Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-15-2007, 04:01 PM   #1
Rat

Right now I have a 31 foot Sunnybrook fifth wheel but the wife is looking at trading. We are looking at a FSW2800 weekend worrior travel trailer ,Hitch weight of 1040, axle 6110 GVWR 13000. I am looking at pull type over 5er because most 5ers are over 12' tall and I keep my camper in a garage with a 12' door. My question is how much difference is there going to be pulling a TT than a 5er???

I know that TT have come a long way over the years but I'm still concered about towing a TT in strong winds????

I have a 2004 powerstroke crewcab single rear wheels.

Thanks for all the input!!!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2007, 04:01 PM   #2
Rat

Right now I have a 31 foot Sunnybrook fifth wheel but the wife is looking at trading. We are looking at a FSW2800 weekend worrior travel trailer ,Hitch weight of 1040, axle 6110 GVWR 13000. I am looking at pull type over 5er because most 5ers are over 12' tall and I keep my camper in a garage with a 12' door. My question is how much difference is there going to be pulling a TT than a 5er???

I know that TT have come a long way over the years but I'm still concered about towing a TT in strong winds????

I have a 2004 powerstroke crewcab single rear wheels.

Thanks for all the input!!!!

Old 04-15-2007, 05:48 PM   #3

Rat,

I started with a TT 15 years ago and have been pulling a 5er for the last 8 years. Yes TT hitches have improved over the years, the Hensley Arrow is supposed to make a TT feel like pulling a 5er. Personally I like a 5er, it just fits our style of RV'ing. But they are big trailers on average, tall, most at least 10-12' height, and heavy, the new ones seem to keep getting longer and heavier every year. TT on the other hand are lighter in weight generally, smaller, shorter in height, and don't take away the bed of the truck as a 5er does. Pulling will be different because as you know from your 5er, it seems to be part of the truck and does not sway in the wind. On the other hand, a TT will to some extent have wind sway, tail wagging the dog feeling. Other than that, there will be a slight difference in backing as the TT will turn quicker than the 5er. Your hitch weight will vary with added weight you put in the TH causing the back of the truck to squat a little more than a 5er will because of its attachment point. Think about an airbag setup for your truck, it just helps with leveling. But with a good quality hitch and sway control, you should be fine. You definately have enough truck. Just remember, don't always go by the weight sticker on the trailer, as most are going to be off because of added items. And with TH'ers, it's what is added by the owners, TOYS and STUFF, that really cause overloading. What ever your decision, enjoy!!!

Clark

2005 F350 PSD CC DRW Tow Boss
C.CARNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 06:25 PM   #4

We went from a 30' Travel trailer to our 35' fifth wheel. I know for me, after towing the fiver, I will not go back to a TT. We had an Equalizer brand anti-sway weight distributing hitch with the TT. It wasn't the Hensley, but was probably the next best thing. The difference in towing stability between the two rigs with the same truck is like night and day. My fiver is 5' longer and appx. 4K heavier than my old TT. I wouldn't let my wife drive the old set up because of that tail wagging the dog feeling. I have no problem letting her tow the fiver. That pretty much says it all!

& 2 DD's, plus the yellow camping labs.
Sundevil is offline   Reply With Quote