Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2015, 07:22 PM   #1

TST Tire Monitor

I just bought a TST 507 tire monitor system, pressure limits I think I get, alarm at -10% of cold psi and + 20% but what temp settings should I use? Ambient plus ????? What absolute temperature is a problem.
737Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2015, 07:25 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I was told to leave them as set from TST. Seems to me that was something like 158 degrees.
Yep, just went to the TST site and downloaded the manual. The info is on page 5 of the one online and 158 is correct.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:42 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I use -10% and +20% based of the pressure required in the tires to support my weight. As far as temp, the most I've seen is 118* with the ambient being 108*.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:46 PM   #4

I've used a TST system for years on various trailers. The temperature alarm (to me) is more useful for early detection of a brake/wheel bearing problem. For a tire to get hot enough to set off the alarm it would have either: a: be far under inflated (in which case the pressure alarm would have already gone off) or b: be far overloaded (in which case you have problems a tire monitor isn't going to solve). So what I did was leave the factory setting until I had a chance to get out on the road and get a good feel for what the max "normal" temperature was for my tire tires, on my rig, with my driving habits and load, and then I set the monitors about 10 degrees higher than that. The 10 degree spread eliminates the alarm going off for the occasional temp spike, but tells me if there is a problem building up. It will occasionally give me a false alarm as it turns out tire temperature is VERY sensitive to things like load, driving speed, weather (drive into rain and your tire temps drops 10-20 degrees instantly), sun/shade, etc., but I'd rather glance down for a false alarm once in a while than have it set too high and not find a potential problem soon enough.
dduerden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 05:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dduerden View Post
I've used a TST system for years on various trailers. The temperature alarm (to me) is more useful for early detection of a brake/wheel bearing problem. For a tire to get hot enough to set off the alarm it would have either: a: be far under inflated (in which case the pressure alarm would have already gone off) or b: be far overloaded (in which case you have problems a tire monitor isn't going to solve). So what I did was leave the factory setting until I had a chance to get out on the road and get a good feel for what the max "normal" temperature was for my tire tires, on my rig, with my driving habits and load, and then I set the monitors about 10 degrees higher than that. The 10 degree spread eliminates the alarm going off for the occasional temp spike, but tells me if there is a problem building up. It will occasionally give me a false alarm as it turns out tire temperature is VERY sensitive to things like load, driving speed, weather (drive into rain and your tire temps drops 10-20 degrees instantly), sun/shade, etc., but I'd rather glance down for a false alarm once in a while than have it set too high and not find a potential problem soon enough.
Very many thanks, sounds like sage advice.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:34 PM   #6

I used to have my monitors on a triaxle race car trailer that was in fact far overloaded and I had a lot of tire problems so I spent about 2 summers with my eyes glued to the tire monitor. Learned a lot about how load and speed quickly effect temp and pressure. I swapped that trailer to 17.5 tires and literally never had another tire problem, but I am now a huge advocate for tpms systems. From a strictly cost standpoint, I saved a number of tires over the years that had a slow leak or picked up a nail, and the monitor went off in enough time that I could pull over and change the tire before it blew and saved the tire. And usually gave you time to continue to a safe place to change it. So if you figure the cost of a tire, if you save two tires in the life of the unit, you paid for it. And that is assuming the tire didn't blow and rip out half your plumbing and the fenderwell on the camper.
Old 08-19-2015, 06:50 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
I'm considering adding TPMS to my 1998 National Dolphin with tag axel.

I agree that for the cost of a couple of tires would make the benefit of having TPMS worth while. Can you give me a ballpark figure of what the project would cost and is it a do-it-yourself project?

Thanks,
Bud
bud01234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 05:45 PM   #8

I bought enough sensors to equip my truck too but was concerned they may interfere with the OEM tpms so I sent an email to Truck Systems but didn't get a reply. So for now I'm just putting them on the 4 trailer tires. Guess I need to call them.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:06 AM   #9

you can buy them direct at Truck System Technologies or from dealers, I bought my first setup at camping world, but I believe they carry a different brand now. I bought my latest letup direct because I had dealt with the guys there a few times for warranty and they were always great to deal with. Systems start at $259 for four tires and go up from there. It works out to $50 per additional sensor. I always used to just do the trailer, because on a big triaxle trailer you literally can't even tell when you blow a tire unless you happen to have the window down and hear it pop or see chunks coming off in the mirror. But this last time I bought a 12 tire setup so I could cover the (mdt) truck as well, most because I am lazy and inners are a pain in the ass to check with a gauge with my aluminum wheels. I would suggest the flow through sensors for ease of topping off tires, and they are also brass construction which I like. Speaking of lazy, it is really nice to not have to hit all 12 tires with a gauge before I hit the road every trip. Added bonus time saver.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 737Captain View Post
I bought enough sensors to equip my truck too but was concerned they may interfere with the OEM tpms so I sent an email to Truck Systems but didn't get a reply. So for now I'm just putting them on the 4 trailer tires. Guess I need to call them.

Why would you want them if your truck already has them? I don't think the trucks are wireless so they shouldn't interfere, at least they weren't wireless on my F250. For some reason Ford doesn't put them on their dually's. I bought the Tireminder TPMS for my Fuzion and liked them the few times I used them. I kept them so I'll put them on my new toy hauler whenever I purchase it.
C130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 02:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by C130 View Post
Why would you want them if your truck already has them? I don't think the trucks are wireless so they shouldn't interfere, at least they weren't wireless on my F250. For some reason Ford doesn't put them on their dually's. I bought the Tireminder TPMS for my Fuzion and liked them the few times I used them. I kept them so I'll put them on my new toy hauler whenever I purchase it.
Because my truck only monitors pressure and these sensors monitor temperature too. Just maybe you can stop a blowout and subsequent tire destruction by seeing an unusual temperature rise due to bearings, load, stuck brake or a combination of all of those things.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:53 PM   #12

With a system that monitors both temp and pressure, you can keep an eye on more issues. Say a bearing starts going out and starts generating a little heat. That heat is picked up by the tire, and you see 1 tire hotter than the other. In our case I saw 1 wheel creeping up to about 150-160* while the others were at 115-120*. Stopped, used the IR gu and saw that I had a hub at 200 degrees... Never-Lube bearing separated. No damage, no drama, easy fix, and on our way.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:49 PM   #13

TST Tire Monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 737Captain View Post
Because my truck only monitors pressure and these sensors monitor temperature too. Just maybe you can stop a blowout and subsequent tire destruction by seeing an unusual temperature rise due to bearings, load, stuck brake or a combination of all of those things.

You must be towing with a RAM just kidding, I couldn't resist.
C130 is offline   Reply With Quote