Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:56 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
OK, let's look at the data straight from Ford - HERE is my source.

From the 5th wheel table on page 3 of 3 in the reference above,

4x4 F350 DRW crew cab with 3.73 axle ratio:
GCWR = 29,000 lbs
Maximum loaded trailer weight = 20,300 lbs

The 33,000 GCWR and 24,400 maximum trailer rating is for the F-450 4x4 DRW crew cab with the 4.30 axle.

Do you disagree with the above????

Rusty

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2011, 08:16 AM   #16

You are mostly correct I made a small mistake the gcwr is 30000 on the 3.73 and yes you are correct 33000 with a 4.30. This is way better than trying to claim only 17k of towing by not doing research. We both did research an gave the person asking the question the correct info. I would never claim to be perfect but I think we all need to answer question with a little more discretion if one can't do this then they need not reply at all to a numbers are he numbers question. It was good going back and forth with you.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:35 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttpuller View Post
You are mostly correct I made a small mistake the gcwr is 30000 on the 3.73 and yes you are correct 33000 with a 4.30. This is way better than trying to claim only 17k of towing by not doing research. We both did research an gave the person asking the question the correct info. I would never claim to be perfect but I think we all need to answer question with a little more discretion if one can't do this then they need not reply at all to a numbers are he numbers question. It was good going back and forth with you.
If you want to insult me then here are some facts:
You can't just take the GCWR..... If you read further you will see that the MAXIMUM weight he can safely tow is 20,300# If you take the weight of his truck with him, fuel, supplies, a 300# 5th wheel hitch it's going to be around 9600#. (will be more if he has a bigger than 38 gal. tank)

Take the 29000# GCWR and deduct the 9600# truck and you have 19,400# trailer weight to be at maximum GCWR AND which puts him right at the edge of his towing limits. (so you saying he can tow 26,000 is way off the mark)

Now take the 4000# car to load up and deduct that from the 19,400# allowed and you would need a 5th that weighed in at 15,400# fully loaded max before loading the car.

I have never seen a toy hauler with that little weight plus one you could load a car in have you? Even if you found one, who wants to be loaded at their maximum weight worrying about breaking axles, blowing head gaskets and trying to stop it etc?

So maybe you should take into consideration all the facts and the safety and reliability of the unit and not what Ford says the maximum GCWR weight can be. I'm just trying to help the guy out and if you really wanted to do research to help him you would use a lot more than the GCWR rating.... and get your numbers correct.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:40 PM   #18

I'm not going to argue this point. I do these tests for a living, the max gcwr is 33000 properly equipped. All new one tons are more than capable of pulling most any recretional trailer built. If he was 26001+ he would need a cdl anyways. Also gcwr includes the race car fuel and everything else he carries so that would have to be.under the gvwr of the trailer. Also note you are the one that started thr gcwr talk. I guess you are smarter than the engineers that develop the trucks since you say it doesnt matter what ford says.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:17 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
2012 Ford Super Duty | View Towing Specifications | Ford.com

Here are the Ford 2012 tow ratings and I do not believe what I am reading.

F-450 with the 4.30 axle is rated
Ratio/ GCWR Max 5th wheel weight
4.3 33000 - - - - - - - - - - - - 24500

Personally, I'd go up to a MDT and get a real truck for that much weight.

A 24,500# 5er will have a loaded pin weight of about 4900#. What is the payload capacity of the F450?

The light truck manufacturers have gone freaking nuts.

Ken
Old 10-22-2011, 08:34 AM   #20

Thanks for all the info guys! I am a little confused now. I have gotten 3 different answers to the same question. What is the right answer? I really appreciate all the help with my question!
Old 10-22-2011, 10:20 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4850kurt View Post
Thanks for all the info guys! I am a little confused now. I have gotten 3 different answers to the same question. What is the right answer? I really appreciate all the help with my question!

It almost seems like there are several issues going on at the same time in this thread. The first is that horses probably would not travel well, if at all, in any RV toyhauler. For that application you probably need a horse trailer. Some horse trailers accomodate living quarters and are as nice or nicer than the inside of any RV toyhauler. Second is a difference of opinion as to whether a RV toyhauler is the best mode of transport for a car especially the ramp angle and weight or whether you would be better off with a car hauler enclosed trailer. And lastly there is some disagreement on how much your truck can tow. As an aside, right or wrong, many toyhaulers that weigh in around 18,000 pounds are towed by one tons. Maybe that is getting near or slightly over the one ton's abilities but that is not the issue you raised and apparently you just bought a brand new truck that has around 800 ft. lbs. of torque and likely have no appetite to buy an even bigger truck.

If you are trying to find something that will haul both horses and cars, you might look into some kind of special made trailer. You can always put a cabover camper on the truck and tow an enclosed car hauler trailer with the car inside or a small horse trailer with a bumper pull hitch. Just watch the weights of the camper and don't go overboard and the trailer tongue weights. Anyway good luck getting to what you need for what you want to do.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:21 AM   #22

I just finished typing a big post and after submitting it was told I couldn't reply because the topic was more than 673 days old. Funny, I remarked about knowing it was an old post in my first sentence. I am now going to test post after checking the "I am aware that THIS Thread is rather old, but yes I still want to make a reply." If it works I will retype the other post.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:36 AM   #23

Ok, It did work. Maybe putting the check box beside the big yellow warning would be a bit better. I truly didn't see the box before.

I did a search of "Cars in toyhaulers" and this is what came up. Quite a controversial topic about towing capacities. One I didn't think I would ever have. I had a F350 my first year pulling my Toyhauler and then found the Dark Side. I now own a 2001 Volvo 770 HDT with a singled rear end. In it's earlier days it pulled 80,000 lbs down the road and stopped it quite effectively. Didn't think I would run into the problem I am finding.

I am in the process of having a Toyhauler custom built to continue my full time RV lifestyle. I currently have a Weekend Warrior 45 ft rig with a 12 foot garage. My motorcycle rides in the trailer garage and I have a 14 ft garage on the truck for my car. I decided it might be best that maybe the car should ride in the trailer. Not that I am looking for an issue with the truck, but having only a motorcycle doesn't allow carrying much as far as repair needs for the truck and if I can't unhook, I can't get the car out.

Now the problem that I am having. I currently have an ET Senior air ride hitch it's a 4 air bag model that has a maximum capacity of 10,000 lbs pin weight. (What I thought would be plenty) Am finding out from the builder that I can have between 9000 and 12,500 lbs of hitch pin weight. WHAT????? I have a stark open floor plan with one long slide. I did request a front kitchen, but there are virtually no rooms other than the bathroom. And I am planning on a 4000 lb car to be in the garage at the back over or behind the rear most axle. I'm not an engineer, builder or math wizard but it still doesn't compute. Did or does anyone still have a car in their toyhauler, were there issues and did you just go to a car hauler with living quarters? Thanks in advance for any replies.

Rod
Old 10-01-2013, 10:23 PM   #24

May I another coach to take a look at?

I dont know if you were at the sand and sports show this year but but warrior lifestyles had a coach that had a 17 foot garage and I think would work good for what you're talking about it is modeled after the weekend warrior full throttle. and I know the ratings could handle your horses and a car