Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2014, 02:18 PM   #15

If your going to use a dump valve you require an air suspension a better option may be a steer axel front or rear.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2014, 02:29 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
One of the fellows I chum with has replaced the triaxle with two dual axles.
Old 06-14-2014, 07:30 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
One of the fellows I chum with has replaced the triaxle with two dual axles.
In order to maintain the same balance - I would think that when he did this that he would have had to center the mid-point of the two axles directly at the triaxle's center axle. This would necessitate a bit of bodywork for fenders etc.

Had he been blowing tires off the front or rear axle and that is what caused him to change?
How does he like it now?
Still studying various options here. There are numerous vendors of air-ride "type" solutions as well.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:14 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Foot View Post
In order to maintain the same balance - I would think that when he did this that he would have had to center the mid-point of the two axles directly at the triaxle's center axle. This would necessitate a bit of bodywork for fenders etc.

Had he been blowing tires off the front or rear axle and that is what caused him to change?
How does he like it now?
Still studying various options here. There are numerous vendors of air-ride "type" solutions as well.
Not sure exactly why. He was unhappy with the triaxle and decided he would change it so he did. He does stuff like that "just because he can".
Old 06-16-2014, 05:32 AM   #19

Okay Gordon... Thanks for the info.. While I'm pretty good with my hands and have a shop full of fabrication equipment, it would still be a ton of work to change over just because I wanted to..
Old 06-16-2014, 10:09 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Okay Gordon... Thanks for the info.. While I'm pretty good with my hands and have a shop full of fabrication equipment, it would still be a ton of work to change over just because I wanted to..
I agree. IMO it would be most practical to leave the triaxle the way it is. The extra work and cost to try to save a couple tires may be excessive compared to buying new tires.

Since most tires will age out before they mile out the tires may last their effective life.

Now if you were to do it for a conversation starter - now that would be something.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:50 AM   #21

Well then, we've come full circle on this and I will yield.

If I believed that the tires would "age out" prior to any stress related failures from manuevering, I wouldn't be looking for alternatives.

I'll figure out something and once I do - I'll share it...

Thanks all...
Old 06-19-2014, 07:57 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Well then, we've come full circle on this and I will yield.

If I believed that the tires would "age out" prior to any stress related failures from manuevering, I wouldn't be looking for alternatives.

I'll figure out something and once I do - I'll share it...

Thanks all...
Not sure how many miles you are planning to haul each year. I have a 2005 and put on about 5000 miles per year. The tires are still in good shape with tread and lack of cracking (I just inspected them). I rotated the tires a couple years ago when I had the bearing repacked.

I am following a thread regarding tire age vs tire wear. Lots of annecdotal information from tire manufacturers sites, actual experience etc about tire failures from age 6 on. I believe tires are one of the "forgotten" items and in many cases lack of maintenance leads to premature failure.

I do believe that a tire failure on any RV leads to extra damages which are generally costly.

I will not find out how the tires on the 5er will age because I am in the process of moving to a coach.

I will watch the thread with interest and look forward to your solution. As with my friend it is always interesting to see someone go outside the box to come up with an inovative solution. Perhaps we will see the Big Foot Triaxle in future versions of large trailers. I know I would feel more comfortable if the trailer pulled easier in tight turns and the axles did not warp over like they do now.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:12 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
It can be done. Balloon axles are very common in the trucking industry. The question is, would it be feasible? Some dump trucks have 3 or 4 balloon axles.

2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:41 PM   #24

Forest River Owners Club
MOR/ryde Products this is the type of axles under my trailer, I would thing think this system would be much easier to lift an axle off the ground maybe with an air ram set up, thus allowing the ram to float with the movement of the axle, then when needed use it to pull up the axle, remember a ram can be used in either direction pushing or pulling WP36794 Double Acting Round Air Cylinder, Pivot Mount, 1-1/16" Bore Diameter - Grainger Industrial Supply
2007 Forest River fifth wheel toy hauler 385 RLTS, 1999 Freightliner FL-60 with Western Hauler bed, new 3126B CAT motor, new Allison MD3060 transmission, air ride rear suspension, air ride cab, air ride seats
JEEPOHOLIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 10:09 PM   #25

Great stuff guys!!!!

Thanks for all the ideas and links. That MOR/ryde looks like the bee's knees!