Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-14-2005, 04:17 PM   #1

I know FatDog replaced his tranny fluid pan when he upgraded to the bigger trailer. I noticed this weekend that my F-250s' tranny was getting a little hot, and was wondering if anyone has had any luck putting a bigger fluid pan on the bottom of there truck, and any idea where I could go to find one. I have a few leads, but I figgered I would throw this one out there to get a seasoned responses

Rod

WW LE3505
melon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2005, 04:17 PM   #2

I know FatDog replaced his tranny fluid pan when he upgraded to the bigger trailer. I noticed this weekend that my F-250s' tranny was getting a little hot, and was wondering if anyone has had any luck putting a bigger fluid pan on the bottom of there truck, and any idea where I could go to find one. I have a few leads, but I figgered I would throw this one out there to get a seasoned responses

Rod

WW LE3505
Old 11-14-2005, 06:01 PM   #3

Mag-Hytech. Piers Diesel Research

Spanaway,WA USA
WaFLHTIRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 09:57 PM   #4

Rod,

One of the first things I did to my old red truck was change the trans and rear diff pans to Mag-Hytec pans. I also installed temperature guages on both pans. It made a hugh difference in cooling the trans. I also installed an additional trans cooler and the trans never went above 190 degrees, even when pulling the trailer during the summer. Every 30,000 miles I did a complete flush of the fluid and when it was changed, the fluid came out as clean as the new fluid going in.

When I traded in the truck, the tranny was still shifting awesome even after 140,000 miles. Spend a few bucks on a pan and additional cooler. It WILL save your trans.

Say Hi to Deb and Sammy. We need to get a trip together after the first of the year with everyone.

Clark

2005 F350 PSD CC DRW Tow Boss
C.CARNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 08:00 AM   #5

Hey Clark, how you been.
Thanks for the info. I ordered the tranny pan and the dif cover this morning. My mechanic said that a secondary tranny cooler wasn't really needed, but he suggested putting a fan on the one I already have. I already change the fuild every 30K, and I think that has helped a bit. The temp gauge never went into the yellow or red, it just got higher than it usually does. I guess that is good because it shows me that the gauge actually works, I dont think it got hot enough to hurt anything. I'll give these quick fixes a try, if this doesn't work I'll go with a secondary cooler as well.

Rod

WW LE3505
Old 11-15-2005, 12:02 PM   #6

Rod,

You can't go wrong with the new pans. I will be getting one for the new truck soon as well.

Things are good on my end, very busy with work, station and the training tower. I'm working Turkey day thru the weekend and Xmas eve so no holiday trips for us. We did go to Vegas last weekend, actually on a business convention trip to look at the new EMS supplies on the market. I was able to take Robin with me, we pulled the trailer because room rates were way HIGH for Veterans Weekend. It was cheaper in fuel and 2 nights at Oasis RV park than 1 night in some hotels. Easy drive, man the new tow boss pulls well.

Have you guys been out riding or? We have been looking at the calendar for next year trying to figure out when to plan trips. When we get a couple down firm, I'll let you guys know.

On the external trans cooler, I know I probally didn't need it either, but it was around $50.00 and took me all of 1 hour to install. I though about doing a fan also, but I didn't have the space to put one on so it was just easier for the extra cooler.

Take care,

Clark

2005 F350 PSD CC DRW Tow Boss
C.CARNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 06:22 PM   #7

Clark & Linc:

Me thinks good idea...but I'll wait until about 20k when I change the fluid. Doesn't hurt to have more fluid to dissipate the heat!

Sean
Old 11-16-2005, 10:26 PM   #8

Well, welcome back Sean. Sounds like the driving school is something you will never forget.(sorry, tying two treads together here)

The new pan and the dif cover will be here Friday. Well before I have (get) to take the trailer out again. This should cure all my problems. The great thing about the new cover is that I have to replace my fuild when they change the cover, so my tranny gets a new lease on life.

Hey Clark, things are good on this end. We went to Mountain Lakes time share up close to Glen Helen last weekend. It was a beautiful spot because it was surrounded by trees and mountains, so you never thought you were only 20 minutes aways from a concrete jungle. The only drag was I couldn't use the gas powered golf cart. They allowed electric, but no gas. I imagine because of the fire danger. We never got a soild answer from them.

As far as trips, we have a one nighter the Friday after Thanksgiving, then maybe the Glamis one in the begining of Dec., Johnson Valley between X-mas and New Years, then a big shooting trip in NV in April. Sounds like a lot, but it's never enough. Plus, we spent big money on the trailer, might as well use it, right?

Rod

WW LE3505
Old 11-16-2005, 11:22 PM   #9

I just did the Mag-Hytec double deep trans pan and Mag-Hytec rear diff cover on my Dodge and I like both of them. very quality products in my opinion. gOOd luck...

06 Rampage 387
RRC/AMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 02:47 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Well, the old Allison didn't need a deep pan, already has one, finned. But, I will say that who ever is running a Chevy for a tow vehicle and pulling heavy, run out and change your rear end grease from the 70-90 synthetic they put in at the factory to the 90-140 synthetic for heavy use. That light weight stuff will fry your differential on a long hot pull. I had mine hot enough that it turned the cover bronze along the line where the ring gear runs and burned the paint off the entire housing after a hard pull from Albuquerque to Tulsa at 75-80 mph nonstop except for fuel (two stops) in 100 degree heat. (10 hrs 45 min) Changed it to the 90-140 and never a problem after that. Bet that ring and pinion is seated real good.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 09:35 AM   #11

Melon,

ditto of what Clark did, for me except I went with Hughes performance diff and tranny pans. (Hughes is local here in Phx and he supports the Fire Dept. etc. so I just returned the favor) Exellent products. I also went with temp guages for both, and reguardless of what you mech says YOU CAN NEVER have to much cooler for your tranny!!! I went with the biggest cooler I could find, the tru-cool max. I never see 190* towing. and see about 160* empty here in the summer. I have the same truck as you and I promise your stock cooler will work MOST of the time, but all it takes is the 1 time it wasn't enough. I figured the 135.00 for the tru-cool was a **** of a lot cheaper then replacing the tranny. Just my 2 cents
Old 11-21-2005, 07:04 AM   #12

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
There is an old provision among mechanics that I will probably not forget to do again ...
recheck your bolts after a few hundred miles.
That Mag-Hytec is nothing but good stuff, but evidently it prefers to have the bulk of its bolts remain intact.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 08:24 AM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
Just one thing I would like to add about retrofit tranny pans; get one with a drain plug. After a haul I drain the pan which holds a gallon of fluid. A gallon to refil is less than $6 at Wal-Mart. It's easy, inexpensive and keeps the fluid fresh until a complete flush is due. Happy Trails!!

Hoverbug is offline   Reply With Quote