Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-20-2015, 01:00 PM   #15
Member
 
MarksFam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: AL
Posts: 63
Voltage

I've got a 44" Voltage 3970 I tow with a SRW GMC Sierra HD 2500. I haven't had an issue towing yet (trucks a beast). I notice my bed doesn't drop nearly as far in this truck as it did with my Dodge DRW. (I did use to tow with a Dodge Ram 3500 DRW) I got so tired of dealing with parking with the DRW and realized it was unnecessary with the amazing towing and cargo capacity specs on the GMC Sierra, plus better fuel mileage and nicer interior. I feel like I have a lot more control over the load with the Sierra as opposed to my Dodge. I weighed my truck and trailer loaded and empty and made sure I was within all the limits of the truck etc etc.

As for the rig, I haven't had any issues. I plan on trading down to something smaller eventually. Great interior and fully loaded with everything you could want. No major maintenance issues other than usual stuff I think any RV experiences when you first buy it and take it for a shakedown. Best of luck with your hunt.
__________________

__________________
2015 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Denali
2014 Voltage 3970 Epic III
MarksFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2015, 06:40 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Big-Foot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Kenyon, MN
Posts: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarksFam View Post
I've got a 44" Voltage 3970 I tow with a SRW GMC Sierra HD 2500. I haven't had an issue towing yet (trucks a beast). I notice my bed doesn't drop nearly as far in this truck as it did with my Dodge DRW. (I did use to tow with a Dodge Ram 3500 DRW) I got so tired of dealing with parking with the DRW and realized it was unnecessary with the amazing towing and cargo capacity specs on the GMC Sierra, plus better fuel mileage and nicer interior. I feel like I have a lot more control over the load with the Sierra as opposed to my Dodge. I weighed my truck and trailer loaded and empty and made sure I was within all the limits of the truck etc etc.

As for the rig, I haven't had any issues. I plan on trading down to something smaller eventually. Great interior and fully loaded with everything you could want. No major maintenance issues other than usual stuff I think any RV experiences when you first buy it and take it for a shakedown. Best of luck with your hunt.
That Voltage is a doggoned nice unit, but at 15,868# empty and 3462# hitch weight, I can't see how you're doing it with a 2500 truck with any sort of safety margin unless you tow only empty..
For the 2015 GM 2500 HD, 17,900 & 3560 was what I had recalled in my notes as max when I was looking at new trucks.. Nice truck, but its gotta be at its limit..
__________________

__________________
Regards - Randy & Dar
2015 F350 CrewCab DRW 6.7/409 PSD - 2008 Rage'n Stryker 4005 fifth-wheel Toy Hauler - 2014 Arctic Cat Wildcat Trail-XT SxS just-4-grins
Big-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 08:52 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Scottybdivin's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Spicewood Texas (West of Austin)
Posts: 3,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Foot View Post
That Voltage is a doggoned nice unit, but at 15,868# empty and 3462# hitch weight, I can't see how you're doing it with a 2500 truck with any sort of safety margin unless you tow only empty..
For the 2015 GM 2500 HD, 17,900 & 3560 was what I had recalled in my notes as max when I was looking at new trucks.. Nice truck, but its gotta be at its limit..
I agree but I was thinking a 2500 CC 4x4 has a max cargo of 2600 plus or minus, depending on how it is optioned out. That Voltage hase a 20K GVWR. Most factory weights do not include optional equipment, such a generators, additional AC's, etc. My previous toy hauler weighed almost 1000 lbs more off the assembly line, than it's posted dry weight.
__________________
Scotty and Kristen, Airedales Dagny and Wyatt
2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 4528, 450 HP ISM, Allison 4000, 8 Trojan T-105's
2014 F150 4x4 Crew Cab Platinum 157" WB
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 12:40 AM   #18
Junior Member
 
VegasRam3500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Henderson NV
Posts: 14
I just traded in my 2500 Cummins for a 3500 Dually as my Fuzion 405 was too heavy. The old truck could of pulled it but the safety is another issue. Stopping...
__________________
2011 Keystone Fuzion 405
2015 Ram 3500 DRW HO Diesel, Aisin Tranny 4.10
Wife 2 sons 8 & 12 Duke, Rosco, Rocky and Princess
VegasRam3500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:12 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
C130's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Magnolia, TX
Posts: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarksFam View Post
I've got a 44" Voltage 3970 I tow with a SRW GMC Sierra HD 2500. I haven't had an issue towing yet (trucks a beast). I notice my bed doesn't drop nearly as far in this truck as it did with my Dodge DRW. (I did use to tow with a Dodge Ram 3500 DRW) I got so tired of dealing with parking with the DRW and realized it was unnecessary with the amazing towing and cargo capacity specs on the GMC Sierra, plus better fuel mileage and nicer interior. I feel like I have a lot more control over the load with the Sierra as opposed to my Dodge. I weighed my truck and trailer loaded and empty and made sure I was within all the limits of the truck etc etc.

Not trying to start the whole weight argument but there's no way a 2500 SRW truck is even close to being within the limits with a 44' toy hauler. That is way too much trailer for that truck.
__________________
2015 F450
2015 Momentum 385TH
2011 Fuzion 322 Touring Edition III (sold)
C130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 03:24 PM   #20
DDW
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 8
I don't mean to steal this thread but I am going out west this summer through the mountains. That can I do to save on the trans. driving in the mountains?
__________________
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 08:13 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Chandler, Az
Posts: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDW View Post
I don't mean to steal this thread but I am going out west this summer through the mountains. That can I do to save on the trans. driving in the mountains?
The best thing you can do to save the tranny,...is to not force the truck to race up the hills. If it starts to slow down,...just realize that it's ok to not have the throttle through the floor. Even with the truck in my sig,...if have to slow down on a hill, due to a curve,...whatever speed i'm at coming out of that curve with, is what i finish the climb with.
__________________
Bigg-limo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 09:13 AM   #22
Member
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 39
Check out my Newmar Toy Hauler...yes, Newmar made toy haulers...they were a big notch ahead of all the rest. Not just saying that...check out and compare. Its a great unit and everything works from the 5500w auto start genset to the consealed ramp door hardware. Newmar is an innovator and forces the market with high quality 5th wheels and high end motorcoaches.

So if you are om the market I have this one for fraction of the cost of new. I can answer any questions or just give experienced information.

Good Luck
__________________

__________________
Tom, Marci, Nicolas, Bryce and our dog, Casey
'06 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV and 2014 JKU Sport
http://roamingfree2010.blogspot.com/
Camper_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
5th wheel



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Winnebago Destination 5th Wheel update mcumbie Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 17 11-02-2015 11:01 PM
What length Pick up bed is best to pull a 5th wheel toy hauler? Lak Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion 33 05-07-2014 08:22 AM
Best 5th wheel toy hauler combination eggs1959 5th Wheel Discussion 13 03-10-2014 11:49 AM
Hi from SW CO - How much 5th Wheel Can I Tow? BOBCO 5th Wheel Discussion 34 02-20-2014 11:38 AM
Making the switch to a 5th wheel fishermark 5th Wheel Discussion 52 12-31-2013 08:10 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.