Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:14 PM   #15

Forest River Owners Club
Run the generator! That's what it's made for. Most people are afraid to run them. I have had several types of RVs. Diesel Pusher, 5th Wheel, and Class C. I ran my generator all the time. Onan will tell you that they will not cover warranty if it wasn't run at least 1/2 hour a month. It does more harm by sitting there then by running. Hope this helps

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2012, 06:16 PM   #16

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Started RV'ing in 1957, rental TT with an ice box. In '58 got a TT with a three way refer. HAve always run with the gas on. Never had a problem other than the refer flame blowing out till a baffle was installed.
We've had this rig for over 10 years now, the only time the gas is off is when I have the propane tank filled. I don't turn the refer off when I fuel up. Maybe if we used gas and was at a gas pump I would.
I very seldom need to run the generator while traveling, but do if we need to.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:20 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by timneill View Post
Read an article the other day discussing traveling with the propane on to keep the fridge cool vs. running the generator...As well, if it is safe, can the AC's be running as well?

Wondering what the voices of wisdom and experience out here have to say about this...

Generator runs on gas.

Thanks,
timneill
You did not mention what year and make of your rig. Rigs equipt with an inverter can run on house batteries contrary to some of the comments posted. With an inverter your house batteries will kept charged by your engine so you can go for many miles.

I attended a Cummins class at the Good Sam Rally a while back and was told it is OK to run you GenSet while under way to power your A/C and other 110 appliances. They are designed to be used this way. Depending on the size of your GenSet it consumes < 1gal per hr at full rated output. To help keep your GenSet healthy is to use it!

On my last motor coach I used propane while driving and I never had a problem so if you want to and it is not forbidden by your coach manufacturer then use it. My current coach has a residential frig that only works on 110 and I love it
Old 08-13-2012, 06:24 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVBulldog View Post
Run the generator! That's what it's made for. Most people are afraid to run them. I have had several types of RVs. Diesel Pusher, 5th Wheel, and Class C. I ran my generator all the time. Onan will tell you that they will not cover warranty if it wasn't run at least 1/2 hour a month. It does more harm by sitting there then by running. Hope this helps
Onan has no stipulations that the generator must be run to maintain warranty.

Of course it is recommended to run the generator about an hour every month, but not required to maintain Onan warranty. Keeps everything working and dried out.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:05 AM   #19

Forest River Owners Club
Pusherman: I don't believe that it specifically states that they will void the warranty for under use, however I was advised personally that there may be warranty coverage issues for not following their recommendations. Similar to not changing the oil at recommended times.

I was able to find one of the articles from Onan (bill is management for Onan)

"Bill said that the most common problem that he sees as he travels throughout North America is under use of the generator. He used the term "use it or lose it" to describe the performance of their units, noting that more fail from lack-of-use than over-use. The recommended monthly exercising is to run the generator for a minimum of two (2) hours under half to three quarters load (both air conditioners and an electric heater running) to remove the condensation of water that naturally occurs in RV generators. The use of the generator to power the air conditioners as you travel rather than engine driven air conditioners is also recommended. Not only is it more fuel efficient, the generator also gets the use it needs to perform longer."
Old 08-14-2012, 07:21 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
While traveling we have always used propane for the frig. If it's cold outside, we also run the furnace....duh. The reason RVs come with a gas frig is so you don't have to run the genny.

If it's hot, then we run the genny for the ACs. Our present frig always runs on 'Auto' so if AC is available it will use that, if not, gas.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:07 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherone View Post
How many campers do you see littering the highways all burned up? None! Campers by the 1000's everyday travel the highways safely and most do not burn up! You pay the insurance company to worry about it ; dont you. If it burns up they buy you another one. They pay for your lodging food lost whatever blah blah blah. So someone saw ONE ; please! Defecation occurs ; hell you need to worry about blowouts more than the one in a million accidental fires caused by some weird malfunctioning pilot light. Anyway relax ; too many other things to fret about. larry 30 yrs fire rescue in the armpit of fl.
I never see burned campers littering the highway because Florida DOT gets them cleared away very quickly! However I do see at least one per month burning on the Turnpike. I would stick with using the generator. I have run my house units on generator for 10 years without a problem.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:02 PM   #22

Solo Rvers Club
[QUOTE=RVBulldog ....The use of the generator to power the air conditioners as you travel rather than engine driven air conditioners is also recommended. Not only is it more fuel efficient, the generator also gets the use it needs to perform longer."[/QUOTE]

I realize you are quoting a tech or manager from Onan, but I'm wondering about the validity of the statement about fuel efficiency. How might we arrive at such a claim? Any background info on this? Obviously, the "big" AC would produce more cooling, but I would think the dash air would use less fuel, not more. Just wondering....
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:36 PM   #23

Thanks to all who took time to share their wisdom...much appreciated.

My wife and I are so new to this that the label 'newbie' doesn't quite do it justice...

Never owned a truck or RV/Camper now we have a 2011 Chevy 1 ton dully and a 42' Dutchman Voltage 5th wheel TH...I quess you could say we've jumped off the bridge and are figuring it out on the way down....crazy but we are lovin it.
I am however grateful to have a place to ask questions.

602 days till retirement and full timing it!!! not that we are counting.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:54 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvguy40 View Post
I run my genset to power both a/c's and the refer while traveling. When the weather is nice enough, I leave the refer on LP and open the windows. I've never had an issue in either instance on 5 motorhomes ( #5 is the current coach ). Always always ALWAYS shut refer and genset off while fueling.

Exactly what I do except for running with the windows open. I generally have eaither heat or AC going depending on the time of year.

I've only had 2 motorhomes, but have been doing it since 1996 no problem.

BB
Old 08-14-2012, 03:03 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by timneill View Post
Thanks to all who took time to share their wisdom...much appreciated.

My wife and I are so new to this that the label 'newbie' doesn't quite do it justice...

Never owned a truck or RV/Camper now we have a 2011 Chevy 1 ton dully and a 42' Dutchman Voltage 5th wheel TH...I quess you could say we've jumped off the bridge and are figuring it out on the way down....crazy but we are lovin it.
I am however grateful to have a place to ask questions.

602 days till retirement and full timing it!!! not that we are counting.
Now that statement may change my position...

I didn't realize you were talking about a 5th Wheel. I thought we were talking Motorhome.

This first part is still the same. It is OK to run the refer on propane while you drive down the road.

Wether you can run the generator or not is what I can't answer. On motorhomes, the generator is designed to operate while driving down the road. In the case of a 5th wheel, I'm not so sure. Is the generator vented and have access to cooling air? If it requires you to open a compartment when running, then I'd say NO, but if it is fully vented, I see no reason not to run it.

BB
Old 08-14-2012, 03:53 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwinwilly View Post
Now that statement may change my position...

I didn't realize you were talking about a 5th Wheel. I thought we were talking Motorhome.

This first part is still the same. It is OK to run the refer on propane while you drive down the road.

Wether you can run the generator or not is what I can't answer. On motorhomes, the generator is designed to operate while driving down the road. In the case of a 5th wheel, I'm not so sure. Is the generator vented and have access to cooling air? If it requires you to open a compartment when running, then I'd say NO, but if it is fully vented, I see no reason not to run it.

BB

AHA! You are correct, went back and read the thread again and about 99%
of the replies are from MH owners and the other 1% had nothing realistic
to say. (as usual)
It seems we all missed the fact that this was posted in the 5th wheel/toy
hauler forums.
How about some replies from those owning toy haulers and 5th wheels,
what do you do when traveling?

Old 08-16-2012, 12:25 AM   #27

National RV Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to JMacy
Gen usd less fuel per mile than panel a/c gives us about 1/2mpg better mileage than regular a/c
Run the gen!
Old 08-18-2012, 02:05 AM   #28

Just replaced my fridge with electric..

Tags
generator