Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2017, 03:43 PM   #1

Want a new toy hauler, but giving up quickly

Last rv owned was a 75 Airstream, and should have never sold it for $5500 as it would be worth 10K just sitting there. Quality was like a tank. We wanted an Airstream now, but they are pricey (hold their value better than anything), but decided the bumper pull toy hauler like the Winnebago 29KS offer the best of all worlds, enough space, enough privacy (closed bunkroom or closed garage would be better but we are ok without), and the option to carry a golf cart. Problem is the more we read, the more reviews, the more we realize most companies are selling out to bigger companies and that rv's are just purely junk being manufactured like a test tube virus.

Every time we find a new rv choice like a Grand Design 328M ( we can do 5th wheel), then we see Winnebago bought them and there goes what quality they had. It seems like we are on the merry go round always coming up with the same quality crap build issues. Then add how many dealers won't service things or back up with work for months, it gets more discouraging.

I looked at numerous like Sundowner and man that is very cool, but what little info I can find, very pricey. I have read this forum up and down, seems like nobody can actually commit to saying certain rv's are the best.

What happened to American pride? Quality? OH yea, CEO's bonuses, and stockholders profits.

[Mod Edited]
dannko58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2017, 11:15 AM   #2

Kinda reminds you of the american cars of the early 70's....

Mark
Wileykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 08:53 AM   #3

It's quite a laughing matter now because I'm in the exact same boat. Was ready to pull the trigger on Grand Design as thinking this is the last company to put out a quality product only to go to an rv show on Friday to see the terrible build quality of the three units I looked at.

I was ready to make a deal, but after seeing what I saw I may not be purchasing another camper ever!

A tent will never have a leaky roof that destroys wood paneling and sub flooring like my last Dutchman travel trailer did within a month of purchasing new. Ohh, and the same thing happened to the second replacement trailer Dutchman offered me.

I just think of the lost memories of camping as a family. It's sad.
jeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeck View Post
It's quite a laughing matter now because I'm in the exact same boat. Was ready to pull the trigger on Grand Design as thinking this is the last company to put out a quality product only to go to an rv show on Friday to see the terrible build quality of the three units I looked at.

I was ready to make a deal, but after seeing what I saw I may not be purchasing another camper ever!

A tent will never have a leaky roof that destroys wood paneling and sub flooring like my last Dutchman travel trailer did within a month of purchasing new. Ohh, and the same thing happened to the second replacement trailer Dutchman offered me.

I just think of the lost memories of camping as a family. It's sad.
I know, as if I buy a 50K winnebago toy hauler and have problems that don't get resolved easily, that is not chump change for me. I cannot afford to spend that money and not get a quality product that will last. I may just go back to the Airstream route, it won't allow us to haul a golf cart, or a lot of smaller toys, but at least we can go camping with a trailer that holds it's value way above any of the others. Oliver is another one that should hold up, but they have absolutely no floorplans unless your a couple.
It's like everything else in life, people think they have to accept the crappy build of an rv as part of owning one.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:46 PM   #5

I just bought a 29ks.

I had to just ignore the crap build quality. It is what it is, and it's better than some others out there. All toyhaulers are junk. It seems the only way to get quality build is to buy a mid-range diesel pusher, like a Dutch Star or Allegro Bus.
JCleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 02:33 PM   #6

We have a 2007 Raptor toyhauler made by Keystone. We bought it new and like it so much better than any of their newer floor plans. We carry a 900 lb motorcycle along with numerous other things in the garage. We love the garage being separated from living space by a wall. An RV takes a beating on some of the rough roads encountered. Keystone builds a good product and we've been pleased since day one. We are snowbird's and spend 4-5 months each winter in AZ and are totally comfortable in it. It is out together very well.
Old 06-14-2017, 03:10 PM   #7

If you want Airstream quality in the build of your TT/5vr, you just may have to build it yourself.

I'm seeing a lot of utility trailer conversion that are of the best quality you can find. First, the utility or enclosed car hauler as some like to call it is starting off with an all metal roof, sides, and fender wells.

I've owned travel trailers with wood in the aforementioned areas and yes they will leak sooner or later.

You can buy a car hauler, bumper pull or 5th wheel, add in your own insulation where you want it, as much as you want, the windows with all matched up to your floor plan, and have a very robust product in the end.

You have the advantage of knowing you trailer inside and out, from electrical to plumbing, so no small maintenance issue would be beyond your capabilities to tackle.

As far as toy haulers are concerned , you are less limited on you garage weight capabilities starting off with a frame and suspension system intended to haul higher weight.

For those who are not so adventurous to take on a total self build project, there are companies out there now that offer these conversion, and some that will build to your specifications.

I think once you've owned an Airstream TT, nothing else will compare to the tight build of that design. But you can get pretty close by using a utility/car hauler trailer as a base.

Just my thoughts

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 09:52 PM   #8

right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtwallace View Post
If you want Airstream quality in the build of your TT/5vr, you just may have to build it yourself.

I'm seeing a lot of utility trailer conversion that are of the best quality you can find. First, the utility or enclosed car hauler as some like to call it is starting off with an all metal roof, sides, and fender wells.

I've owned travel trailers with wood in the aforementioned areas and yes they will leak sooner or later.

You can buy a car hauler, bumper pull or 5th wheel, add in your own insulation where you want it, as much as you want, the windows with all matched up to your floor plan, and have a very robust product in the end.

You have the advantage of knowing you trailer inside and out, from electrical to plumbing, so no small maintenance issue would be beyond your capabilities to tackle.

As far as toy haulers are concerned , you are less limited on you garage weight capabilities starting off with a frame and suspension system intended to haul higher weight.

For those who are not so adventurous to take on a total self build project, there are companies out there now that offer these conversion, and some that will build to your specifications.

I think once you've owned an Airstream TT, nothing else will compare to the tight build of that design. But you can get pretty close by using a utility/car hauler trailer as a base.

Just my thoughts

DTW

your correct, but I have no time for that. Plus cost is a factor. Yes, I like the Sundowner, just wish they had a few more floorplan options. But they look like they should last a long time
Old 06-15-2017, 07:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCleary View Post
I just bought a 29ks.

I had to just ignore the crap build quality. It is what it is, and it's better than some others out there. All toyhaulers are junk. It seems the only way to get quality build is to buy a mid-range diesel pusher, like a Dutch Star or Allegro Bus.
I disagree that all toyhaulers are junk. Our 2007 Raptor has a couple of very minor interior design flaws, but overall it is built with quality. We pull it over 3000 miles every winter along with many miles during summer months, and after changing out the crummy tires from factory, with heavier RV rated ones, no more problems.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:52 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowasnowbird View Post
.... Keystone builds a good product (2007) and we've been pleased since day one. We are snowbird's and spend 4-5 months each winter in AZ and are totally comfortable in it. It is out together very well....
Read about Keystone's current reputation with the BBB - read past the A+ rating to the complaints. You see some disturbing trends.

IMHO, Keystone builds "average" RVs at high volume. Just like Forest River.

Where Keystone sucks is servicing the product they sold. The put that on the dealer, underpay the dealers to do it, and their customers suffer. Some owners (like me) - our units have sat around waiting in line for a "warranty" repair longer than we've had them in storage.

Grand Design builds with the same type of components as Keystone and Forest River. I've seen a few take some beatings and I'd generally describe their quality as BETTER than Keystone or Forest River. Where they excel is making things right for their customer during that warranty period.

I know that Winnie bought them - that may or may not change things. Often these businesses are allowed to run as independent business units at least for a while..

Airstream is owned by Thor. Thor also produces Keystone. I've seen some "new" Airstreams that were clearly built by the same people (inside) building Thor's travel trailers.

You can't escape it. If you want a new rig that's backed by a real warranty and customer support - buy Grand Design. Quality may or may not be better than another similarly built rig. Want something different - better quality? Shop for a used (unwarrantied) DRV or something similar.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 06:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowasnowbird View Post
We have a 2007 Raptor toyhauler made by Keystone. We bought it new and like it so much better than any of their newer floor plans. We carry a 900 lb motorcycle along with numerous other things in the garage. We love the garage being separated from living space by a wall. An RV takes a beating on some of the rough roads encountered. Keystone builds a good product and we've been pleased since day one. We are snowbird's and spend 4-5 months each winter in AZ and are totally comfortable in it. It is out together very well.
I have to agree. We have a 2014 Raptor and we very are pleased. Keystone was great during warranty and even covered something after the warranty. My dealer had a lot to do with that. A good dealer will make or break your RV experience no matter what brand you buy when buying new.

We love the floor plan and have not had any major issues. The patio is a treat. I would buy another Raptor. It has treated us well. There are ways to buy Keystone parts without the dealer. Here is a great resource

https://www.trekwood.com/replacements

I have never owned a Grand Design, but the 2 I walked through were disappointing. Mouldings poorly done. Wrinkled ceilings. Crooked doors and cabinets. Nothing like our Raptor for sure.

Good luck! Keep us posted on what you buy!
Old 06-16-2017, 01:26 PM   #12

This is what I just bought for a Toyhauler
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017_Sundowner_Trailers_Cliff_Hanger_Toy_Hauler_rcAhGa.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	165449  
pedec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 01:31 PM   #13

This is trailer I owned before.
Attached Thumbnails