Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2005, 04:36 PM   #1

Hi gang, have not posted since we ordered the LE3505. Just been re-modeling the Kitchen watching NASCAR and trying to get a summers worth of work done before it arrives. Thanks to
56Nomad I will have a lot of work to do right after the delivery. Got the Firestone spring helpers and Duraflaps for the TV. Very happy with both. So here is my question. I have the 16k Superglide that I mounted myself. I have to wait to mount the plate until the trailer is delivered and I don't trust the RV service industry as a whole. I'm allot like most of you, a do it yourselfer (56Nomad comes to mind) I really don't want to have the 5er sitting there doing nothing on their lot while I take the pin box back to my garage and drill and tap all the holes and mount the plate...Soooo I was thinking of buying the Trailair pin box and mounting the plate at my leisure than having it swapped out on delivery day. I know Zieman builds the frame but do they also build the pin box or is that a Lipert or some other brand? I am trying to order the right model from TrailAir. Zieman is not on their list. Do any of you have this setup on your Weekend Warrior and if so what model do I need to order and how do you like it. As always thanks in advance to all the great people here

Grizwald

06 LE 3505
Grizwald2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2005, 04:36 PM   #2

Hi gang, have not posted since we ordered the LE3505. Just been re-modeling the Kitchen watching NASCAR and trying to get a summers worth of work done before it arrives. Thanks to
56Nomad I will have a lot of work to do right after the delivery. Got the Firestone spring helpers and Duraflaps for the TV. Very happy with both. So here is my question. I have the 16k Superglide that I mounted myself. I have to wait to mount the plate until the trailer is delivered and I don't trust the RV service industry as a whole. I'm allot like most of you, a do it yourselfer (56Nomad comes to mind) I really don't want to have the 5er sitting there doing nothing on their lot while I take the pin box back to my garage and drill and tap all the holes and mount the plate...Soooo I was thinking of buying the Trailair pin box and mounting the plate at my leisure than having it swapped out on delivery day. I know Zieman builds the frame but do they also build the pin box or is that a Lipert or some other brand? I am trying to order the right model from TrailAir. Zieman is not on their list. Do any of you have this setup on your Weekend Warrior and if so what model do I need to order and how do you like it. As always thanks in advance to all the great people here

Grizwald

06 LE 3505
Old 06-07-2005, 06:28 PM   #3

Griz! Welcome back!

Boy...wish I could help ya out on that Trailair, but haven't got a clue...did you have a date on your LE? There's just nuttin' like it when you get it! And yes....56 is keeping the whole iRV2 community riveted to their screens for the next MOD, and got us hoping his camera will run outta film so we can play 'catchup'.

Anyone got some help for Griz?

Sean
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 08:37 AM   #4

G2

I have a Trailair gooseneck and love it. On mine there was no drilling or tapping required. Bolted right on. It took two of us about 10 minutes.

We did wind up drilling some new holes to adjust the ride height after the first trip.

I will NEVER have a 5r without the Trailair gooseneck.

Rick
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 12:23 PM   #5

Update. Finally got to the bottom of this after making some phone calls. Giant had no clue, Weekend Warrior could only tell me it is a Zieman frame (obviously I didn't reach the right person) and after calling the Zieman factory in Hemet (those guys new what they were talking about) It's a Stelco pin box. Called Tim at TrailAir and he is also very nice. Turns out they are in the process of updating their brochures to include Stelco and if anybody is interested the right Part# is L03-224. Should be here in about a week.

WWfan How are you. Delivery date is July 23rd. I figure by that time 56Nomad/C.Carney will have so many new mods for me to do I'll never catch up. I think we need a Mod topic thread just for those two so I can just take the laptop to the trailer and start moding page by page!!!!

Griz

06 LE 3505
Old 06-08-2005, 01:10 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">... I figure by that time 56Nomad/C.Carney will have so many new mods for me to do I'll never catch up. I think we need a Mod topic thread just for those two so I can just take the laptop to the trailer and start moding page by page!!!!

Griz </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Griz:

It's been quite 'head-scratchin', hasn't IT! Lots of fun, though....

Betcha ya can hardly wait for 7/23! Which Giant (Corona?) did you order from?

Sean
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 01:31 PM   #7

Giant in Murrieta, This forum is hilarious... Great info good people. You got that right 7/23 seems like a long time from now. One more thing to do in the better safe the sorry department. Boost and EGT gauges. Hope to get out local once for a shakedown cruise and then it's off to Pismo for the maiden voyage. Got a group of relatives and friends meeting the weekend of Aug 18th from down here and the bay area.

Griz

06 LE 3505
Old 06-09-2005, 06:58 AM   #8

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">... Got the Firestone spring helpers and.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi Griz
I just ordered the Firestone 2330 airbags a few days ago. Looking forward to installing them prolly on Monday. Every other minute of my life between now and then is spoken for

And did you not get the stock plate when you got the Superglide? I probably am not understanding. I mounted my Husky 16K right out of the box, drove over to the WW dealer and yanked my 5'r right off the lot. Why the fabbing on your plate?
And get those guages. They tell an interesting tale.

And not having heard anything real technical from '56 in 2 days makes me a bit nervous. Whats he cooking up in all that time?

Speedy,
Welcome to iRVs !
Good to have you here.
and what do you like in the gooseneck over a standard plate hitch?
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 09:02 AM   #9

FatDog, Hello. Yes I do have the plate. The plate is specific to the Superglide Slider. It has to be bolted or welded to the pin on the trailer. It is just a flat plate with a triangle shaped protrusion on the rear so when you turn the 5er it hits the side of the hitch and starts the slide to the rear action. If I left it up to giant I know they would do what is easiest for them. It would be welded. I want to drill tap and bolt it so if the need ever arises that I need the TH towed by a standard hitch I just have to unbolt the plate. The TrailAir just interested me and I thought it would be a good way to just show up for delivery and say, here bolt this new pin on. Have never seen one but from what I've read it sounds good. Might be interesting looking in the rearview and watching the action of the shock and bag (I'm easily amused).

As far as the Air bags for the TV I think you will love them. I sure do and have not towed anything yet. Did you get the pump? I did and it's nice having air on the truck and the gauges in the cab.

'56 is probably in the shed converting on old snowplow into a roadgrader so he can blaze his own trails into the great wide open...

Griz

06 LE 3505
Old 06-09-2005, 09:40 AM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">'56 is probably in the shed converting on old snowplow into a roadgrader so he can blaze his own trails into the great wide open... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
And he'll put some spot lights on it too i hope ....

And Griz,
o.K., now i see whats going on. I now understand how the Superglide works, with the plate you have to affix to the trailer and it having a triangle on the rear of the plate which is the triggering mechanism for the slider to work. Very interesting. That is obviously what makes it different then other hitches, you have to put something on the trailer. Got it. never knew that

And no i didn't get the pump for the airbags. I probably will eventually but wanted to install the bags first and see just how much i really use them. If i only tow once a month, i will just use another way of pumping the bags up. Firestone has that pump for their bags for like $250 or something, but if i go on-board air, i waill install a compressor that can do the airbags, tires, airhorns,....
So for now I'm just a bagman
Old 06-09-2005, 11:52 AM   #11

Mike,

My airbags are single lined, with the valve stems coming out the upper license plate bolts. That way I can add or remove air to level accordingly.

Clark

2005 F350 PSD CC DRW Tow Boss
C.CARNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 12:33 PM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">My airbags are single lined, with the valve stems coming out the upper license plate bolts. That way I can add or remove air to level accordingly.

Clark </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Clark thats how I was thinking of doing them, with two air nozzles coming out near the license. Someone else had said he had the airlines coming out inside that little gas filler door. Kind of a neat idea.
I'm wondering, if you lose air out in the boonies while towing a trailer, can you handpump those bags to say.. 50 pounds each or does it rerquire a compressor?
Old 06-09-2005, 12:39 PM   #13

C.CARNEY I have not had the pleasue of towing with them yet. How do you like them under load compared to not having them?

Griz

06 LE 3505
Old 06-09-2005, 01:47 PM   #14

Mike & Griz,

I bet you could hand pump one if needed. When I use my compressor, it takes only seconds to add alot of air. With the trailer on the truck, I run about 40-50 lbs of air to level out the truck. (my old Nomad only took 20 lbs)

But when empty, I run only 5-10 lbs otherwise the truck rides really hard. With the Alfa, I need to run air otherwise the truck gets real spongy when going down the road over dips and ruts (normal CA roads). They work really well though. Mike, I would buy a cheap 12V air compressor and keep behind the seat or in the tool box to fill if needed. I have a Sears 120V that I plug into my inverter if needed.

Clark

2005 F350 PSD CC DRW Tow Boss
C.CARNEY is offline   Reply With Quote