Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-29-2005, 09:26 AM   #1

Just an update on my TrailAir saga. First let me say that Tim at TrailAir is the man. Now the story. Some of you remember my order of a LE3505 and the Pullrite hitch with the plate that mounts to the trailer pin box. In order to speed the delivery process I decided to buy the TrailAir pin box and mount my plate so on delivery day all I had to do was change the box's and be on my merry way. So I contacted Weekend Warrior and Zieman and they told me it's a stelco pin pox. Great. Tim at TrailAir sends me the thing and it sits in the garage until delivery day. So now I'm on giants lot unbolting the stock box and find out the bolts are 5/8 not 1/2. No big deal, I go back home and drill the new pin box to 5/8 and head back to Giant. (Mind you its 95 degrees and you have to were gloves because all this heavy **** steal is so dang hot) So I slide the new pin box up in there and none of the bolt holes line up. Dang!!!!!! Now I'm about an hour away from PDI and I have to go back home drill the stock pin box and mount the superglide plate. Back to giant and remount the pin box. Geez this has been quite the day. So we get the trailer home finally!!!!! At home I take the measurements and they are all different than the LE3305 I measured for the original purchase. Call Tim at TrailAir and send him pictures. NOT A STELCO PIN BOX. It's a Lipert or as Tim feels a knock-off of Lipert. All the main Pin box manufacturers stamp the make and model on their pin box. WW and Zieman are using copy cats and are not stamped. After seeing mine and an LE3305's are deferent it appears they use different boxes on their 5ers also. Now the good part. Because I drilled the holes in the TrailAir box Tim can not reuse it. Even if I hadn't drilled it it was going to cost me another $180.00 to ship the old one back and receive the right one. Tim being the standup guy that I feel he is decided it would be best for his company and me to just ship me the new body and not worry about the boat anchor sitting in my garage. It's only costing me $150.00 for my mistake.

Moral of this story. If you want a TrailAir for your Weekend warrior take measurements and pictures and send them to Tim. He will match you right up.

Griz

06 LE 3505
Grizwald2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2005, 09:26 AM   #2

Just an update on my TrailAir saga. First let me say that Tim at TrailAir is the man. Now the story. Some of you remember my order of a LE3505 and the Pullrite hitch with the plate that mounts to the trailer pin box. In order to speed the delivery process I decided to buy the TrailAir pin box and mount my plate so on delivery day all I had to do was change the box's and be on my merry way. So I contacted Weekend Warrior and Zieman and they told me it's a stelco pin pox. Great. Tim at TrailAir sends me the thing and it sits in the garage until delivery day. So now I'm on giants lot unbolting the stock box and find out the bolts are 5/8 not 1/2. No big deal, I go back home and drill the new pin box to 5/8 and head back to Giant. (Mind you its 95 degrees and you have to were gloves because all this heavy **** steal is so dang hot) So I slide the new pin box up in there and none of the bolt holes line up. Dang!!!!!! Now I'm about an hour away from PDI and I have to go back home drill the stock pin box and mount the superglide plate. Back to giant and remount the pin box. Geez this has been quite the day. So we get the trailer home finally!!!!! At home I take the measurements and they are all different than the LE3305 I measured for the original purchase. Call Tim at TrailAir and send him pictures. NOT A STELCO PIN BOX. It's a Lipert or as Tim feels a knock-off of Lipert. All the main Pin box manufacturers stamp the make and model on their pin box. WW and Zieman are using copy cats and are not stamped. After seeing mine and an LE3305's are deferent it appears they use different boxes on their 5ers also. Now the good part. Because I drilled the holes in the TrailAir box Tim can not reuse it. Even if I hadn't drilled it it was going to cost me another $180.00 to ship the old one back and receive the right one. Tim being the standup guy that I feel he is decided it would be best for his company and me to just ship me the new body and not worry about the boat anchor sitting in my garage. It's only costing me $150.00 for my mistake.

Moral of this story. If you want a TrailAir for your Weekend warrior take measurements and pictures and send them to Tim. He will match you right up.

Griz

06 LE 3505
Old 07-29-2005, 10:18 AM   #3

Sounds like a great guy. I'm glad it has worked out so far for you.

Clark

2005 F350 PSD CC DRW Tow Boss
C.CARNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 07:46 PM   #4

Update Griz?
Old 08-03-2005, 07:53 PM   #5

The new one should arrive this week. I'll have pics of the install. Cross your fingers,

Don

06 LE 3505
Old 08-04-2005, 09:40 PM   #6

It's done! More to follow on Saturday. I have an Engagement tomorrow so all see ya than

Griz

06 Aug update

More pics to look at. Towed it today and it does make quite a difference. It's not for the folks who are concerned about pin weight. I'm guessing here but if the stock pin is 70# this thing is at least 150# all assembled. I'm very happy that it's done. With me 3/4 of the fun of towing with the family aboard in CA traffic is the confidence in how the rig is hitched and how it handles the road. I have that peice of mind now. If I could have done one thing different I would have ordered the DRW instead of the SWR. Somthing to look forward to in a couple of years.
[IMG]Griz

06 LE 3505
Old 08-05-2005, 06:14 AM   #7

well i have ran the trail air,
but i gota tell ya the easy rider air ride hitch is unreal, and and 100 times better ride and can be used on the fly ,

you can use it to kneel the unit for hooking up and unhooking,

and it stays in the truck ready for any trailer !!!

these big heavy units need an air ride hitch,
and shocks on the trailer .

the easy rider also has shocks on the hitch,----very nice
02 chevy 2500hd 4x4 d/a crew cab sb srw,20k easy rider air ride hitch,air lift bags with compressor for bags and hitch,edge ez juce box and hyperchip,jena my girlfriend a 140 lbs french mastiff and a 175 lbs english mastiff. living in an 02 40' trip
kelstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 06:26 AM   #8

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
Griz,
So it sounds like WW (and others??) are using different pin-box manufacturers? I wonder if anyone else has measured a pinbox on the dealer lot and then received a trailer with a different configuration. I haven't seen a whole lot of air-ride hitches being used, but i bet we will all see a lot more as weights of trailers increase.
I think i will start looking at WW pins and see if they look different - 5/8" or 1/2" and with different hole patterns.

and kelster,
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">...these big heavy units need an air ride hitch,
and shocks on the trailer . </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
now there is something I haven't seen here...
..who is putting shock mounts on their WW's, or rather, what other trailers do people have that come stock with shocks?
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 11:32 AM   #9

well i have a tripple axle unit and i had to install the 6 shocks on the unit,
what a difference it makes.

my unit was ordered with shocks , and should have had them ,
but we all know how stupid these things are to get right

i would rather have done the work any way ,
its just one less thing they will screw up for me .

but yes all these things should have shocks .

it is very unsafe to operate one of these without shocks , or an air ride hitch .

and yes all the pin boxes are different ,
just depends on who had what at the time your unit was built !!
02 chevy 2500hd 4x4 d/a crew cab sb srw,20k easy rider air ride hitch,air lift bags with compressor for bags and hitch,edge ez juce box and hyperchip,jena my girlfriend a 140 lbs french mastiff and a 175 lbs english mastiff. living in an 02 40' trip
kelstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 01:50 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">now there is something I haven't seen here...
..who is putting shock mounts on their WW's, or rather, what other trailers do people have that come stock with shocks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Mike the ole Ken-Craft was standard with shocks. It pulls like a dream. Had a '97 Mobile Scout (Sunnybrook) It also had shocks. I believe all Sunnybrooks's go out the door with shocks. They do make a difference regardless of the size of the rig.

Hoverbug is offline   Reply With Quote