, I would never go back, for many many reasons.....
Old 12-28-2018, 11:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RescueRamsey View Post
I'm 36, I had an "Attitude" 36' toy hauler, we dry camp about 15 times per season, it held 130 gallons of fresh water so it was well suited for that. I have a sandrail that fit in the back, or 2 quads depending on the trip. I thought it was the best thing for our situation, but alas it was not, I've since switched to a d.p. and a box trailer for the toys, I would never go back, for many many reasons.....

Interesting - thanks. What do you use to sightsee and go to the grocery store?
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 01:19 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RescueRamsey View Post
I had a 43' toy hauler. I carried an ATV and a full size Weber gas grill in it. The garage is a lot of other things too; mud room, dog kennel, buffet serving table, extra bedroom, etc. I have even heard of people living full time in them and making the garage an office for work. The deck makes an extended dog run and a place to set up the Weber for cooking. We also have since gone to a DP, but I do miss the garage and deck.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 02:56 PM   #7

Still part timing it and weekend camping. Had an older Class A, may have stayed with them and upgraded, but wife's newer vehicle could not be towed.
TH gave me, a vehicle to go get groceries or get to fishing hole. Able to carry plenty of water and a gen set. A place for golf cart, motorcycle or inflatable boat depending on occasion. As well as mud room, porch, dining room, spare bedroom and a raised deck.
Trade offs....heavy, living area is small for a 40 ft rig.
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 11:27 PM   #8

I'm 46. I bought a toy hauler in October that has an overall length of 30ft. I go to the track with my motorcycle. Previously, I towed an open trailer and either slept in the back of my truck (with a canopy), started in a friend's toy hauler, or had to stay in a more near the track. This last summer, my girlfriend went with me 4 times (and sleet in the back of my truck 2 times).

We have been on 3 camping trips so far and now we are on a ski trip. The TH sleeps 5. We have stayed with just the 2 of us and have had up to 3 guests stay with us. I had to buy a bigger truck to be able to tow this TH. My previous truck was a Nissan Frontier, which rated to tow 6,100lb.

I haven't put motorcycles in the TH yet. That will happen this spring and summer. My TH has large grey and black tanks, a 156 gallon freshwater tank, a 40 gallon onboard fuel station, a built in generator, a solar panel on the roof.
avigil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 06:51 AM   #9

I have a tt toy hauler that I use to haul my bike, and use as a "base camp". Go to an area I want to ride, ride the area and sleep in comfort. Move to another area, repeat. I do this for about 8-12 weeks a year. I have done the tent routine (and still occasionally do), but after neck surgery, not sleeping on a good bed after riding extended periods, just hurts too much.

The setup gives me the ability to use the bike, or if the weather is crappy, I can just use the truck.
Wileykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 07:25 AM   #10

This should paint a good picture for you: ATC trailer.
ATC Aluminum Toy Hauler

If what you want is a trailer to haul a toad, and a golf cart, if your Class A is rated to tow it, why not just get a larger car hauler cargo trailer? hold the toad, and the golf cart.

OTOH, if you are wanting to move away from the class A, then take a look at this one from Northwood. (and buy the appropriate tow vehicle.
https://youtu.be/xvnHE0lZKlA
Normal_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 08:37 AM   #11

BTW, right now is probably a good time to buy. I bought in October and paid $30,000 for a brand new toy hauler with an MSRP of $52,000. Here are some pictures so you get an idea of what it looks like. Most people wouldn't realize you could put motorcycles inside it unless I told them.Click image for larger version

Name:	20180928_160244.jpeg
Views:	145
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	230376Click image for larger version

Name:	20181021_202348.jpeg
Views:	130
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	230377Click image for larger version

Name:	20181006_182235.jpeg
Views:	143
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	230379
avigil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 02:43 PM   #12

There is people tht wish their house had a garage...then there is people who have garages.
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 10:10 PM   #13

I have two of them. One I use at the campground for storage of my Motorcycles and a guest house. The other I pull behind my motorhome for dirt bikes, guests and to keep the dirt out of my motorhome! No riding gear in the expensive Motorhome! I am 61. I Street ride, dirt ride, jetski, boat, kayak, bicycle and will until I just can't! Buy a toy hauler, put a toy in it and go play!! The clock is ticking and there aren't many ticks left.......
Jrtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 10:28 PM   #14

I'm 31 with a family and 2 kids. We purchased a 41' Raptor toy hauler for dual purpose. We have a golf cart we occasionally haul to the campgrounds with us but the primary purpose is using the garage for a place for the kids and dog to stay and have their own area. The happijac bed system is great for that. They also have their own bathroom back there so it gives them their own space. We also have ATV's but when we go riding as a family we haul a separate trailer as the garage isn't big enough to fit 2 fourwheelers and a side by side. Ideally, we would have gotten a larger garage if buying new but found a nice used unit for half the price which justifies taking a 2nd vehicle and trailer the two times a year we go riding. We have no complaints other than sometimes feeling a little large for just a weekend camping trip. It is also very nice to have 110gal fresh water capacity as we do a lot of state park camping in Michigan with no water hookup. We are about 16,000lbs loaded so I use a 1 ton dually for towing.
j5avery is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, toy hauler