Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2006, 07:55 AM   #1

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

By JONATHAN SHIKES
The Press-Enterprise

Inland Southern California is home to nearly a dozen RV makers. National RV, with 1,000 employees, and Weekend Warrior, with 1,500, are two of the largest.

In a move symbolizing the recent decline of one Inland RV maker and the rise of another, National RV Holdings will sell its 50-acre Perris compound to Weekend Warrior Holdings and plans to lease back the property as a tenant.

The $33.5 million deal, scheduled to close Dec. 21, will allow National RV to lease the space for 10 years with two five-year renewal options.

It will provide the publicly traded National RV with much-needed cash and a way to pay off some of its debt, Chief Executive Brad Albrechtsen said in a statement.

No one from National RV returned calls seeking comment.

National RV has been steadily losing money for the past six years as it struggled with internal problems and a declining market for motor homes.

Earlier this month, it reported a $7.1 million quarterly loss, as sales slipped 15 percent over the same time last year. Between 2001 and 2005, National RV has lost more than $68.5 million. Its share price is near historic lows.

In August, longtime investor and board member Bob Lee resigned, saying he had lost confidence in the 42-year-old company's ability to survive.

And in July, the company said it would have to rebuild 72 motor homes after discovering they had been manufactured with defective fiberglass panels.

National RV has sued the panel makers, Stamford, Conn.-based Crane Co. and its subsidiary, Kemlite.

As National RV suffered, however, Weekend Warrior has blossomed.

Founded in 1988 by Mark Warmoth, the Perris-based firm has grown into a $275 million powerhouse known for pioneering the "toy hauler" segment of the industry.

Popular in California and the southwestern U.S., toy haulers are trailers featuring living quarters in the front and a garage in back for off-road vehicles.

Last month, the company, which has outgrown its headquarters, bought an 80,000-square-foot former military building on 17 acres in the Meridian business park, just south of Riverside and west of Interstate 215. Terms were not disclosed.

The privately held manufacturer, which previously made only trailers, unveiled its first motorized RVs at a consumer show in Pomona last month.

"We need room, baby," Gary Denton, vice president of sales and marketing for Weekend Warrior, said Wednesday. "We are in awe of our own growth."

Denton said Warmoth believes it is a good time to invest in commercial real estate and could choose to build more factory space on the land in the future.

Weekend Warrior already had close ties to its one-time competitor. In 2004, it bought National RV's travel-trailer line and still leases 80,000-square- feet of space in National RV's plant, Denton said. National RV only makes motor homes now.

National RV's production there has slipped from about 60 units per week at one time to less than 40 in recent months, meaning the 600,000-square- foot complex is only running at about 35 percent of its capacity, Albrechtsen said last week.

National RV Holdings also owns Country Coach Inc., a Junction City, Ore.-based luxury motor homes builder that has been doing well.

Previous Rig: 2012 Itasca 30'
56Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2006, 07:55 AM   #2

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

By JONATHAN SHIKES
The Press-Enterprise

Inland Southern California is home to nearly a dozen RV makers. National RV, with 1,000 employees, and Weekend Warrior, with 1,500, are two of the largest.

In a move symbolizing the recent decline of one Inland RV maker and the rise of another, National RV Holdings will sell its 50-acre Perris compound to Weekend Warrior Holdings and plans to lease back the property as a tenant.

The $33.5 million deal, scheduled to close Dec. 21, will allow National RV to lease the space for 10 years with two five-year renewal options.

It will provide the publicly traded National RV with much-needed cash and a way to pay off some of its debt, Chief Executive Brad Albrechtsen said in a statement.

No one from National RV returned calls seeking comment.

National RV has been steadily losing money for the past six years as it struggled with internal problems and a declining market for motor homes.

Earlier this month, it reported a $7.1 million quarterly loss, as sales slipped 15 percent over the same time last year. Between 2001 and 2005, National RV has lost more than $68.5 million. Its share price is near historic lows.

In August, longtime investor and board member Bob Lee resigned, saying he had lost confidence in the 42-year-old company's ability to survive.

And in July, the company said it would have to rebuild 72 motor homes after discovering they had been manufactured with defective fiberglass panels.

National RV has sued the panel makers, Stamford, Conn.-based Crane Co. and its subsidiary, Kemlite.

As National RV suffered, however, Weekend Warrior has blossomed.

Founded in 1988 by Mark Warmoth, the Perris-based firm has grown into a $275 million powerhouse known for pioneering the "toy hauler" segment of the industry.

Popular in California and the southwestern U.S., toy haulers are trailers featuring living quarters in the front and a garage in back for off-road vehicles.

Last month, the company, which has outgrown its headquarters, bought an 80,000-square-foot former military building on 17 acres in the Meridian business park, just south of Riverside and west of Interstate 215. Terms were not disclosed.

The privately held manufacturer, which previously made only trailers, unveiled its first motorized RVs at a consumer show in Pomona last month.

"We need room, baby," Gary Denton, vice president of sales and marketing for Weekend Warrior, said Wednesday. "We are in awe of our own growth."

Denton said Warmoth believes it is a good time to invest in commercial real estate and could choose to build more factory space on the land in the future.

Weekend Warrior already had close ties to its one-time competitor. In 2004, it bought National RV's travel-trailer line and still leases 80,000-square- feet of space in National RV's plant, Denton said. National RV only makes motor homes now.

National RV's production there has slipped from about 60 units per week at one time to less than 40 in recent months, meaning the 600,000-square- foot complex is only running at about 35 percent of its capacity, Albrechtsen said last week.

National RV Holdings also owns Country Coach Inc., a Junction City, Ore.-based luxury motor homes builder that has been doing well.

Old 12-22-2006, 08:00 AM   #3

Thanks there for the info, Howie!

No doubt that Mark's not hurting...

...got this from the other site.
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 08:38 AM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WWFan:

...got this from the other site. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sean,

Wow, do you know how long that sucker is? And, how does look out his windows?

Old 12-22-2006, 09:05 AM   #5

THAT is some serious iron. Is it a custom build or does it have a model #? Is there a floor plan I can look at? I can pull it, but it would be tough in a tight turn. They should have put triple duals on it. Are those 15" tires on it?
2000 Volvo 660 425hp 1550ft/lbs torque, 15 speed. 2006 Canadian Sport 385 RLTS (40'10") triple slide 5'er, Trailair pinbox, Onan 5500 Marquis Platnum, 300 watts solar, 3000 watt inverter, 2003 Harley Davidson Road King. 3 Polaris Sportsman quads, 94
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 10:03 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Boy, if he'd send me one of those and give me a marketing budget I'd be happy to run around the midwest putting on parties and generating sales leads.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 02:13 PM   #7

Now honey I said stand where I can see you and tell me which way to go......Never gonna happen in the Grizwald family. Looks cool thou I would like to see the inside for sure. I was at the tire dealer getting new tires on the Honda which is right next to Giant where I bought my LE. I had an hour to kill so I went exploring and ended up in a 40 foot Full Throttle that had slides on both sides. Dang thing was about 16 feet wide. Amazing. Asked what they were going for and was told 67 and with all the options.....90 thousand dollars.....Sure glad I bought my little LE when I did.

Griz

06 LE 3505
Grizwald2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 05:36 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
I'm with you Griz. I look at the prices nowadays and think, boy, am I sure glad I got what I wanted when I did. I put Giant and a new dealer in Texas in a bidding war for my SLC and I think I came out the winner although I know there was still more there as the guy at Giant was so ticked off that he offered me another grand and free delivery if I would change my mind. I told him he had already had his chance and I was going to stick with my deal in Texas. Now I think they are one of the biggest toyhauler dealers in this part of the country. Probably couldn't get a deal there if you had to now. Unless something happens, it'll be the last toyhauler I'll ever buy.
Old 12-23-2006, 05:55 AM   #9

Wow....that thing is awesome!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WWFan:

...got this from the other site. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 12-24-2006, 03:25 AM   #10

Is is 53 feet long and pulled by a F650. Thing is one of the baddest toyhaulers I have seen. I would love to see more pics of the interior and garage area. The garage should be about 25 feet long.

2004 Fleetwood Gearbox
NEVERENOUGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 05:41 AM   #11
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chipster27:
Wow....that thing is awesome! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Chipster27, WELCOME to iRV2 and Congrats on the 1st post!!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 05:55 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rebelsbeach:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chipster27:

Hey Chipster27, WELCOME to iRV2 and Congrats on the 1st post!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Chipster27, welcome to the forum, we're glad to have you posting here.
Old 12-24-2006, 06:30 AM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bearman:
... but it would be tough in a tight turn. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you kidding? That sukka only goes in a straight line. You need a turntable like at the train depots to turn that baby!

Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze!

2BlueHeelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 06:32 AM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vette Racer:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rebelsbeach:

Hey Chipster27, WELCOME to iRV2 and Congrats on the 1st post!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Chipster27, welcome to the forum, we're glad to have you posting here. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There goes the neighborhood.

Mark my words... there will be jello stains on the carpet in no time here!

2BlueHeelers is offline   Reply With Quote