Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:42 PM   #1

W/D worth it?

Re: W/D's - wondering if you experienced RV'ers use them or if you find it's just easier to hit a laundromat? The W/D's in TH's are so small.....are they worth the expense and the space they take? Thank you!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2015, 01:19 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On the occasion of your first 2 posts after being a member for over a year...

To equip or not equip with a laundry machine onboard is a personal decision. It's often asked in the full-timers Forum.

We do not have it in our Toy Hauler, but others have added it to theirs of the same model.

We do not full-time, so on the occasion that our pack of cloths is used-up, we hit a laundrymat and use several machines at once.

RV laundry machines are small and are most efficient for small loads. And being 110V vs. 240V, drying can take longer periods of time than a typical home style...does that work for you?

Best luck

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 06:36 AM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to normandlegra
We do have one in our mh and we are not full timer but we use our mh for at least 6 months a year as our second home on wheels.
We both hate loosing time at the landromat facilities; nothing better then doing your laundry in your own équipment; it is smaller for sure, instead of making 1 to 4 large washes a week, we do one small one every day that suits us; we even tried it travelling down the road and it works just fine !
Old 06-23-2015, 06:50 AM   #4

I full-time and would NOT be without my Splendide 2000. Yes the loads are small but it sure beats sitting around a laundromat. At the very least I know what was last washed in the machine. With what I've seen, others are not so choosy over the things they put into the machines in laundromats. Yuck. Plus, I love using only a tablespoon of detergent and softener per load. One small bottle of HGE will last me a year. Yep, it is worth it to me.
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 07:24 AM   #5

Its so personal. We have fulltimed for 8 years. Have whirlpool stackables. They do a nice size load. Not having them onboard would be a deal killer for me
We love to dry camp once in awhile and having to tote stuff in and out to go to laundromat is a pain
Some want the extra storage space. My theory is that I don't need that. I can do my laundry so there for I need fewer clothes
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 07:31 AM   #6

We use out stacked washer & dryer all the time. Yes. Smaller loads but you can do them while your doing other things. No setting around watching the machines.

We have at times ran ours while on the road. We for sure would not be without ours.

Russell
Old 06-23-2015, 05:44 PM   #7

Thank you all very much. Great input! We're now thinking the benefits outweigh the costs. Thanks again:-)
Old 06-23-2015, 06:11 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forgot to mention...commercial laundry machines are on-site at many, many campgrounds.

It's not like you have to drive the RV to a Strip Mall to find a coin-op "Crusty-Duds" Laundroteria. But the people watchin' at those places IS World Class.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 03:14 PM   #9

We found a used one on Craigslist and put it in our toy hauler and so far we have loved it. Do a small load about everyday and when you return home there is very little laundry to do. Also we could wash our fishing clothes and have them ready for the next trip. It's well worth it to us but you have to be careful not to over load it.
Old 06-28-2015, 04:06 PM   #10

Official iRV2 Sponsor

There have been innumerable threads on this subject in the past couple of years. The answers here already cover most of the significant arguments pro and con. Basically, the RV world is divided into two camps, those who wouldn't be without a w/d and those who adamantly don't want one. Decide for yourself since neither group is ever going to convince the other.
docj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 04:30 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a combo unit. Also are once a month weekenders, with a couple three week long trips a year. We seldom use it, as we have enough clothes for the time we are out. The times we have used it the small size and slow dry are problematic.

For a next coach, that will be with us into retirement when we plan to travel more, a stacked separate units is on the wish list.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 04:39 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleyhauler View Post
Re: W/D's - wondering if you experienced RV'ers use them or if you find it's just easier to hit a laundromat? The W/D's in TH's are so small.....are they worth the expense and the space they take? Thank you!
Hello! Here is another thread going on about them Washer and Dryer or not? , and if you do a search, using the search bar at the top of the page, you will find more reading on this subject. We have full size Kenmore's , and after having them, will never be without them.