Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-11-2006, 08:06 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
OK Guys and Girls, this is not meant to start a brand war so PLEASE, think about that before you post. OK!

I'm thinking that several of you have mentioned about mods to your truck, whether needed or just for show. I'd like for you to post here the things you have done to either make your truck ride better while towing or make it tow better or things you have done that create problems while towing your toyhaulers. All of the above, OK. Lets see what happens! Thanks all.

Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2006, 08:06 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
OK Guys and Girls, this is not meant to start a brand war so PLEASE, think about that before you post. OK!

I'm thinking that several of you have mentioned about mods to your truck, whether needed or just for show. I'd like for you to post here the things you have done to either make your truck ride better while towing or make it tow better or things you have done that create problems while towing your toyhaulers. All of the above, OK. Lets see what happens! Thanks all.

Old 07-11-2006, 08:16 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
I'll start things off by talking about the things that I have done to my Chevy 3500 Dually. I added a Edge products box, a power adder that really helped the Duramax pull my 24k gross combined weight without downshifting while on cruise. The other big change was removing the snubbers from the overload springs on the rear of the overload springs which really helped the ride with a pin weight of around 32-3400 lbs. Over that I would recommend leaving them on. The other thing is to replace the rear end grease with 70-140, I almost burned up the rear end by pulling about 12 hrs at 75 with the stock 70-90 in 100 degree heat, burned the paint off the differential and part way out toward the axle shafts. All you could see was the burned red area on the rear end cover where the ring gear ran. Scared the dickens out of me but changed the grease and put the heavier stuff in and no problems since. Added running boards to keep the road tar off the sides, a bug shield to protect the hood, and a 5th wheel turbo net tailgate to make hooking and unhooking much easier.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:37 PM   #4

I'll participate...

The X has Firestone Airbags, with onboard compressor and 3 gallon tank... the stock X springs are sooooo soft... pointless to tow with really. The stock shocks were toast, so it also has Skyjacker nitro shocks on all 4 corners... for looks, it has an 1.5" add-a-leaf in front to level it out. 33" tires from the 31" stock, which other than looks, hurts the towing prowess... sucks. I have a K&N drop in filter, 4" MBRP exhaust, and a DieselsWest "chip". The chip/intake/exhaust combo really perked up the 7.3L. Oh, and to top it all off, X-Monitor guages, to keep track of all the mods.

Forgot the 2.5" class V hitch.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:09 PM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">OK Guys and Girls, this is not meant to start a brand war so PLEASE, think about that before you post. OK! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow Tom...sounds like you're a little shameful of the brand you bought... ... got to add all that stuff just to get thru the school zone. You know I just had to...

Well...added XM Radio, my extra pair of readin' glasses, our Garmin GPS, and oh...forgot the Firestone airbags. Oh geesh...forgot the bug shield.

No.....really! Cain't screw with the 100,000 mile warranty I've got on the Six-Oh, so I'll live with it. I hope that I don't have to have a "News at 11" when we tackle the Kennedy Meadows grade on Thursday. I might have to show some humbleness if I do...

Dang...forgot the garage door opener...and the 5vr hitch...
Old 07-12-2006, 03:50 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Wow Tom...sounds like you're a little shameful of the brand you bought... ... got to add all that stuff just to get thru the school zone. You know I just had to... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>There's always one! You know, I almost deleted this after thinking about it because its kind of off topic for the forum but what the heck, we're always off topic anyway and I thought it might help some of us learn ways to help tow these big puppy's better.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:46 AM   #7

I added XM radio. I also added DR leveling kit with DR Signature shocks on all 4 corners, 35x12.5x18 Procomp Extreme All Terrains, and a Pullrite Super 5th hitch on super rails. That's about it so far.

2006 WW LE3305 Billet
sandjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 12:36 PM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vette Racer:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Wow Tom...sounds like you're a little shameful of the brand you bought... ... got to add all that stuff just to get thru the school zone. You know I just had to... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>There's always one! You know, I almost deleted this after thinking about it because its kind of off topic for the forum but what the heck, we're always off topic anyway and I thought it might help some of us learn ways to help tow these big puppy's better. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tom: In all seriousness, this is a GREAT topic for all of us, but you may want to link it to the "Towing Issues" Forum to get some more vision.

Oh...and BTW...we're off this afternoon for the official vacation up to Kennedy Meadows...everyone have fun!

Sean
Old 07-12-2006, 04:52 PM   #9

04 cc srw 4x4 f-350

tinted windows
2" pro comp leveling kit
xm radio
air bags
reese 16k 5er
Next on the list...intake / exhaust / chip..not sure whos yet

all the stuff you need to.git-r-done !
Old 07-12-2006, 11:02 PM   #10

Hey Everybody,

I am in the same position as Sean....Can't mess with the 100K warranty on the 6.0. I did the Sirius satelite radio, spray in bedliner, flush mount tool box. I did a bunch of reading on Propane injection systems for diesels....I thought they looked cool and had some very impressive perfomance specs....I think if I couldn't pull my TT over some grades I would put a new exhaust system and the propane system in the truck. The stock shocks are fairly crappy....I may upgrade those to the rancho's someday when I have some money to kick around. I did install a class V titan receiver on the vehicle.

James

2006 F-350 CC, Diesel, SRW, LB
jab3143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 04:50 PM   #11

Heck,, Just got my truck...
Lets see,,, GPS... Spray in Bedliner.. 16K 5er Hitch.. Driver,, Passenger.. Cell phone charger..
Thats it...
Jab.. My 06 came with Rancho's... good shocks,, it is just that the I-5 is rougher than an Oklahoma Freeway..

2006 Ford King Ranch F350DW 4X4 w/Towpac 6.0
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 08:43 PM   #12

Oh Tom, where to begin!

1) I would say the obvious is the 6.5 inch lift and 37" tires. Proably not the best for towing a fifth wheel, but it looks great, and little kids (myself included) love it.

2) Billet Grill
3) 55 gal fuel tank(which allows me to go to Vegas and back on a little more that half a tank, not pulling the trailer.)
4) Edge Power Programer
5) K&N air intake
6) Banks exhaust
7) Mag Hi-Tech tranny pan and dif cover.
8) As of a week ago, new over built tranny.
9) DVD stereo(for the kids)

I would say I am mostly happy with all the mods, and all could be done on either GM of Ford. The one draw back I can see was the lift and tires which slowed down my truck and I had to modify my trailer to help it work. Flpping the axles was the solution for the trailer but with the truck I had to add the exsaust and intake then the programer. That with the tires and lift proably helped burn up the tranny at 70k miles, but it could have been the 15k lbs. trailer also.

As far as favorite mods, I would have to go with the bigger fuel tank. I wish I would have done that the day I bought it.

Looking at this list, I realize I have spent a lot of money here, but bare in mind, the way truck prices are going, I will proably have this truck for a long time, so I might as well enjoy driving it.

Rod

WW LE3505
melon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 07:47 AM   #13

My brother travels around the country for Cummins inc, training Cummins engine techs on the latest and greatest info for Cummins. Once he got over the fact that I actually bought a Duramax, the one mod he insisted upon was a pyrometer (Exhaust Gas Temperature). He told me the number one killer for diesel engines was putting a load on them (towing up a grade) in too high a gear (overdrive) and having that turbo force feeding the engine and dangerously raising the EGT. After installing the pyrometer I can easily see what he's talking about. If I leave it in overdrive on a long grade, the truck will pull it, but I can literally watch the EGT climb. Push my little overdrive button to get out of overdrive which raises the rpm's a bit and those temps start dropping. I think this is a must do mod for anybody hauling a heavy load with there, DMax,Cummins or ford diesel....

Weekend Warrior FS2600
Quadhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 12:17 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
4" exhaust no cat, Xm radio, inverter to charge laptop or drill or whatever needs 120 volts, highway tool boxes, air masters for the rears,
oil guard, coolant filter, exhaust gauge and tranny temp, leds under the tailgate (good for 1.0 mpg gain) mandatory mud flaps (tx)

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote