Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:23 AM   #43

I have owned 8 motorhomes in my time and never had an issue with the fridge. When there is ac it runs on ac and when there isnt , propane did the job. I keep them on auto all the time. I let the insurance co worry about what ifs ; thats what they are paid for.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2012, 07:05 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
I have a residential frig that can run on the inverter (2000W) while traveling down the road. The only time I run the gen set is during the summer to operate the a/c. My last RV had a propane frig and I will never own another. From off to cold took a long time whereas my residential frig will be making ice with in 1/2 hour of turning it on. The power draw is low so my 4 6V batteries will run the frig and other electronics for some time before I need to start the gen set to recharge if I am boon docking. While boon docking the holding tanks are a bigger issue then keeping things cold/frozen using my residential frig.
The residential or better termed Non-RV fridge is Ok for the Prevost Group but is not the ticket for the average RV or motorhome for mortals - Its a cop-out for the manufactures so they don't have to sepend the big bucks on those costly (Big) 3-way RV fridges.

The propane unit is the best thing that ever happened to RV's. I can camp out for two weeks in a field and never worry about my inverters, or starting the generator constantly or burning half to a gallon of expensive gas or diesel an hour to charge my battery because my fridge won't run on propane. The real beauty of a propane fridge is they are super economical, you only have to fill the propane tank once or twice a season.

Regards!

Mike

Old 09-11-2012, 10:29 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idleup View Post
The residential or better termed Non-RV fridge is Ok for the Prevost Group but is not the ticket for the average RV or motorhome for mortals - Its a cop-out for the manufactures so they don't have to sepend the big bucks on those costly (Big) 3-way RV fridges.

The propane unit is the best thing that ever happened to RV's. I can camp out for two weeks in a field and never worry about my inverters, or starting the generator constantly or burning half to a gallon of expensive gas or diesel an hour to charge my battery because my fridge won't run on propane. The real beauty of a propane fridge is they are super economical, you only have to fill the propane tank once or twice a season.

Regards!

Mike
Mike,
My comments that you referenced was my personal experience and preference. If you choose to use propane that is your personal experience and preference. The end result, the both of us are happy with our choice.
I do not understand all of your comments regarding those folks that have expensive RV’s? I have an entry level DP with a residential frig (non-RV) and there are several threads on this forum explaining how people are replacing their propane frig with a “Non-RV” model. Like me they made a choice and they are happy with their decision. I may be wrong but these folks do not own high end, expensive RV’s, they are everyday mortals like you and hopefully me.
Regards,
Jack
Old 09-11-2012, 11:03 AM   #46

Excel Owners Club
Jack,

Our 5th wheel TH is set up very much like your unit. Excel has the option for the residential fridges in their units. Since we never know when we will be on the grid we opted for the propane/AC fridge. With two 40lb tanks the stove/fridge/furnace can run for quite awhile. In the warm summer months we switch on the inverter and run the fridge on AC power because the 705 watt solar system can easily keep up with the draw of the fridge on AC. The only time we run the Onan QD7500 diesel generator is for the air conditioning when not connected to shore power. This combination gave us the best flexibility for our lifestyle on and off grid.
RickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:43 AM   #47

Quote:
Mike,
My comments that you referenced was my personal experience and preference. If you choose to use propane that is your personal experience and preference. The end result, the both of us are happy with our choice.
I do not understand all of your comments regarding those folks that have expensive RV’s? I have an entry level DP with a residential frig (non-RV) and there are several threads on this forum explaining how people are replacing their propane frig with a “Non-RV” model. Like me they made a choice and they are happy with their decision. I may be wrong but these folks do not own high end, expensive RV’s, they are everyday mortals like you and hopefully me.
Regards,
Jack
No offense - this so called residential (house) fridges started in high end units with inverters and now manufactures stick them in everything to save the cost of not installing a 3way system. The only point I'm making is your wasting both your generators life and fuel running a generator for the minimal task of keeping the fridge running.

Best regards

Mike
Old 09-12-2012, 07:31 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idleup View Post
No offense - this so called residential (house) fridges started in high end units with inverters and now manufactures stick them in everything to save the cost of not installing a 3way system. The only point I'm making is your wasting both your generators life and fuel running a generator for the minimal task of keeping the fridge running.

Best regards

Mike
Mike,
I was not offended, I didn’t understand your comments and how it applied to my previous post…enough said on that subject.
I have owned both types and based on my RVing lifestyle I prefer the residential type frig. I do little boondocking so I do not need to run the gen set solely to recharge the batteries to keep our frig running. The batteries will keeps things going for 10—12 hours via the inverter so it would see us through the night if we were staying at Walmart in route to some place. While underway the engine alternator keeps the batteries charged and the frig and other electronics powered. I do run the gen set underway if I need to run the a/c but not for the frig. The biggest selling point, my DW loves this frig so when she is happy, I am happy!
Thanks!
Jack
Old 09-13-2012, 08:09 AM   #49

Quote:
Mike,
I was not offended, I didn’t understand your comments and how it applied to my previous post…enough said on that subject.
I have owned both types and based on my RVing lifestyle I prefer the residential type frig. I do little boondocking so I do not need to run the gen set solely to recharge the batteries to keep our frig running. The batteries will keeps things going for 10—12 hours via the inverter so it would see us through the night if we were staying at Walmart in route to some place. While underway the engine alternator keeps the batteries charged and the frig and other electronics powered. I do run the gen set underway if I need to run the a/c but not for the frig. The biggest selling point, my DW loves this frig so when she is happy, I am happy!
Thanks!
Jack
Jack,

No problem - I was not trying to be offensive in any way - enjoy your coach!

Best Regards

Tags
generator