Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2005, 03:31 PM   #1

This is my first post in this forum. We currently tow a '99 Wanderer 217 and have been very happy with it's performance and longevity. We're soon upgrading the TV to a Duramax/Allison so can tow something bigger with a bedroom (biggest complaint on the Wanderer is climbing the stupid ladder every night). We're considering anything, the only limiting factor is 28' box length on the TH for storage reasons. We looked at the Desert Fox and the wife fell in love. She insists on a walk around bed and their TT has one. I would like a 5er for towing reasons and the dedicated bedroom. I know I'm opening up a can of worms but give me your opinions.
Naykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2005, 03:31 PM   #2

This is my first post in this forum. We currently tow a '99 Wanderer 217 and have been very happy with it's performance and longevity. We're soon upgrading the TV to a Duramax/Allison so can tow something bigger with a bedroom (biggest complaint on the Wanderer is climbing the stupid ladder every night). We're considering anything, the only limiting factor is 28' box length on the TH for storage reasons. We looked at the Desert Fox and the wife fell in love. She insists on a walk around bed and their TT has one. I would like a 5er for towing reasons and the dedicated bedroom. I know I'm opening up a can of worms but give me your opinions.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:07 PM   #3

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
Naykid
Welcome to iRV2 and to the 'haulers area !

I'll give you one opinion right off the bat,
that Dura/Ally is an good choice.
I've always driven Fords, but a guy that i work with a lot who owns an earth moving business swears by that D/A and this guy treats trucks like trucks. I'v driven his truck a handful of times after he has towed with it from Alaska to Baja and back and forth, sometimes stopping only for dinner at my house, and that tranny is a puncher.

The Desert Fox enjoys a good rep, but I have never had one and don't know how it weighs up against the others.
The front bedroom has been a BIG plus for us as we also moved from a 22' to a 33' for esentially the same reason. But if your storage area only holds a 28', good luck in finding a Desert 5er, i thought they were bigger.

Post away with what you find as you compare a couple different models of toyhaulers. A lot of these manufacturers use the same components, now they're trying to outdo themselves with their main structure.
Good for us,
Mike
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 07:35 PM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'll give you one opinion right off the bat,
that Dura/Ally is an good choice.
I've always driven Fords, but a guy that i work with a lot who owns an earth moving business swears by that D/A and this guy treats trucks like trucks. I'v driven his truck a handful of times after he has towed with it from Alaska to Baja and back and forth, sometimes stopping only for dinner at my house, and that tranny is a puncher......Mike </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
WOW.

Can we post this at the Duramax forums?

Previous Rig: 2012 Itasca 30'
56Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 06:27 AM   #5

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
i reckon so,
but for 'equal time' endorsement you will also have to post a picture of Otto standing next to his truck too.
This guy is a real poster-child of the kind of guy it takes to run a heavy equipment business out of Fairbanks. Chevrolet might just have another preference for spokeman.

Naykid, hows that DesertF coming along?
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 06:53 AM   #6

The desert fox we were looking at was a TT. The only 5ers I've found that are around 28' are Thor CA and rampage. I think someone said KZ has a short 5er too. The fox looked like a well built rig with a few nice touches, not much outside storage but a TON of interior storage.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:59 PM   #7

Naykid:

Welcome! You have just joined a great crowd!

Whatever you do, go the 5er route...talking about a nice pull- you can't go wrong.

I'm not much on all the different varieties, but I know they're out there. We did look at the Tahoe units years ago, and we have a few friends that have them- ever since they locked on to that 2 tear warranty thing, they've been pretty reliable (and we are off-road MOST of the time- campsites are just a luxury to us now).

Good luck on your choices- don't be afraid to clam back in here and ask any questions you may have!
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kz-rv