Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2015, 12:00 PM   #15

Voltage

I've got a 44" Voltage 3970 I tow with a SRW GMC Sierra HD 2500. I haven't had an issue towing yet (trucks a beast). I notice my bed doesn't drop nearly as far in this truck as it did with my Dodge DRW. (I did use to tow with a Dodge Ram 3500 DRW) I got so tired of dealing with parking with the DRW and realized it was unnecessary with the amazing towing and cargo capacity specs on the GMC Sierra, plus better fuel mileage and nicer interior. I feel like I have a lot more control over the load with the Sierra as opposed to my Dodge. I weighed my truck and trailer loaded and empty and made sure I was within all the limits of the truck etc etc.

As for the rig, I haven't had any issues. I plan on trading down to something smaller eventually. Great interior and fully loaded with everything you could want. No major maintenance issues other than usual stuff I think any RV experiences when you first buy it and take it for a shakedown. Best of luck with your hunt.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2015, 05:40 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarksFam View Post
I've got a 44" Voltage 3970 I tow with a SRW GMC Sierra HD 2500. I haven't had an issue towing yet (trucks a beast). I notice my bed doesn't drop nearly as far in this truck as it did with my Dodge DRW. (I did use to tow with a Dodge Ram 3500 DRW) I got so tired of dealing with parking with the DRW and realized it was unnecessary with the amazing towing and cargo capacity specs on the GMC Sierra, plus better fuel mileage and nicer interior. I feel like I have a lot more control over the load with the Sierra as opposed to my Dodge. I weighed my truck and trailer loaded and empty and made sure I was within all the limits of the truck etc etc.

As for the rig, I haven't had any issues. I plan on trading down to something smaller eventually. Great interior and fully loaded with everything you could want. No major maintenance issues other than usual stuff I think any RV experiences when you first buy it and take it for a shakedown. Best of luck with your hunt.
That Voltage is a doggoned nice unit, but at 15,868# empty and 3462# hitch weight, I can't see how you're doing it with a 2500 truck with any sort of safety margin unless you tow only empty..
For the 2015 GM 2500 HD, 17,900 & 3560 was what I had recalled in my notes as max when I was looking at new trucks.. Nice truck, but its gotta be at its limit..
Old 02-22-2015, 07:52 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Foot View Post
That Voltage is a doggoned nice unit, but at 15,868# empty and 3462# hitch weight, I can't see how you're doing it with a 2500 truck with any sort of safety margin unless you tow only empty..
For the 2015 GM 2500 HD, 17,900 & 3560 was what I had recalled in my notes as max when I was looking at new trucks.. Nice truck, but its gotta be at its limit..
I agree but I was thinking a 2500 CC 4x4 has a max cargo of 2600 plus or minus, depending on how it is optioned out. That Voltage hase a 20K GVWR. Most factory weights do not include optional equipment, such a generators, additional AC's, etc. My previous toy hauler weighed almost 1000 lbs more off the assembly line, than it's posted dry weight.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:40 PM   #18

I just traded in my 2500 Cummins for a 3500 Dually as my Fuzion 405 was too heavy. The old truck could of pulled it but the safety is another issue. Stopping...
VegasRam3500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:12 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarksFam View Post

Not trying to start the whole weight argument but there's no way a 2500 SRW truck is even close to being within the limits with a 44' toy hauler. That is way too much trailer for that truck.
C130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 02:24 PM   #20
DDW

I don't mean to steal this thread but I am going out west this summer through the mountains. That can I do to save on the trans. driving in the mountains?
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 07:13 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDW View Post
I don't mean to steal this thread but I am going out west this summer through the mountains. That can I do to save on the trans. driving in the mountains?
The best thing you can do to save the tranny,...is to not force the truck to race up the hills. If it starts to slow down,...just realize that it's ok to not have the throttle through the floor. Even with the truck in my sig,...if have to slow down on a hill, due to a curve,...whatever speed i'm at coming out of that curve with, is what i finish the climb with.
Old 05-04-2015, 08:13 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Check out my Newmar Toy Hauler...yes, Newmar made toy haulers...they were a big notch ahead of all the rest. Not just saying that...check out and compare. Its a great unit and everything works from the 5500w auto start genset to the consealed ramp door hardware. Newmar is an innovator and forces the market with high quality 5th wheels and high end motorcoaches.

So if you are om the market I have this one for fraction of the cost of new. I can answer any questions or just give experienced information.

Good Luck
Camper_boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel