Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-01-2005, 07:45 AM   #1

we camped @ Pechanga this weekend and found our water heater would not work...
Now, for the record, I was not all that worried about it.. But the wifie was none too happy.. I went out and looked at it and =found nothing out of the ordinary. I do not recall what trouble shooting steps I was shown during my extensive PDI so we left it broken..
When I flip the switch inside the trailer the indicator light would not, well, light.
Any ideas???
Other than that it was a good weekend and the kids thoroughly enjoyed the pool and hot dogs all weekend...

\Noob

06 WW LE3305
TH_NOOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2005, 07:45 AM   #2

we camped @ Pechanga this weekend and found our water heater would not work...
Now, for the record, I was not all that worried about it.. But the wifie was none too happy.. I went out and looked at it and =found nothing out of the ordinary. I do not recall what trouble shooting steps I was shown during my extensive PDI so we left it broken..
When I flip the switch inside the trailer the indicator light would not, well, light.
Any ideas???
Other than that it was a good weekend and the kids thoroughly enjoyed the pool and hot dogs all weekend...

\Noob

06 WW LE3305
Old 08-01-2005, 05:02 PM   #3

Noob.... any luck yet?

You can call the WW 800 number and they
could give you some quick trouble shooting.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:08 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
Noob, the first two simple things would be 1. Ccheck for spark. When it's dark one person look at the water heater, another activate the switch. 2. If there is a spark then it's mostlikely a gas issue. Perhaps just air in the line. How long has it been since the heater was used?
Hoverbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 06:09 PM   #5

\Bob!!

No heater? Does it even try to light? Can you hear anything there, clicking, ANYTHING?

Me...Master Of The Obvious (and one to replace a fuel pump in my younger years when all it was was a fuse)...I'm gonna just have to ask it...yes...did you check the fuses? You can flog me later, but I just had to ask!

Sean
Old 08-02-2005, 03:55 PM   #6

The fuse??
hmm.. Have to check that.. Theres a reason they call me th_noob.... haha

Fuse is ok.. I hear no clicking when the misses flips the switch..

Anyway, I am taking her in to Perris for the post PDI rollup so they can fix it then.. Thanks for the tips though.. Fuse.. hmm have to remember that one..

06 WW LE3305
Old 08-02-2005, 04:14 PM   #7

NOOB if you need to use it until you go to WW you can light it just like the oven with a long wooden match. Sounds like your igniter is on the fritz.

WWFan here is a good one in the "Doh" department. I tore the whole top end off a small block 400 as a teenager only to find a cracked distributor cap.!!!
Griz

06 LE 3505
Grizwald2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 05:10 PM   #8

I had a ignitor ground problem. Heard the clicking but no light. Course I had the wife hit the switch for me while I truned the ignitor causing the ground screw to make better contact. I'll bet I looked pretty darn funny walking around all weekend with no eyebrows and half a mustash. Moral of this story is be very careful when working with propane. That baby threw out one he!! of a fire ball.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:57 PM   #9

Griz: Yeap...that's a "DOOOHHH"!! Well at least you learned how to scrape gaskets, ey?!

BB: You didn't, by chance, have a lit lighter in your hand, did cha? That method of finding gas leaks works every time- just not the safest of 'em all. But whatdayagonnado when you don't have any soap and water? Dance?!

Too much fun (errr....now!).

Sean
Old 08-02-2005, 06:22 PM   #10

BB,

I've been there before also... Nothing stinks more than burned facial hair.

But it kept the camp laughin all weekend...

Clark

2005 F350 PSD CC DRW Tow Boss
C.CARNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 06:52 PM   #11

We could probably start a friday nite chat about this topic. I don't have the nickname of bushfire among old friends for nothing.

06 LE 3505
Grizwald2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 07:11 PM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">We could probably start a friday nite chat about this topic. I don't have the nickname of bushfire among old friends for nothing </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK...it's Friday night, and NO BUSHFIRE! And we're 'old' friends!!
Old 08-05-2005, 07:28 PM   #13

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
youse guys talkin' Bushmills or Bushfire ??
... one often starts another
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 07:39 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Actually there could be several things that would cause this but.....

You say that you do not hear "Clicking" which means it is not getting 12V D.C.

Here are a few things you can do to try to "Trouble shoot" it..

Unscrew the two screws holding the switch in the wall. Check for 12 volt DC there. If you don't have it there then you will need to check between there and the fuse panel.

Sometimes the bulb that lights beside the switch screws up. But not very often.

If you have not done so already,

Have someone operate the switch while you are out by the water heater. You should hear two things operate.

1. you should hear the gas "Solenoid" (Valve) operate which lets the LG pass to the burner.

2. You should hear the "Igniter" start to spark. Which lights the gas... A tick, tick tick sound several times in a rapid pace.

IF both of these things are happening, you may want to blow out the flame tube with compressed air. Or run a LONG pipe cleaner through the tube. Spiders LOVE these things when a rig sits for a while...

If one or both are not happening, then we can dive deeper into the inner workings of the water heater.

Make a post of your findings.