Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-20-2012, 01:44 PM   #29
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 19
Sorry for the late reply. My rig is also a 40' toy hauler. We always run the gen while travelling. Runs the A/C's, 2 fridges, and a crock pot. When we arrive, we have a cool rig, cold drinks and hot dinner.
__________________

__________________
kevkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2012, 02:18 PM   #30
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,454
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevkill View Post
Sorry for the late reply. My rig is also a 40' toy hauler. We always run the gen while travelling. Runs the A/C's, 2 fridges, and a crock pot. When we arrive, we have a cool rig, cold drinks and hot dinner.
I love it when a plan comes together
__________________

__________________
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:46 PM   #31
Registered User
 
Forest River Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Western, MA
Posts: 619
Ok, here's an answer from someone who has a 5th wheel toyhauler. Of course you can run the generator while traveling. It's an identical setup to a MH. And to address another point, of course you leave your propane on to run the fridge when not using the genset while traveling. The whole pilot light thing is nonsense. There are no pilot lights on furnaces, fridges, or hot water tanks on RV's anymore. It's all DSI.
__________________
taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:46 AM   #32
Senior Member
 
RickS's Avatar
 
Excel Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Edmonton,AB Canada
Posts: 564
We have a Onan Quiet Diesel 7500 in our TH and have no problems running the generator when travelling and air conditioning is required. But, most of the time we just turn on the inverter and run on AC power since the batteries are being charge by the (TV)Tow Vehicle and solar panels. Having the fridge on propane while travelling is the last option and, I don't have any concerns about running the fridge on propane while travelling if I have to.
__________________
Rick & Carey
2012 Excel W41GKE Wild Cargo
(2015 Volvo 730, D13, I-shift, 500/1850) (2015 GMC 3500 Denali D/A 4X4 Dually)
RickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:32 PM   #33
CBQ
Member
 
CBQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by taken View Post
The whole pilot light thing is nonsense. There are no pilot lights on furnaces, fridges, or hot water tanks on RV's anymore. It's all DSI.
Good point. Also: remember the Norcold fridges that got recalled for catching on fire? That happened most often when the fridges were running on AC, not on propane.

I just leave it on auto, run the generator if I need the big AC, run on propane if I don't. Works fine either way.
__________________
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:36 PM   #34
Member
 
Idleup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSP1268 View Post
We can honostly say we have never ran with the fridge on propane. As for that matter we don't use propane at all for the fridge. We nearly always run the generator and have never had any sort of problem. And if and when the fridge dies we will put in a residential fridge.
I sure would not run the generator to power the frige I've been motoring since 1978 and my frige runs fine on propane - you have a better chance of being struck by lighting then having a fire from a frige running.

Regards
__________________
Idleup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:52 PM   #35
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: texas
Posts: 2,267
My 1985 662 is still going 24 a day I run 11 unles gen is running
__________________
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:39 PM   #36
Member
 
trackeer's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Nashua NH
Posts: 83
We own a gen equipped boat and run the gen whenever we're on the hook as well underway.
Based on that experience we purchased or first RV, a Cyclone 3814 and run the gen on the road all the time.
As for refrigerators our less than 2 year old Dometic crapped out, hopefully soon fixed under warranty. As for propane there are many issues around the net regarding fires, not sure but if needed I run on propane and leave it set to auto. Course it didn't matter we tossed over a hundred bucks in foodm
__________________
trackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:58 AM   #37
Member
 
Idleup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 58
Just don't get it - why stack unnecessary hours on a generator especially when fuel is $4.00 a gallon. Bottom line since the fridge uses such low current you're wasting 90% of the power generated since they run at high rpm regardless of load.
__________________
Idleup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:10 AM   #38
Registered User
 
Forest River Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Western, MA
Posts: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idleup View Post
Just don't get it - why stack unnecessary hours on a generator especially when fuel is $4.00 a gallon. Bottom line since the fridge uses such low current you're wasting 90% of the power generated since they run at high rpm regardless of load.
Agreed. An RV fridge is designed to run on propane while traveling. Running the AC on the gen is one thing. To be run the fridge on it is wasteful and unnecessary.
__________________
taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:25 AM   #39
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,454
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by taken

Agreed. An RV fridge is designed to run on propane while traveling. Running the AC on the gen is one thing. To be run the fridge on it is wasteful and unnecessary.
I have a residential frig that can run on the inverter (2000W) while traveling down the road. The only time I run the gen set is during the summer to operate the a/c. My last RV had a propane frig and I will never own another. From off to cold took a long time whereas my residential frig will be making ice with in 1/2 hour of turning it on. The power draw is low so my 4 6V batteries will run the frig and other electronics for some time before I need to start the gen set to recharge if I am boon docking. While boon docking the holding tanks are a bigger issue then keeping things cold/frozen using my residential frig.
__________________
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:30 AM   #40
Registered User
 
Forest River Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Western, MA
Posts: 619
I think your rig is in a different classification Jack. Us TT, 5ver, toyhauler 5th wheel owners don't have the option or space for a residential unit. I'm also wondering if you had a bad propane unit in the past. Ours gets ice cold in an hour or so.
__________________
taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:46 AM   #41
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,454
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by taken
I think your rig is in a different classification Jack. Us TT, 5ver, toyhauler 5th wheel owners don't have the option or space for a residential unit. I'm also wondering if you had a bad propane unit in the past. Ours gets ice cold in an hour or so.
Never owning a 5th wheel and I did not know there was such a difference as to room for residential frig, inverters, batteries, etc. I figured if a 5er had a gen set and could be run while underway these other items would be available. I have been in some very nice and spacious 5th wheels at shows and just assumed that they were set up like MH's. If we are just talking about TT's and 5th wheels I will back out of the discussion and just read with interest...thanks!
__________________
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:10 AM   #42
Registered User
 
Forest River Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Western, MA
Posts: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
Never owning a 5th wheel and I did not know there was such a difference as to room for residential frig, inverters, batteries, etc. I figured if a 5er had a gen set and could be run while underway these other items would be available. I have been in some very nice and spacious 5th wheels at shows and just assumed that they were set up like MH's. If we are just talking about TT's and 5th wheels I will back out of the discussion and just read with interest...thanks!
I'm sure some are Jack. Mine, I'd loose the pantry and have issues with the slider to the garage if I wanted a residential setup. I did look into it by the way and I agree if all things are equal, I'd prefer it! Then again, I never seem to need more than what's in my little 8 footer so I guess I'm ok the way I am. YMMV of course.
__________________

__________________
taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
generator



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.